• 72(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-09-03, 10:18)zirconicus Wrote: But is it stable now ? I fear bugs,alpha and beta version of software etc etc
For example i read that openelec is in beta stage and with bugs, no plex support like rasplex for the Pi2 etc etc

Well the C1/C1+ is not an OpenElec supported platform, so the OE builds (which wrxtasy is being so good as to produce) are unofficial. I'd put them at somewhere between Beta and not-quite-RC level.

Plex was an optional requirement in your list - so thought it wasn't a deal breaker. I think you probably need to go down the x86 route if you want that. Which means either a CPU fast enough for CPU decode of HEVC, or a newer CPU/GPU with hardware HEVC support and a little time for hardware support for Intel HEVC decoding to be implemented?

HEVC is new. It takes a while for new things to become stable. If you want stable and high WAF then probably not a good idea to go for a new, quite bleeding edge, codec...
(2015-09-03, 10:18)zirconicus Wrote: But is it stable now ? I fear bugs,alpha and beta version of software etc etc
For example i read that openelec is in beta stage and with bugs, no plex support like rasplex for the Pi2 etc etc

So just get a Minix android box instead then. You can choose one that fits most if not all of your requirements. It's been discussed many times already. Minix X6 for a cheaper option (but still very good if you don't need 4k yet), Minix X8-H Plus for a more expensive one.

Here are two useful comparison charts to help you choose:

http://www.minix.com.hk//downfile/201504...275361.jpg
http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/a...-and-s812/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Looking for a box that can house and run Plex, Showtime anytime, HBO go, Amazon prime, Netflix, and Kodi.

Would like to hav 1080p support as I play MKVs from my NAS (via Plex). Not wedded to Plex so willing to play via other options.

Need hdmi and optical out for home receiver.

I'd like to have an App Store type experience where I can boot up, then select which app I want and jump in. IR support would be great so that I can set up with my harmony remote.

Lost on chromebox, minix or wait for new fire TV. Other option?

Your help is appreciated.
Yes stable enough for me to use the C1+ and OpenELEC everyday without crashing. I hate unstable platforms.

- Plex client support is available on any Kodi device, its even built into one of the Kodi skins called Amber.
- SPDIF / Optical for C1+ / RPi / Chromebox etc is available via various USB < > SPDIF adapters.

- With AMlogic S802/S805/S812 devices - OpenELEC / Kodi is a lot quicker and much preferred.

- For HD Netflix, Amazon ,HBO Go etc - you need a device with closed Firmware otherwise paid HD video streams are not available. The cheap Fire TV stick is preferred and then get another device just to run Kodi.
There are far too many compromises trying to do it all on one device, don't make this beginner mistake

Detailed answers to various C1+ questions are over in this thread, link below:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2096879

Has anyone found a source to buy the ASUS Chromebox (any of their models) in a barebones format? 2gb of ram and 16gb of storage is not enough for my intended use (installing Win10 and Office 2013 to use as a KODI box / kid's homework computer). I'd rather not buy the normal model with 2gb ram and 16gb mSATA and then throw away the ram and mSATA when I replace them. I've spent time on ASUS's website and the usual suspect online vendors, but can't find a barebones.
(2015-09-04, 18:13)soonerlater Wrote: Has anyone found a source to buy the ASUS Chromebox (any of their models) in a barebones format? 2gb of ram and 16gb of storage is not enough for my intended use (installing Win10 and Office 2013 to use as a KODI box / kid's homework computer). I'd rather not buy the normal model with 2gb ram and 16gb mSATA and then throw away the ram and mSATA when I replace them. I've spent time on ASUS's website and the usual suspect online vendors, but can't find a barebones.

Dont think they ever did a barebones model. MSI cubi or zotac-zbox-bi320 seem good alternatives
(2015-09-04, 18:13)soonerlater Wrote: Has anyone found a source to buy the ASUS Chromebox (any of their models) in a barebones format? 2gb of ram and 16gb of storage is not enough for my intended use (installing Win10 and Office 2013 to use as a KODI box / kid's homework computer). I'd rather not buy the normal model with 2gb ram and 16gb mSATA and then throw away the ram and mSATA when I replace them. I've spent time on ASUS's website and the usual suspect online vendors, but can't find a barebones.

no, you can't buy a barebones ChromeBox, they're meant to be appliances, not DIY boxes. And you shouldn't buy one if you intend to run Windows, for the many reasons outlined in the wiki and ChromeBox Windows support thread
(2015-09-02, 19:40)Harkon321 Wrote: Obviously a lot of this was written with American buyers in mind.

