[LIVE] Mounting a local HDD & sharing it across the LAN?
Hey all,

I am new to XBMC and looking for a bit of advice about potential functionality.

What I have done so far is install XBMC on a 4Gb USB key on a PC with no HDD and pointed it at my NAS where my media is stored. All is running well!

However, I had this idea that maybe I could stick a big HDD in the PC and do away with the NAS. So my questions are as follows
  • Would XBMC installed on a USB key see a 2TB internal disk?
  • If so, how would I go about setting this up?
  • And once done, could I share this drive so that the rest of my Windows PC's on the LAN could access it as a mapped drive?
  • Could I expect full network throughput (up to the limit of the HDD) assuming gigabit throughout?

Please be aware that I know nothing of Linux etc, so if that kind of knowledge is needed to achieve this, I might be better installing it on Windows? Don't really want to do that though as I like the idea of the small Live footprint and less to go wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Nathan.
Morning all.

Has anyone had any thoughts about this? Would it be easier if I just installed xbmc live on a large internal disk as opposed to a USB key? Could I easily share the folder were my media then?

Thanks.

Nathan.
Natf Wrote:Hey all,

I am new to XBMC and looking for a bit of advice about potential functionality.

Please be aware that I know nothing of Linux etc, so if that kind of knowledge is needed to achieve this, I might be better installing it on Windows? Don't really want to do that though as I like the idea of the small Live footprint and less to go wrong.

Nathan.

What you're after is possible but it definitely depends on some linux knowledge. You'd have to install extra software on the xbmc live image (possible, since it's just a customized ubuntu...but probably has some hangups that i don't know about).

If i wanted to do this I'd probably start with ubuntu and add xbmc to it...but that can be tricky too.

Given that

a) it works now

b) you don't want to learn linux,

i'd say try another solution. Like leave the nas in place and go watch a movie or read a book. Wink
Hey Dan,

Thanks for that. I didn't actually say I didn't want to learn linux, just that I knew nothing of it Big Grin I'd actually be quite interested, but I guess I'd need to come back to this topic once I had a better understanding of Ubuntu.

I know I could happily install it on Windows and share it that way, but I just really love the way the live image is just that, with nothing else getting in the way.

Either way I think I am sticking with XBMC as it's just so impressive the way it trundles off to the net and gets the metadata for all my media. Love it!

Cheers,

Nathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Mounting a local HDD & sharing it across the LAN?0