Nvidia is coming on strong with Kal-El quad core
Hell, if Nvidia keeps up the pressure and momentum with the tegra line of apu's, they will blow by amd/intel in the desktop htpc/stb HD marketplace.
If your a linux snob then you just go to love them. Smile
No windose support.

Go NVIDIA!

New quad core KAL_EL APU benchmark outperformed an intel T7200 dual core. Test were done running coreMark to compare the performance of Kal-El, Tegra 2, and an Intel T7200 dual-core Core 2 Duo running at 2GHz with 4MB of L2 cache and a 667MHz FSB.

Good read with video at this url.

http://hothardware.com/News/Nvidia-Demos...Processor/
Very interesting move by Nvidia. They got locked out of the x86 game, so they instead decide to rule the mobile market. These CPU developments show that Nvidia can be very competitive outside the GPU sector. I for one really hope this chip can play full 1080p, something Tegra can't do.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Very interesting move by Nvidia. They got locked out of the x86 game, so they instead decide to rule the mobile market. These CPU developments show that Nvidia can be very competitive outside the GPU sector. I for one really hope this chip can play full 1080p, something Tegra can't do.

I think the Tegra 2 can do 1080p with the use of openmax, not sure, but the devs are looking into it.
it sure looks like kal-el is a nice taste of what's to come from nvidia in the desktop area

still remains to be seen if their ARM design can outperform intel in pure number-crunching, and of course if microsoft can deliver a competitive and fully compatible ARM-port of win8. as for the mobile field, TI have some similar OMAP designs in development and samsung might also have something similar up their sleeves, but MWC showed that nvidia have an unbelievable strong momentum right now in the smartphone and tablet market after their delays in 2010.

exciting times, my friends!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Well, based on that video I linked to it can hold its own against mid-line core 2 duo processors. As far as number crunching, who cares, most of the desktop marketplace (60%+) does not need extreme PC's. Most users in the workplace perform just fine with single and dual core processors, and probably that is overkill.

With the smart device market (Phones, tablets, etc) and the htpc market bringing low power/usage at home devices, Nvidia should do great. Let Intel and AMD battle for the high end market (number crunching) and gaming systems. There is more to be had in the lower end.

That is what Intel and AMD get for snubbing NVIDIA, the best gpu company in the market. IMHO. I wouldn't want to be an executive at INTEL/AMD or MS right now. Smile
We've already shown how small a feature set can get. Look at how small the ATV2 is. Double up the speed to core2 speeds toss in a HIGH bitrate encoder.

Look at how small the Sheevaplug is. I can't imagine why no one has released the "Sheevaplug HTPC" yet with the fastest most cored ARM processor and hdmi/spdif out.

The day is coming when something like this with an ethernet port on onside and an HDMI on the other, powered by POE.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Thanks for that info, the dev kit is only $109.00 and it runs ubuntu 9.04 arm port. That could be a darn good file server device, really low power if the sdram can be upgraded to 1GB, it only comes with 512MB. I might get one to play with, I really need to off load my raid5 array from my main xbmc box, well not really but it would save power when I am in the bedroom watching movies. Talk about an always on cheap, lower power server. It has a gigabit ethernet port and a usb port. Would kinda be fun to play with, but then again I can get an atv2 for less.

Here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia is coming on strong with Kal-El quad core0