• 49(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-05-21, 18:03)wrxtasy Wrote: The i3 should however give you a bit more grunt for HEVC Software decoding over the Vanilla Chromebox Celeron 2955U.

Matt D,
Have you done any casual software decode HEVC testing Intel i3-4010U vs Celeron 2955U ?

correct, and yes. Under OE 5.95.1, there's minimal difference between the two, maybe 10%? There's a much larger difference in performance between single and dual channel memory (for both HSW and BDW) in both software decode and intensive hardware decode (eg, h.264 1080p60)
Was looking for some advice on hardware...

I'm currently running openELEC on an Intel NUC DN2820FYKH - 8GB RAM.

I was looking at an Android box which 'seems' to have decent specs: http://matricom.net/

If I keep my NUC would it be better to use kodibuntu seeing how its purely an HTPC?

wondering what peoples thought are...I'm mainly just interested in streaming in HD and 4K, when that becomes more mainstream

Thanks! Smile
(2015-05-22, 05:28)gid204 Wrote: Was looking for some advice on hardware...

I'm currently running openELEC on an Intel NUC DN2820FYKH - 8GB RAM.

I was looking at an Android box which 'seems' to have decent specs: http://matricom.net/

If I keep my NUC would it be better to use kodibuntu seeing how its purely an HTPC?

wondering what peoples thought are...I'm mainly just interested in streaming in HD and 4K, when that becomes more mainstream

Thanks! Smile

my advice? Ask for recommendations before buying, rather than after, hoping people will validate your purchase. Leave the NUC running OpenELEC. Return the Android box. Buy something with Skylake/Braswell when released in a few months.
wasn't hoping for validation, just wanted people's thoughts and I appreciate yours. Haven't bought the Android one.
(2015-05-22, 07:06)gid204 Wrote: wasn't hoping for validation, just wanted people's thoughts and I appreciate yours. Haven't bought the Android one.

if you're not unhappy with the NUC, I'd wait until 4K is sorted out. And by that I mean hardware, OS, driver, and Kodi support, as well as established norms for encoding.
ok sweet, probably what I'm going to do, Cheers!
(2015-05-21, 18:03)wrxtasy Wrote: Its my understanding that the i3-4040U with Intel® HD Graphics 4400 does provide Hybrid hardware decoding of the HEVC codec. You would have to run Windows I would think, plus I don't think Kodi yet has support for Hybrid HEVC decoding.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/59216

The i3 should however give you a bit more grunt for HEVC Software decoding over the Vanilla Chromebox Celeron 2955U.

Matt D,
Have you done any casual software decode HEVC testing Intel i3-4010U vs Celeron 2955U ?

thanks bro

just wondring the diff between ASUS CHROMEBOX-M107U Desktop (http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M10...+chromebox)

and ASUS CHROMEBOX-M075U (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JY4Q...UTF8&psc=1)

both same but the first is more expansive

i have ordred the 2nd one
(2015-05-22, 04:38)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-21, 18:03)wrxtasy Wrote: The i3 should however give you a bit more grunt for HEVC Software decoding over the Vanilla Chromebox Celeron 2955U.

Matt D,

correct, and yes. Under OE 5.95.1, there's minimal difference between the two, maybe 10%? There's a much larger difference in performance between single and dual channel memory (for both HSW and BDW) in both software decode and intensive hardware decode (eg, h.264 1080p60)
Video playback aside, wouldnt an i3 machine perform better at skins and whatnot ?
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
(2015-05-22, 10:49)bym007 Wrote: Video playback aside, wouldnt an i3 machine perform better at skins and whatnot ?

not really, since the Celeron 2955U isn't being closed to taxed. The only situations where the i3 is significantly faster is in multithreaded software decoding, because the i3 has a slightly higher clock (1.7GHz vs 1.4GHz) and has hyperthreading (so 4 virtual cores). So it's faster by a non-trivial amount for say Hi10P and HEVC.
Would there be a Kodi-capable box which fulfills these requirements?

