Networking Ideas / Setups
As of now I only have my desktop and my wifes mac. I don't keep my computer on during the day because it is a little bit of a power hog and I haven't needed to remote into it from work. I am thinking of Two options when dealing with media when we move into a house. (and I want a PVR)

Option 1)
Build a file server/ low powered PC that would hold all my media and the 4 channel TV tuner card. I would then build cheep HTPC running of course XBMCLive for any of the TV's we will have. (or locations such as Kitchen) I would then be able to stream media and TV to anywhere I wanted.

Option 2)
A second option would be to build the HTPC for the main tv and have it hold all the media. It would also serve as the PVR. I could then stream media from that HTPC to other locations.

So what would you do?

How do you handle your media?

And is it possible to set up MythTV in XBMC record to another computer?
Build a HTPC with DVR functions....

Then build a central NAS PC that would hold all your Media
which will be accessible buy your HTPC or MAC...

same when you'll record with your HTPC...
stuff will be saved on your NAS!
I am always a supporter of having a media server back-end and HTPC client front-end... but you have to think through your situation and decide what is right for you.

I would not personally classify this as a "networking" question as your thread titles hints at... this is more of a personal preference for your media.

Your decision may depend on how often you watch media on other devices. If you plan to expand and have more XBMC boxes on multiple TVs in your home. If so, then definitely go for a media server back-end to handle all of the ripping, encoding, TV tuner cards (recording), file sharing, etc. This will take all of the noise out of your living room and into a closet... and will also allow multiple client HTPCs to access the content.

Yes, you can combine these tasks into one machine... but the downfall would be noise, heat, and a large box in your living room. Many people prefer a smaller footprint for their HTPC box and they want it to run quietly so it does not disturb viewers. Wink

Take these suggestions with a grain of salt, as they are all personal preferences. Many people recommend designating one box as a backend server to deal with all supplemental tasks (including cool services like SABnzbd, SickBeard, Couch Potato, etc) and another box for streaming the content to your home theater.

Have fun whatever you decide Big Grin
Thanks for the input. I have some things to consider when starting my builds.
Personally I currently have a HTPC in my basement that handles the "heavy" lifting. This resides in the "man cave".

It handles all of my XBMC tasks, file serving, etc. Along with a few other non-HTPC tasks.

I just built a 2nd HTPC for the living room. It's only goal in life is to play content from the server in the basement. So it didn't need the horsepower the first one did.

I plan on building a dedicated NAS that'll also be able to rip my DVDs/Blu-ray disks. It'll be the sickbeard/couchpotato/Sab box. And it'll perform most of the "other" tasks that the current basement box does.

But in the end - it is definitely 100% up to you and your financial situation and living situation and actual needs.
tmyoungjr Wrote:Personally I currently have a HTPC in my basement that handles the "heavy" lifting. This resides in the "man cave".

It handles all of my XBMC tasks, file serving, etc. Along with a few other non-HTPC tasks.

This is basically my solution as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Networking Ideas / Setups0