• 78(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)

I have enjoyed reading the tips and recommendations, many thanks.

I have a question please, what if i want a good device (not the cheapest or best) that i can play Kodi 15 on it and at the same time could use it for my satellite dish connection? I have found reviews on Kodi site for Android boxes but i didn't find any of them capable of connecting input from satellite dish in parallel.

The reason why i need so is that because i want sometimes to watch some news channels without internet but using my dish and without using multi-devices.

Many thanks in advance
Wait for the faster, upgraded version of the WeTek Play, which we were just discussion called the Wetek 4K Core that will allow you to plug in a DVB-S2 tuner to easily to do what you want.

https://wetek.com/

Thanks wrxtasy for the information on such device but it seems the DVB addition is rumor, please see below links, non is stating a DVB input not the photo of the device connections shows the same:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238923
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/08/25/w...-and-more/

I can wait a bit for the official launching to verify but seems they have opt out this feature to be competitive against other market player.

Have a good day
Aaahh, I would have thought the TV Tuner option would have been a no brainer, especially considering AMlogic SoC's produce excellent de-interlaced video.

Android is the real problem and finding TV tuner software that will run on it. If a device is can be dual booted, its relatively easy to plug in a USB DVB tuner stick and run say a TvHeadend server using OpenELEC.

(2015-09-28, 07:03)engineer_n Wrote: Thanks wrxtasy for the information on such device but it seems the DVB addition is rumor, please see below links, non is stating a DVB input not the photo of the device connections shows the same:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238923
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/08/25/w...-and-more/

I can wait a bit for the official launching to verify but seems they have opt out this feature to be competitive against other market player.

Have a good day
The Wetek Core will not have DVB.

I'd get the Wetek OpenElec box (from the OE website), its not a cutting edge processor, but works very well for kodi now and has dual satellite inputs. All for less than €100.
(2015-09-28, 08:00)wrxtasy Wrote: Aaahh, I would have thought the TV Tuner option would have been a no brainer, especially considering AMlogic SoC's produce excellent de-interlaced video.

Android is the real problem and finding TV tuner software that will run on it. If a device is can be dual booted, its relatively easy to plug in a USB DVB tuner stick and run say a TvHeadend server using OpenELEC.

I guess the US market is an issue for this. DVB-T/T2 and DVB-S/S2 is well supported and used extensively in Europe, but ATSC OTA (which Wetek have offered) is less important for the US market? The US market doesn't need a TV Tuner option - and I suspect they US market is an important one - particular with Netflix HD support?
Technically, it is possible to have DVB-S2 on Android, i have found some devices already but not reputable names, also after re-checking on Wetek current and new device that would be launched soon, i see that it is still possible to buy it with your choice wether you want DVB-S2 (which i want) or else, it worth to wait a bit more before investing in new Android internet device only without DVB-S2 as i want really use one instead of 2.

Thanks all for the notes and remarks
(2015-09-28, 08:01)tredman Wrote: The Wetek Core will not have DVB.

I'd get the Wetek OpenElec box (from the OE website), its not a cutting edge processor, but works very well for kodi now and has dual satellite inputs. All for less than €100.
There is a review floating around of the WeTek Play that confirms it is actually underpowered and a but choppy when running Kodi GUI, unless things have improved drastically. And here is the review....
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2054255

(2015-09-29, 03:59)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 08:01)tredman Wrote: The Wetek Core will not have DVB.

There is a review floating around of the WeTek Play that confirms it is actually underpowered and a but choppy when running Kodi GUI, unless things have improved drastically. And here is the review....
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2054255
I've got a Wetek play and OEbox and the Kodi GUI works very well in openelec.

Currently running a post 5.95.5 dev version, but its been fine for ages.

It's was a bit slow in android, probably equivalent to a Pi1.

I use Amber skin, so fairly lightweight.
(2015-09-27, 03:36)couto27 Wrote: Use your ears and experience to make judgments....

I understand that the average Joe can't distinguish the diference between Peak watts and RMS watts and unfortunalty most of them ends buying the latest low quality HTIB due some well implemented marketing.. thats a shame because with a little more money they would get a enjoyable home cinema for many years.

From my experience any 400$ entry-level AV receiver + small satellites like the Kef 3005 5.1 or the Monitor audio mass 5.1 (800$) is sufficient to listen huge differences between the same track in DTS-HD and the DTS core from the same bluray Movie.

I could rent all my movies in the ATV3, more convenient at all, but is missing the lossless audio, dolby digital in cinema is not enough for me, there is not enough Bass, rumble, crispy sound, like im used to listen in the bluray track...
In the HD Audio track i can listen more with less volume and still hear all the details and surround sound separation, while in the DTS/DD track the is sound is much more confused with the treble being more aggressive at higher volumes...

For Music, i use the airplay from the ATV3 to listen Spotify from the smartphone app or the laptop...only because its convenience with enough quality.
Sorry for coming in a little late...
I think you are, excuse the expression, blowing steam up your own ass.

Here's some facts:

DTS (Core): On DVD it was not locked to 768kbs but varied between that to 1.5Mbs. On Blu-ray it's always 1.5Mbs. Since I doubt anyone watching DVD care all that much about "Hi-Res master audio etc", I'll assume that 1.5Mbs is the common denominator.

