NAS Issue: No Library View/Scraping of TV Shows
Platform: AppleTV2
Version of iOS: 4.2.1
Install Method: via NitoTV

I apologize in advance if there have been other thread(s) created discussing this; I searched for quite awhile to no avail before deciding to post.

I have had a DNS-321 NAS with a 1.5TB drive for awhile to store and stream my movies & tv shows via the built-in UPnP server. Before purchasing the ATV2, I had been streaming successfully to my PS3.

I recently purchased an ATV2, jailbroke it with Greenpois0n RC6, and installed XBMC on it via NitoTV. After launching, I navigated to the Videos section and added two folders from my NAS as UPnP sources:

Movies One folder storing a collection of video files.
TV Shows One folder containing multiple folders (one for each show, with subfolders for seasons)

*Prior to adding these sources, I followed the guides in this forum to format all of my filenames to elicit the best results from the XBMC scrapers. I also selected the appropriate scrapers (imdb and tvdb) for each folder.

After adding the Movies source, XBMC automatically began scraping and returned near-perfect results. All ~50 or so movies were present, with appropriate data and artwork. I couldn't have been happier at this point!

Upon repeating the process for my aforementioned TV Shows folder, I was not so happy. Depsite being able to view, access, and play every single file in the TV Shows folder (and also Movies in this manner) in the File List view, I cannot get XBMC to play nicely. It won't scrape any files at all. Right after adding it as a UPnP source, XBMC drops down the scraping dialogue box, and then it disappears right away. The TV Shows folder is also completely absent in the Library View (which doesn't surprise me, given that it won't scrape).

I cleared my library and sources and repeated the process a couple times, always resulting in the same. I also tried using a media manager called Media Companion in an attempt to pre-set the scraped info, adding in artwork and NFOs. This seems to have had no effect (negative or positive).

Someone mentioned in another thread that you simply cannot scrape from UPnP, however my above scenario says otherwise. Is there an issue directly related to TV Shows that I'm not aware of? Could it be my folder structure on the NAS?

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. Having these shows fully populated with content and viewable in the graphic-rich Library View is the last big hurdle towards my "media center bliss", so I'm really hoping someone can be of assistance! Smile

EDIT/AFTERTHOUGHT: The DNS-321 also supports SMB and/or NFS. Is this a better (proven) method for streaming from a NAS? If so I could try this instead, but given my "half" success with UPnP I am inclined to try to make that work.
I am having a similar issue, unable to get the scraper working over SMB. Works fine with my movies but not Television.
cynicaljoy Wrote:I am having a similar issue, unable to get the scraper working over SMB. Works fine with my movies but not Television.

So same issue appears* to be experienced across UPnP and SMB. This suggests to me that it's something on the XBMC-side directly related to TV Shows?

Could this be solved by manually adding the source in the sources XML file? I haven't tried that yet - was going to be my next attempt at solving the issue.
echopleks Wrote:EDIT/AFTERTHOUGHT: The DNS-321 also supports SMB and/or NFS. Is this a better (proven) method for streaming from a NAS?

Scraping uPNP fails for me too (seems to be a common complaint) but worked perfectly once I added the source as SMB.
SUCCESS!!!!!!

I deleted the sources, cleared the library, and set it up via SMB. Added both folders, and this time I got the full scrape and everything is gravy!

So, to those suffering with UPnP, unless you've had an issue with SMB i strongly recommend switching to that.
I was able to fix my issue by following this

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TV_...onventions

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS Issue: No Library View/Scraping of TV Shows0