• 42(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
nvm
Hello All,

I have done quite a bit of research on different hardware options, however, due to the wealth of information I am still unsure of the best hardware option for me.

I cannot decide between a Chromebox, NUC or building my own HTPC.

I am planning to stream HD video or live streams. I also hope to be able to access the 2-3 TB of video I have stored on external harddrives.

Finally, it is not essential but it would be nice to have the option of accessing an internet browser.

Given this description of my usage, which of these options (or alternatives not listed) would best suit my needs?

Thank you in advance for your help
HP Stream Mini with Win 8.1 if you want Kodi and an Internet browser with Chromebox hardware Internals on a single OS.

or a dual booting Chromebox with say OpenElec and Chrome OS. You need to use a compatible wireless keyboard to change OS's on boot. There is a list compatible keyboards here on the Hardware forum.

or a Chromebox running Ubuntu in a single boot configuration.

see point No 3. (Installation, Configuration, and Updating) in the Chromebox Wiki
!!
!!
V

(2015-04-15, 04:43)wrxtasy Wrote: or a dual booting Chromebox with say OpenElec and Chrome OS. You need to use a compatible wireless keyboard to change OS's on boot. There is a list compatible keyboards here on the Hardware forum.

Which option would you choose/prefer if you wanted to use CB to both manage media and run Kodi? Obviously I would have a keyboard so dual booting wouldn't be a big deal unless you think it is. In management mode I can still use a tablet to make sure things that I correct/tweak come in the way I want.
(2015-03-25, 04:14)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-03-25, 01:29)Cfgraven Wrote: Hi, I'm currently looking into getting a device to use kodi with

Don't have a big budget £60 max

would like to use x265 HEVC mkv, x264 mkv files, from my usb hard drive, and also to stream using wifi etc..

I would be looking for something with that has an Amlogic SOC, as devices with these seem to be well supported in the Open Source community. Bee-Link seem to make some decent quality gear.
http://www.bee-link.com/en/

You could look at the MK808B Plus (first page of this thread)

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210220

or the recently released S82 Plus:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216083

Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestion, I bought it a while ago and just arrived today took a bit to get here but managed to get it for £30 with a controller from gearbest
Anyways really liking it so far but just one issue I have so far is that on kodi the x265 files i try to play lags but yet with the media player or xbmc (older version) it plays just fine no lag at all plays perfectly is there any solution for kodi? If anyone knows
not a massive issue because they do play fine on xbmc
Thanks

I can recommend mk808b plus because its a great price very portable and performs very well
So if anyone is wanting to get one of these devices but on a budget then go for the mk808b plus
(2015-04-15, 20:57)BeesKnees Wrote:
(2015-04-15, 04:43)wrxtasy Wrote: or a dual booting Chromebox with say OpenElec and Chrome OS. You need to use a compatible wireless keyboard to change OS's on boot. There is a list compatible keyboards here on the Hardware forum.

Which option would you choose/prefer if you wanted to use CB to both manage media and run Kodi? Obviously I would have a keyboard so dual booting wouldn't be a big deal unless you think it is. In management mode I can still use a tablet to make sure things that I correct/tweak come in the way I want.

What do you mean "manage media"?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-17, 08:13)nickr Wrote: What do you mean "manage media"?

Everything I do in my working folder and on my NAS to get things to scrape properly. Change file names, correct typos, find out why I only have 23 out of 24 episodes, move files around... the normal stuff.

The computer in my man cave is on its last leg and I am thinking of replacing it with a Chromebox. This would then free up a Fire TV for another room.
Ok well changing filenames is simple over SSH.

Code:
mv wrongname.mkv rightname.mkv

You can also do it from a windows Mac or Linux computer over smb if you prefer a GUI.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's also possible in Kodi, but I wouldn't recommend it for bulk file renaming and such.
moved
The Chromebox is advertised as a computer replacement and I know that doesn't mean the same as an actual computer. However, I assume it comes with a file browser. What I am asking is which configuration would you prefer if you were going to use it for both. Dual boot or Kodi on Ubuntu?

I guess I could also research if one or both offers the ability to RDP into another computer.

I wouldn't do it inside Kodi. It would take too long. Just like today I realized I screwed up ripping the last disc of Kung Fu (I hate 2 sided discs). I had to review each file to manually fix the episodes and determine what I need to look for when I try again tonight to find the missing episodes.
Kodi on Ubuntu has all the features of Ubuntu. It is a real operating system with a full GUI and the chromebox IS a computer.
so what the best box (for kodi and media center ) (not android) my budget is around 350usd ,
Hi All,

As a new comer just wanted to share what I run Kodi on

Amazon Fire TV -works amazingly well
MXIII Android TV box, ran it as an android application and was terrible. Reloaded it with AMLinux and running an older version of Kodi, runs "ok"
Then on my media server/storage box I run it on Windows Server 2012

Personally I get the best performance from the Fire TV and would highly recommend it
(2015-04-27, 15:30)SABERZAID Wrote: so what the best box (for kodi and media center ) (not android) my budget is around 350usd ,

Chromebox.
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26