• 29(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-02-27, 22:46)poofyhairguy Wrote: I know and that makes me so nervous lol! I am a worrier sometimes though.

Pretty please give some feedback if you get one!

+1

Yes please. Keep us posted how well this works for you.

Smile
(2015-02-27, 17:40)jhummun Wrote: Hi friend,
I'm new to this community.
In fact I'm looking for a good hardware for a nice kodi experience. And I have to precise that my TV set doesn't have any HDMI connection. So I need a hardware that will allow connection to the TV set with AV cables.
I thank you very much in advance for your valuable advices. Blush

The ATV1 can output 1080p over component AV cables. If you run Crystalbuntu2.0, and the Broadcom CHD15 card. The GUI speed is about par with a RPi 2. We even have Kodi 14.1 with CHD hardware acceleration working again, and it works well. Plays everything I throw at it. Smile
They are selling at bargain prices if you hunt around too. Avoid ones with a blinking orange light tho - motherboard defect detected.

http://www.crystalbuntu.com/
http://forum.osmc.tv/showthread.php?tid=16811

I used Matt's setup on my HP Chromebox installed Linux mint 17 and Kodi daily build and it works great.I have a few things that won't run but I think it is because of the daily build other than that it works great minimal grief.PS I am glad I bought before Christmas I noticed prices have went up quite a bit since.
(2015-02-28, 04:37)bagator Wrote: I used Matt's setup on my HP Chromebox installed Linux mint 17 and Kodi daily build and it works great.I have a few things that won't run but I think it is because of the daily build other than that it works great minimal grief.PS I am glad I bought before Christmas I noticed prices have went up quite a bit since.
Is that better than OE install ?
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
I think so but I am a Linux user and felt more comfortable with it and have a full distribution for my wife to shop on the couch she likes that
How about this ONE as a competitor for the Asus Chromebox? Maybe should be considered as a competitor for an Intel NUC.

Smile
(2015-02-28, 05:12)mpmp Wrote: How about this ONE as a competitor for the Asus Chromebox? Maybe should be considered as a competitor for an Intel NUC.

Smile

Too pricey. Far too pricey.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-28, 04:43)bagator Wrote: I think so but I am a Linux user and felt more comfortable with it and have a full distribution for my wife to shop on the couch she likes that
Great idea using your telly for shopping. Can imagine items appearing larger, even life sized, but with even larger prize tag!

Wink
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
(2015-02-27, 21:17)mpmp Wrote:
(2015-02-27, 19:29)poofyhairguy Wrote: Personally I would prefer an Intel NUC over those fanless Mini options. I will admit though the i5 one looks nice. I wouldn't do the Celeron one though, that is an Ivy chip which means a worse GPU.

Yeah ... that i5 does look nice.

This i5 Chinese box has only 15 watts of power consumption. It should run pretty cool. It has a very user friendly price.

A similar configured NUC would cost about 4 times as much.

Shocked
That's what I thought, pretty and cheap Big Grin Appreciate the feedback though.

Think I'll pick one up and see what it's like, will let you know what I think...
Would chromebox still be preferred now that the Steam Mini is out for not much more and comes with Windows?
Windows is no advantage. Also AFAIK stream mini is not very available world wide.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
But, would the two ram slots(at least over the HP chromebox model) be an advantage?
I received my Asus Chromebox and had OpenElec installed on it within 20 minutes of having it. Thing thing plays EVERYTHING. I just wanted to single out poofyhairguy & Matt for their help in pointing me to the Chromebox, you guys are awesome.

This thing goes from cold to Kodi home menu in 6-7 seconds. That's as appliance as you can get! Plays every single one of my media files, even the 1080p60 Camcorder stuff I have that barely plays on anything. Thanks again!
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
My ex-wife is demanding that I get her some tv channels on her ota tv. She watched kodi/xbmc on our ouya though it was me who was operating the console all the time.
Is there anything that you can recommend that I can upload kodi on it, and she can operate it without much hassle? I was thinking of amazon fire tv available for $ 99. Is there a cheaper or better option than that?
Any recommendation would be great.
Note that it cannot be so complicated that she has to learn a new language just to watch kodi. The simpler the operatability of the device, the better it would be for me.
Thanks
Kash
PVR (wiki)
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26