• 88(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
My queries about Atmos support with Android boxes running Kodi got buried a bit. I loaded Jarvis Alpha 3 on my Minix X8-H. But unfortunately this did not make the box magically pass through Atmos to my receiver. I read that the Shield can do it with the Serenity software, but not Kodi as of yet. There is supposed to be VidOn software that works with Kodi to make it happen? Apparently the HiMedia Q5 can pass through Atmos with Kodi. Or am I misunderstanding? Can someone technically informed please explain?

And if someone knows whether the Shield and Kodi together will soon support Atmos, that would be great to know as well. Thanks.
Thecus N5550 NAS - Nvidia Shield - Marantz SR7009 with 7.1.4 - LG 55LA6918
AIUI if you get True HD pass-through you get Atmos pass-through - or am I misunderstanding? AIUI Atmos support is backwards compatible - so existing Blu-ray players will play Atmos discs - though you need an Atmos-compatible amp to access the additional speaker streams?

ISTR that on Intel platforms that support HD Audio bitstreaming, Atmos 'just worked'?
Hello together,

is there any Box/TV/PC/Whatever out there which will do Amazone Prime Video and will also automatically switch refresh rate in Kodi as wll as doing a good deinterlacin for 1080i Live TV? As far as I could read in the forums her, the only which is near is a Sony Bravia LCD TV, but I'mnot sure about KODI on the Sony TVS. Is KODI switching the refresh rate on the TVs?

If someone could give m a hint in the right direction it would be great.

Regards
Vlaves
(2015-10-27, 23:14)goujam Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 22:40)j-m-s Wrote: I read a lot about the wetek core. Why is it better than any other S812 box from china?

Support
1. Stable Firmware that actually works properly with Kodi, this includes 24p, HEVC fixes, refresh rate switching + more.
2. Regular Updates to squash any bugs Guaranteed.
3. From a Known Kodi Sponsor, so you know what you are actually getting in detail.
4. 24p 1080p HD Netflix, plus other HD Streaming Apps. (You need Google Widevine certification for this)
5. OpenELEC, that just works properly as well.
6. Support Support Support

Basically you get what you pay for with Android Kodi devices, spin the roulette wheel and save a few $$$
You might get lucky, but mostly you won't with these Chinese Android devices with no support.
They use a pump and dump marketing, worse still users even end up being Alpha Testers of their Firmware. Sad

Hello, if all I want to do is use Kodi for it's Video add-on plug-ins (there are some great LiveTV streaming add-ons), is the ASUS_Chromebox still the best option?
Looking for what has the easiest to use Remote for navigating through the Kodi options and selecting what video add-on I want to use.
Looking for something cheaper than the Chromebox. Is the Chrome box like a computer and you need a keyboard and mouse?
Looking for something like the Roku that I can just use a hand held Remote with.

What do you think about the Fire TV or Fire Stick to put Kodi on?

Thx
(2015-11-03, 18:00)matrixebiz Wrote: Hello, if all I want to do is use Kodi for it's Video add-on plug-ins (there are some great LiveTV streaming add-ons), is the ASUS_Chromebox still the best option?
Looking for what has the easiest to use Remote for navigating through the Kodi options and selecting what video add-on I want to use.
Looking for something cheaper than the Chromebox. Is the Chrome box like a computer and you need a keyboard and mouse?
Looking for something like the Roku that I can just use a hand held Remote with.

What do you think about the Fire TV or Fire Stick to put Kodi on?

Thx

You can use a remote with any kodi machine. Some machines have a infrared receiver built in. Some you need to add via usb. Flirc is a good option.

There are also bluetooth options, and the option to control from an app on your smartphone.

Take a look at a raspberry pi 2 for a cheaper option.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-11-03, 22:54)nickr Wrote: You can use a remote with any kodi machine. Some machines have a infrared receiver built in. Some you need to add via usb. Flirc is a good option.

There are also bluetooth options, and the option to control from an app on your smartphone.

Take a look at a raspberry pi 2 for a cheaper option.
What software is on a raspberry pi 2 and how do I install the software? Not familiar with them. But there is no remote control for it right? what is a Flirc? Thx
(2015-11-03, 23:05)matrixebiz Wrote: What software is on a raspberry pi 2 and how do I install the software? Not familiar with them. But there is no remote control for it right? what is a Flirc? Thx

OpenELEC and OSMC are the most popular options for Kodi on Pi.

Normally the Pi is bought without a remote control. If your TV supports CEC* then you don't need an external remote. You can use your TV's remote.
Otherwise, a flirc remote is perhaps the simplest, and a gpio IR receiver is the cheapest option. These options can learn remote presses from an existing remote.

(*) Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung), Aquos Link (Sharp), BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony), HDMI-CEC (Hitachi), E-link (AOC), Kuro Link (Pioneer), INlink (Insignia), CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba), RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo), RuncoLink (Runco International), SimpLink (LG), T-Link (ITT), HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic), EasyLink (Philips), and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).
(2015-11-03, 23:24)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-11-03, 23:05)matrixebiz Wrote: What software is on a raspberry pi 2 and how do I install the software? Not familiar with them. But there is no remote control for it right? what is a Flirc? Thx

OpenELEC and OSMC are the most popular options for Kodi on Pi.

Normally the Pi is bought without a remote control. If your TV supports CEC* then you don't need an external remote. You can use your TV's remote.
Otherwise, a flirc remote is perhaps the simplest, and a gpio IR receiver is the cheapest option. These options can learn remote presses from an existing remote.

(*) Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung), Aquos Link (Sharp), BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony), HDMI-CEC (Hitachi), E-link (AOC), Kuro Link (Pioneer), INlink (Insignia), CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba), RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo), RuncoLink (Runco International), SimpLink (LG), T-Link (ITT), HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic), EasyLink (Philips), and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).
I have an INlink (Insignia), how do I enable and configure it with my remote and the RP2? does the Pie2 need to have specific software OS on it for CEC to work?
(2015-11-03, 23:35)matrixebiz Wrote: I have an INlink (Insignia), how do I enable and configure it with my remote and the RP2? does the Pie2 need to have specific software OS on it for CEC to work?

Just boot the OE or OSMC image. It will probably work out of the box. Most TV's you don't do anything - you'll just find the direction keys, okay, and some others (it's up to the TV which buttons it forwards through CEC) get seen by Kodi. It's possible you may need to enable CEC from the TV's menu (presumably labelled INlink) if it doesn't just work.
Looks like my other TV doesn't have INlink Sad
Might need to do the "gpio IR receiver" route.
Flirc is easier, gpio is cheaper.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What do you think of the MX III or MX Q Android TV Boxes? alot cheaper than the FireTV
(2015-11-04, 04:08)matrixebiz Wrote: Looks like my other TV doesn't have INlink Sad
Might need to do the "gpio IR receiver" route.

You can also control with a smartphone (e.g. Android/iOS).
Is this a good box for the new kodi capabilities, h265, software decode, etc: (im going to use openelec):
INTEL NUC D34010WYKH

?
  • 88(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26