Dolby Digital: On Blu-ray it's always 640kbs. (Edit: wrong, it's mostly 640kbs but some are 448kbs. 448kbs isn't bad but isn't quite transparent under (almost) all circumstances)

Dolby Digital is more efficient than DTS, so DD 640kbs is very much capable at holdings it's own against DTS, even at 1.5Mb.

Now, the way multichannel compression codecs work is that they have a:
1) common bitpool for all the channels. What that mans is that even though the bitrate may be constant, the bitrate dedicated to the different channels is dynamic. That means that there are always enough bits to compress pretty much transparently.
2) Also you may heard of "joint stereo", in multcihannel codecs it works pretty much the same way. That means that if there is a big explosion that uses all the speakers at the same time, it doesn't really take up that much more space than if it was played on 1 speaker. And might even take less space since the codec then can throw out more ambient noises that you can' hear anyways.
3) The soundtrack of movies are very dynamic, giving the codecs the best conditions to compress most efficiently. For instance, the center channel is normaluized to an average -31db.

The worst case scenario would be playing 5 or 7 channels at the same time, where the sounds are TOTALLY different, draining the common bitpool and also reducing the efficiency of "joint stereo". This NEVER happens. Which in turns means that for all intents and purposes DTS [email protected] and DD @640kbs are more or less transparent.

You will NOT remotely hear any difference with a 400usd receiver. I have heard numerous of these receivers and no, it doesn't matter if the the receiver show DTS MSTR in the display or not. Personally I have audio gear worth something along crazy sums, and even I don't care if the sound is "lossless" or not.

Addendum: As for Netflix, they use both DD+@192kbs and DD@384kbs. Dolby says that DD+ is twice as efficient as DD. My personal opinion is that it's probably not twice as efficient, but I can't say for sure since I haven't compared directly. The good thing is that Netflix can't totally abandon DD@384kbs. They need this for it to be compatible with older receivers, so there will always be a way of getting DD@384kbs. (Although I've heard some talks about some devices transcoding DD+ to DD) But for streaming, this works well IMO. You want the best picture and sound, you buy Bluray UHD or something.
(2015-09-30, 20:36)Soli Wrote: You will NOT remotely hear any difference with a 400usd receiver. I have heard numerous of these receivers and no, it doesn't matter if the the receiver show DTS MSTR in the display or not. Personally I have audio gear worth something along crazy sums, and even I don't care if the sound is "lossless" or not.

Sorry that you can't hear the differences between DD/DTS and DTS-HD/TrueHD....
But see the things for the bright side, you don't need to spend crazy sums in Audio Gear upgrading.... Angel

When you have some chance make some research in DIY audio, and make some investigation about the cost/price of the components of your speakers..
Get a calculator and look at the cheap crossover the manufacturer used, maybe some 0,50$ electrolytic rubbish capacitors..

My advice is spending 20$ and replaced the original capacitors for some Jantzen Audio Superior Z-cap.. and listen for yourself.....yourself, not the forums, not the audiophiles, and not the internet.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

I was trying to put this into context of the Wetek player and it's target group. And to provide some balance in the thread as I don't think it's right to (outrageously) hype things up without facts to back it up.

I didn't say that there definitely isn't any difference or that I neccesarily can't hear any difference. ( I just don't care for negligable differences even if I have a really good audio gear) But any differences are for the most part nonexistant, and that your arguments with listing up the potential max bitrates of DTS-HD MA is inherently lacking because of the nature of the sounds in a soundtrack and the efficency of the lossy codecs.

Listen, exchanging some capacitors isn't gonna change anything. Real differences lie in better speakers, acoustics etc. A movie with 192kbs DD+ soundtrack will still sound miles and miles better in a proper audio system than any 400usd receiver with the typical 5.1 speaker package playing dtshd-ma.

You have some decent equipment but to be perfectly honest, it's still your equipment that's the limiting factor and not some lossy codec. You are of course free to disagree.
Gotta agree with Soli here, its useless having DTS-HD MA and trying to play frequencies contained within lossless HD Audio that a users cheap Audio gear will never be able to reproduce. Those frequencies a Lossy codec will discard anyway.

Hyping up HD Audio and dismissing Kodi gear that cannot passthrough that lossless HD Audio has reached a level of nothing but Marketing Hype for the average Joe with off the shelf Audio gear.

Lossy codecs for the Wetek 4K are enough because their market targeting is the streaming client not the bluray client, adding DTS-HD and TrueHD to the WETEK 4K was just adding more licensing cost to production...

Lossy DTS is mainly used for streaming services to reduce bandwidth costs.
Lossless DTS-HD is mainly used for bluray or for Manufactures and client that demand more quality.

The video is bit old from 2011 but worth to watch

Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-10-01, 05:14)couto27 Wrote: Lossy codecs for the Wetek 4K are enough because their market targeting is the streaming client not the bluray client, adding DTS-HD and TrueHD to the WETEK 4K was just adding more licensing cost to production...
We finally agree on something, as this was my original argument Wink

• 78(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26