• 32(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-03-05, 04:42)agender Wrote: Edit: Asus also makes VivoPC with Haswell CPU and 820m GPU. Could be an option for some. Asus seems to still like nvidia gpu it seems like.
There is a lot to like.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Plus, $500 get you the i3, 4gb of ram, and 500gb HDD. Not bad, but not sure why they made it switchable(not sure if the Atom variant is switchable) as this a pc not notebook.
(2015-03-04, 21:08)Matt Devo Wrote: well, if you are searching for 'acer revo chromebox' then you're not likely to find it as that's not the correct name (there's no 'revo' in it)
Thanks for that piece ! Wink

(2015-03-04, 21:08)Matt Devo Wrote: you can add a USB SPDIF output to a ChromeBox for ~$20 (see the wiki), but your reasoning for not feeding the HDMI signal thru your AVR first isn't supported by factual data, and in fact, is what AVRs are designed to do.
Maybe it is but that means replacing my perfectly good (more than that actually) amp that does not supprot HDMI (dates right before it came out) just to have HDMI plug
Boosts my budget by at least 800$ to get same level of hardware...
  • Raspberry Pi 3 - Libreelec 9.0.1
  • Odroid C2 - Libreelec 8.2.5 & Libreelec 9.0.1
My amp does have HDMI either, but your post strongly implied that you didn't want to run HDMI thru your AVR for purity reasons, not because it didn't support it - that's what I was referring to
I reread my post and I agree it was unclear/unprecise Confused
Sorry about that Angel

What I meant was :
I need spdif/optical (no HDMI plug on my amp that I m trying to avoid changing) and I am not a fan (maybe cause I m old school) of having a type of signal just passing through (sometimes with changes) a device that does not require to transfer that signal.
If I change my amp, the replacement will definitely do Full HD => 4K upscaling, that could be good but I still think that s not an amp's job (old school again most probably)

Once again I do not say I m right, it's more like a question, maybe I'm wrong and it's definitely worth !! Huh
Does going with an NVidia gpu offer any advantage(cpus will be the similar if not the same)?
Would going mobile intel cpu(ie m variant not U) offer any advantages?
I think the replacement to for the Amazon Fire TV box is here Big Grin It puts out 60 Hz 4k video and has audio passthrough! Comes bundled with Plex too.

Nvidia Shield Console

Specs:

Processor NVIDIA® Tegra® X1 processor with 256-core Maxwell™ GPU with 3GB RAM
Video Features 4K Ultra-HD Ready with 4K playback and capture up to 60 fps (VP9, H265, H264)
Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192kHz over HDMI and USB
High-resolution audio upsample to 24-bit/192hHz over USB
Storage 16 GB
Wireless 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 4.1/BLE
Interfaces Gigabit Ethernet
HDMI 2.0
Two USB 3.0 (Type A)
Micro-USB 2.0
MicroSD slot (supports 128GB cards)
IR Receiver (compatible with Logitech Harmony)
Gaming Features NVIDIA GRID™ streaming service
NVIDIA GameStream™
SW Updates SHIELD software upgrades directly from NVIDIA
Power 40W power adapter
OS Android TV™, Google Cast™ Ready
Bundled Apps PLEX
In the box NVIDIA SHIELD
NVIDIA SHIELD controller
HDMI cable (High Speed), USB cable (Micro-USB to USB)
Power adapter (Includes plugs for North America, Europe, UK)
Requirements TV with HDMI input, Internet access
Options SHIELD controller, SHIELD remove, SHIELD stand

Weight and Size Weight: 23oz / 654g
Height: 5.1in / 130mm
Width: 8.3in / 210mm
Depth: 1.0in / 25mm
Hmm ... is this for sale anywhere?

Smile
I don't think so, but the price is $200 for the base model.
(2015-03-06, 06:43)mpmp Wrote: Hmm ... is this for sale anywhere?

Smile

Goes on sale in May! Not for me since I have a custom built HTPC, BUT this seems like the perfect solution for my parents and sisters.
(2015-03-06, 00:38)AudioBeast Wrote: I think the replacement to for the Amazon Fire TV box is here Big Grin It puts out 60 Hz 4k video and has audio passthrough! Comes bundled with Plex too.
Is it me or are you over enthousiastic about the fact that it comes with PLex bundled on a Kodi fourm ? Wink

Apart from that it looks hot and powerful, NNNNNNEEEEEEEEDDD Nod
(2015-03-06, 10:47)jeffjoker Wrote:
(2015-03-06, 00:38)AudioBeast Wrote: I think the replacement to for the Amazon Fire TV box is here Big Grin It puts out 60 Hz 4k video and has audio passthrough! Comes bundled with Plex too.
Is it me or are you over enthousiastic about the fact that it comes with PLex bundled on a Kodi fourm ? Wink

Apart from that it looks hot and powerful, NNNNNNEEEEEEEEDDD Nod

Lol, no. I prefer Kodi over everything. I just mentioned Plex because it seems like they put some thought in allowing this console to work with mkvs and possibly Blu iso support.
Which works better for kodi the J1900 Atom Celeron CPU, or the 4th gen Celeron CPU? Also, is there a device besides the HP Mini to offer a Pentium CPU?
Celeron and Atom and Pentium mean different things at different times. They are just Intel brand names. You need to be a bit more precise.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26