- HD Audio, Both DTS-HD and TrueHD (an absolute must)
- Plays blu-ray rips in full 1080p (Menu's aren't important to me)
- Supports USB hubs/USB splitting (I don't have or want a NAS (too expensive for me at the moment), so I have a Mediasonic 4-bay enclosure on my Dune Base 3, each detecting as a separate drive. so I really want to be able to expand my storage space as I need it)
- Acts like a NAS so I can rip movies straight to the box (like I can with my Dune Base 3)

3D Playback is not a 'must' for me. It's 'nice to have'..but I don't have a 3D TV...
(2015-05-22, 22:39)SilverBlade Wrote: Would there be a Kodi-capable box which fulfills these requirements?

- HD Audio, Both DTS-HD and TrueHD (an absolute must)
- Plays blu-ray rips in full 1080p (Menu's aren't important to me)
- Supports USB hubs/USB splitting (I don't have or want a NAS (too expensive for me at the moment), so I have a Mediasonic 4-bay enclosure on my Dune Base 3, each detecting as a separate drive. so I really want to be able to expand my storage space as I need it)
- Acts like a NAS so I can rip movies straight to the box (like I can with my Dune Base 3)

3D Playback is not a 'must' for me. It's 'nice to have'..but I don't have a 3D TV...

Really? Have you read the first post in thus thread?

Any the answer is chromebox (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK, so after reading through 49 pages, I get that the chromebox is awesome and that I should just get that and be on my merry way. However, I'm wondering if this is actually overkill for my purposes - is something less expensive that would suit my needs just fine. I have a really old tv, probably 15-20 years old, and I'm probably not likely to upgrade it until my kids are a tad older (though I'm sorely tempted to get an LED projector). So, I don't need to worry about streaming HD quality video. In fact, my blu-ray player works just fine for streaming the videos that I store on my NAS. We do watch a lot of Netflix, but my Wii has a fabulous app and interface for that, so I don't need something else for streaming Netflix. I also don't really need something to play video games. I have cables running from my desktop computer down into the basement and up into another room that has an older projector if I want to play games on something larger than my monitor. And if I really wanted to, I could easily run cables from my computer to my tv (I can even use a streambeam kit to transmit (miracast) from my computer to my tv, though it's a bit laggy when it comes to internet video). What I'm really looking for is a device that will smoothly stream internet content - basically all the stuff beyond Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Youtube (though I wouldn't mind a better youtube app than the one that's on my blu-ray). If I can use it to play live tv, all the better. If I can use it to record programs onto my NAS, all the better. It has to have a user-friendly interface because I won't be the only one operating it (though even if I were the only one using it, I'd probably want a clean, easy to navigate front end), and it needs to either support or come with a remote that works well. I'd also prefer something that's not too fiddly or requires a bunch of other additional components. The chromebox is really more than what I'd like to spend, but if it really is vastly superior to anything else within $30-$40, I could probably live with that. Also, while I mentioned that my tv is old, I do have an HDMI to RCA converter box that works just fine, so HDMI requirements are not an issue (not sure if anything that would work also doesn't require HDMI anyway). Additionally, if it's easy to move around to other tvs (I have a smaller HD tv in my bedroom with HDMI ports), that would also be a plus.

Thanks so much for any advice that can be provided.
What about a raspberry pi2?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah man... you basically have two options. The Pi2 will work perfectly for your needs, the Chromebox is the other option but is overkill for you.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
My only concern about the Pi2 is that I then either have to figure out all the bits I need to put that together like some kind of craft project or I have to look at all the bundles I see on eBay and elsewhere and figure out which included items are good quality versus junk so I can determine which listing is a good deal. And after all that, is the cost of the Pi2 with the necessary components going to end up costing me almost as much as a chromebox, which I presume has everything already there except a keyboard or remote?
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26