• 40(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-03-26, 23:51)Philmatic Wrote: Android is what kills it. A Chromebox with Linux gives you waaaaaaaay better performance, and only for $20-$40 more than a Nexus player.

Asus Chromebox is significantly more expensive in Australia. Even if I go via Amazon, before delivery NP is $90USD (delivered $103) whereas Chromebox is $149USD ($163). There are options for a new NP even cheaper but they won't ship to me so I have to pick the Amazon fulfilment option. Is there somewhere to get a Chromebox cheaper than $149 that I can't seem to find?

(2015-03-27, 01:11)Tinwarble Wrote: It hasn't been "glossed over", apparently you just didn't search hard enough. Wink

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...xus+player

I read through that entire thread and found a fair few people saying NP is awesome, now their goto HTPC, etc, but that kinda contrasts with this thread that doesn't mention it anywhere. Was hoping to understand why its not here - I'm hoping that there isn't something I've missed because it seems pretty capable and surely worth a mention. I see the other threads as discussions specifically about the particular units, not really about comparison (which is why I asked my question here).

I see the NP as in the same class as the FireTV box, but I see many pros to the NP. Was just curious why the FTV is the pick over the NP (not just why the FTV is a good pick generally).
I've seen via amazon warehouse deals the HP Chromebox going for $105, for an open box. If they come back in stock there and they ship to you that is an option no? Or try ebay as I've seen the Acer and Asus both going for under $120 refurb.

Is there a way to install full Linux on the Nexus player? Can ram be upgraded?
(2015-03-27, 02:26)agender Wrote: I've seen via amazon warehouse deals the HP Chromebox going for $105, for an open box. If they come back in stock there and they ship to you that is an option no? Or try ebay as I've seen the Acer and Asus both going for under $120 refurb.

Thanks for the tip on the warehouse deals - didn't even know this was a thing! Can't find any quite that cheap but $15 off for damaged outer packaging sounds fine to me

Edit: Looks like they wont ship the warehouse deals to me. boooo Sad
Try ebay then?
(2015-03-27, 05:28)agender Wrote: Try ebay then?

for some reason more expensive than amazon on base price and even worse after shipping. all good. cheers for your help
Just ordered one Fire TV. Lets see how it fares against my current WDTV Live. Smile Will keep you guys posted.
I think at this point anything is going to be a marked improvement over the WDTV LIve. I had one before moving to an Intel NUC, and wow did it take it's sweet time to just turn on and load an app(which there was a good many of).
I'm looking at getting a celeron chromebox. 2 quick questions:

1. Does the glowing report in the OP for chromeboxes still apply to chromebooks? See what I really need is a lightweight laptop so I'm thinking a lightweight laptop with great xbmc compatibility sounds perfect just for watching in bed etc, not for connecting to a screen and disconnecting every time.

2. Anyone know about all the different model numbers? I don't know what they all mean. Just worried I might get a crap one or an incompatible one, so I'm hoping someone on here might be able to tell me a few model numbers that are the best ones to look out for?
1. Yes it does, virtually the same internals if you pick the correct Chromebook.

2. What you are looking for is a Chromebook with the Intel Celeron 2955U or 2957U CPU. These are the beasties with the very good Haswell microarchitecture and powerful VPU/GPU's that you want for great performance. Same as the Chromebox.

Smile

I agree with hdmkv. The RPi2 is great. I say this having just setup to players using them. I had tried the original RPi but found them underpowered and unusable with my library. The RPi2 on the the other hand is working great even using heaver weight skins (e.g. Aeon MQ 5 for Kodi 14 Helix). Part of this could be because I moved to using MySQL but the skin handling has to be because of the increased power of the RPi2.

@hdmkv, Why you say that ISO is not supported yet. I've been playing DVDs ripped as ISOs for some time now.

(2015-03-25, 23:46)hdmkv Wrote: The only caveats with RPi2 are:
- Need to pay VC-1 and MPEG2 license. Inexpensive, but it's per device
- Video playback caps out at about 60Mbps. May just be sufficient for 3D Blu-rays with high bitrate peaks (still need to test)
- ISO isn't yet supported

Other than above, great little gadget for about $70 (board + 16GB mSD card + power supply + case).
(2015-04-01, 20:49)jmorey Wrote: @hdmkv, Why you say that ISO is not supported yet. I've been playing DVDs ripped as ISOs for some time now.

He's referring to playing 3D MVC content from Blu-Ray ISO's. The Pi has recently added 3D MVC support for mkv files, but ISO support is not ready yet (will be soon...)
Normal DVD or Blu-Ray ISOs are handled fine.
(2015-04-01, 15:58)thebearnecessit Wrote: I'm looking at getting a celeron chromebox. 2 quick questions:

1. Does the glowing report in the OP for chromeboxes still apply to chromebooks? See what I really need is a lightweight laptop so I'm thinking a lightweight laptop with great xbmc compatibility sounds perfect just for watching in bed etc, not for connecting to a screen and disconnecting every time.

2. Anyone know about all the different model numbers? I don't know what they all mean. Just worried I might get a crap one or an incompatible one, so I'm hoping someone on here might be able to tell me a few model numbers that are the best ones to look out for?

(2015-04-01, 18:56)wrxtasy Wrote: 1. Yes it does, virtually the same internals if you pick the correct Chromebook.

2. What you are looking for is a Chromebook with the Intel Celeron 2955U or 2957U CPU. These are the beasties with the very good Haswell microarchitecture and powerful VPU/GPU's that you want for great performance. Same as the Chromebox.

Smile

just be aware that only the dual boot portion of my EZ Setup Script applies to ChromeBooks; while a standalone setup is possible, I'm not supporting it via my script due to the variety of ChromeBooks available (since each requires its own custom firmware, which I'm unable to test). Also, Broadwell-based ChromeBooks like the c740 and c910 are supported for dual boot setups as well.
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before but just wanted a definitive answer rather than trolling through 40 pages.

But now the Amazon Fire Stick is nearly out, anyone know which is best for Kodi? That, the chrome stick or MK808+ which seems to be the most popular at this price range?

I mainly just want it for online streaming and MKV's off my portable HDD would be a bonus as well.
As you are are Newb, we will cut you a bit of slack. You will have to edit your post or it will be deleted.
Please read the following:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

(2015-04-02, 16:19)wrxtasy Wrote: As you are are Newb, we will cut you a bit of slack. You will have to edit your post or it will be deleted.
Please read the following:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

thank you! Big Grin

have editted it now
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26