[AppleTV2] Setting up FFW and Rewind
Hi guys,

The other day I had to skip the first hour of a movie, 'cause I had already seen that part. When you're playing 720p, that really takes a while. Wink
On the forum I have seen some solutions to the problem, but none I think would suit everyone.

Wouldn't it be perfect if just clicking (tapping) the arrow would skip 30 seconds, but holding the arrow would fastforward?

I believe the corresponding actions are StepBack, StepForward and Rewind, FastForward. The keycode-id's are 3 and 4. But I am unaware of the possibility to map a seperate action for clicking and holding.

Does anyone know if it exists?
The joystick.AppleRemote.xml file can be edited, in the <FullscreenVideo> section so that pressing Up does a BigStepForward and Down does a BigStepBack... each of these skips a full 10 minutes which is good enough for most people.

apt-get install nano
nano /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml

search for the section <FullscreenVideo>

edit to look like this:

<button id="1">BigStepForward</button>
<button id="2">BigStepBack</button>
toshiba1 Wrote:The joystick.AppleRemote.xml file can be edited, in the <FullscreenVideo> section so that pressing Up does a BigStepForward and Down does a BigStepBack... each of these skips a full 10 minutes which is good enough for most people.

apt-get install nano
nano /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/system/keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml

search for the section <FullscreenVideo>

edit to look like this:

<button id="1">BigStepForward</button>
<button id="2">BigStepBack</button>

This should work as described, but by editing the file the sits inside the XBMC application you'll find that your change is lost whenever you upgrade XBMC. Have a look through all of http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93221, and you'll see how to edit your own settings without loosing them between upgrades.
Thanks for your response.
I am aware of the file you are referring to and know how to adjust it. I was merely wondering if anyone is aware of a way to map a different action to clicking a key and holding a key.

EDIT: After reading your link a bit better, Fergus, I think I am going to give that a shot. A different action for clicking and holding would still be great. But if the remote has two unused keys, then what's the point? Smile Thanks for your help.
lukenukem Wrote:Thanks for your response.
I am aware of the file you are referring to and know how to adjust it. I was merely wondering if anyone is aware of a way to map a different action to clicking a key and holding a key.

EDIT: After reading your link a bit better, Fergus, I think I am going to give that a shot. A different action for clicking and holding would still be great. But if the remote has two unused keys, then what's the point? Smile Thanks for your help.

I tried mapping FFW and RRW to left and right (long press), but it's just not working.
Long pressing menu and select do work, so I'm not sure if the problem is with XBMC and FFW/RRW or left/right not supporting long press...
xbmc for atv2/ios ignores the IR kemap due to how IR is handled. So nothing you change there will have any effect. IR handling needs a refactor to include keymap handling. Patches are of course welcome.
Actually, I was able to set BigStefForward, BigStepBackWard, CodecInfo and Info with joystick.Appletvremote.xml Smile

So far, only the FFW and RRW-actions aren't working...
FFW and RRW seem to work for me when mapped to the up and down buttons.

I simply added the following to joystick.AppleRemote.xml under

<FullscreenVideo>

Code:
<button id="1">FastForward</button>
      <button id="2">Rewind</button>
Yes, that works.
It seems that only the directional buttons don't support the longpress...
The FastForward and Rewind function is different than the AnalogSeekForward/AnalogSeekBack that most of us are thinking of when fastforward or rewind.

Perhaps we haven't figured out the actual remote ID a long press of the directional buttons actually sends to the ATV2. Or more likely, the ATV2 isn't programmed to detect those input as long keypresses because it treats them as "continuous" keypress instead? Are the two concept the same or different? I know via Lowtide, holding down he directional button will advance the cursor in a continuous manner.

An observation: With the newer releases XBMC builds, I found that using a keyboard with XBMC on ATV2 does allow for continuous scrolling and continuous keypress.
Fire69 Wrote:Actually, I was able to set BigStefForward, BigStepBackWard, CodecInfo and Info with joystick.Appletvremote.xml Smile

So far, only the FFW and RRW-actions aren't working...

Fire69,

Any chance you could post your keymap?
Sure, no problem. Smile

http://pastebin.com/WyR7YKAv

Name it joystick.AppleRemote.xml and put it in your userdata/keymaps-folder.
That way, if you update xmbc, it doesn't get overwritten.
Fire69 Wrote:Sure, no problem. Smile

http://pastebin.com/WyR7YKAv

Name it joystick.AppleRemote.xml and put it in your userdata/keymaps-folder.
That way, if you update XBMC, it doesn't get overwritten.

Hi, thanks for taking the time out to do this for me. Much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Setting up FFW and Rewind0