Windows sharing on XBMC does not seem to work
Please help...

Alright, I consider myself tech savvy, but cannot get the windows sharing to work for some reason. I created a user "xbmc" with password on my local computer, and allowed for sharing on the directory that has music videos.

When going through menu options on XBMC, it prompts me for the username and password. I enter "xbmc" and the password, but this does not connect.

I tried reading the XBMC forums for setting up network share, but still no luck... what am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
wmubronco Wrote:Please help...

Alright, I consider myself tech savvy, but cannot get the windows sharing to work for some reason. I created a user "xbmc" with password on my local computer, and allowed for sharing on the directory that has music videos.

When going through menu options on XBMC, it prompts me for the username and password. I enter "xbmc" and the password, but this does not connect.

I tried reading the XBMC forums for setting up network share, but still no luck... what am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Did you check the share from the local computer (eg. \\localhost or \\127.0.0.1 and \\IPorHostnameOfYourPC).

Or try accessing the share from another PC on your network? This would at least help you verify you have the share setup properly...
Is this Windows 7?... it only worked for me when I did the following below:

a) On the shared directory, always make sure you have appropriate file permissions (right click Properties->Security tab->'Edit' button.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions)

b) On the shared directory, always make sure you have appropriate share permissions (right click Properties->Sharing tab->'Advanced Sharing'->'Permissions'->'Add'.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

Well I had to do these steps for my setup. Hope this works for anyone out there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows sharing on XBMC does not seem to work0