Is the Asus Chromebox still a strong contender in the UK at £200 or would I be better off looking at something else?

Can the Chromebox or an alternative output HD audio such as Dolby DTS or Dolby Atmos to my Denon receiver?

Many thanks.

Anyone able to answer this one?? Many thanks in advance.
(2015-09-04, 22:37)Harkon321 Wrote:
(2015-09-02, 19:40)Harkon321 Wrote: Obviously a lot of this was written with American buyers in mind.

Is the Asus Chromebox still a strong contender in the UK at £200 or would I be better off looking at something else?

Can the Chromebox or an alternative output HD audio such as Dolby DTS or Dolby Atmos to my Denon receiver?

Many thanks.

you could also look at the HP 260 G1, same CPU/GPU (Celeron 2955U/2957U) at the Chromebox, but barebones and priced less. Both do full HD audio passthru under all OS. ChromeBox has a detailed wiki page listing all capabilities/limitations, most of which apply to all the Haswell Celeron based boxes.

Many thanks.

Im looking at boxes now to purchase. The asus can be had for £167 on amazon (£155 if you use flubit price beat) with no keyboard/mouse

Strong contenders seem to be:
Zotac-zbox - similar specs, about £125 with a 60gb ssd/4gb ram

Acer revo r85l - similar specs, 60gb, includes win 8 + remote, £179.99

MSI Cubi - newer specs, about £150 with 60gb SSD and 4gb ram

Asrock beebox - fanless, weaker cpu. About £165 with 60gb and 4gb ram

Im still looking and deciding but the cubi seems to be best for the £150 mark with newer specs, slightly faster, power efficient and ac wireless.
(2015-09-04, 23:28)Matt Devo Wrote:

Many thanks.

you could also look at the HP 260 G1, same CPU/GPU (Celeron 2955U/2957U) at the Chromebox, but barebones and priced less. Both do full HD audio passthru under all OS. ChromeBox has a detailed wiki page listing all capabilities/limitations, most of which apply to all the Haswell Celeron based boxes.

Seems to be really hard to find them in the UK for aensible prices.
(2015-09-04, 23:36)ianuk2005 Wrote: Seems to be really hard to find them in the UK for aensible prices.

Yes - the stock has run dry I think. They were going for aroung £85 via flubit until the stock ran out.

The Revo R85 is available from Tesco for £129 - or was - and is the same CPU/GPU so definitely worth a look (and has a better spec than the 260G1 in some ways) - so I'd have a look at that?
(2015-09-05, 09:51)noggin Wrote:
(2015-09-04, 23:36)ianuk2005 Wrote: Seems to be really hard to find them in the UK for aensible prices.

Yes - the stock has run dry I think. They were going for aroung £85 via flubit until the stock ran out.

The Revo R85 is available from Tesco for £129 - or was - and is the same CPU/GPU so definitely worth a look (and has a better spec than the 260G1 in some ways) - so I'd have a look at that?

That seemed to end pretty quickly in tesco. Cheapest seems to be 179.99 now.

Cubi seems to be the best bet at £100 barebones. Im correct in thinking the beoadwell is properly supported and going to give a minor bump in performance in openelec?
(2015-09-05, 13:36)ianuk2005 Wrote: That seemed to end pretty quickly in tesco. Cheapest seems to be 179.99 now.

Cubi seems to be the best bet at £100 barebones. Im correct in thinking the beoadwell is properly supported and going to give a minor bump in performance in openelec?

Broadwell is identical to Haswell in terms of OE support and Kodi video performance.
Hi, my odroid U2 gets broken so now I'm without a good device to play my whole library with Kodi: I'm searching for a device that supports 4k HEVC video playing and I prefer to run linux + kodi instead that android + kodi (but I can also evaluate the last option).
My lacking experience allows to me to see these embedded devices:
- wetek play;
- xtreamer wonder 4k;
- g-box q;
- nvidia shield console;

The latest seems the best option (and I hope that in the next months a development board with tegra x1 will be released), but all of this are running android (except wetek play that can run also openelec). Is there any x86 box that can play HEVC 4k files with linux + kodi?
  • 72(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26