displayremotecodes not working?
I am trying to map out the various button id for the AppleRemote. However, I cannot seem to be able to put XBMC into test mode so that the key codes for remote presses can display in xbmc.log.

I made the proper edit to advancedsettings.xml according to the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...otecode.3E

I placed advancedsettings.xml under /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata and xbmc.log shows that it reads it just fine.

xbmc.log excerpt:
Code:
15:08:58 T:153841664 M:133685248  NOTICE: Loaded advancedsettings.xml from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
15:08:58 T:153841664 M:133685248  NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
                                            <advancedsettings>
                                              <displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>
                                            </advancedsettings>
15:08:58 T:153841664 M:133685248  NOTICE: Getting hardware information now...
15:08:58 T:153841664 M:133685248  NOTICE: Checking resolution 12

I also toggle the debug mode to in the system settings.

But can not see any remote code get logged onscreen or in xbmc.log.

I can however see /var/log/syslog get updated with action id corresponding to the remote button presses, but it doesn't seem to match up with what's in joystick.AppleRemote.xml.

Any ideas?
Sigh, it won't match what's in joystick.AppleRemote.xml, does not use it even though others think it might. I wrote the code, it does not use it right now.
davilla,
What's odd is editing joystick.AppleRemote.xml and placing it in

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/keymaps

does seem to work.

For example, I edited to change the up and down buttons for fastforward and rewind during video playback and it works great.

Code:
<FullscreenVideo>
    <joystick name="AppleRemote">
      <button id="1">FastForward</button>
      <button id="2">Rewind</button>      
    </joystick>
  </FullscreenVideo>
Humm, I'd like two helping of crow please. Extra crispy please Smile

I seemed to have forgotten some commit I did in the long ago past.

https://github.com/xbmc/atv2/blob/atv2/x...troller.mm

lines 37-70 are the mapping of IR presses to what's in joystick.AppleRemote.xml
I configured my Harmony as an Apple TV remote. The Apple TV remote profile has about 18 buttons plus Pair, unPair and Reset. Here's a list and the /var/log/syslog output for each.

Menu: 1
Menu long: 2
DirectionUp: 3
DirectionDown: 4
Select: 5
DirectionLeft: 6
DirectionRight: 7
Play/Pause: 10
PageUp: 13
PageDown: 14
Pause: 15
Play: 16
Stop: 17
FastForward: 18
Rewind: 19
Skip Forward: 20
Skip Backwards: 21
Select long: 22

Pastbin of the syslog output for each of the button presses:
http://pastebin.com/QywCrwzQ

Now I just have to figure out how to use that info.
dazex Wrote:I configured my Harmony as an Apple TV remote. The Apple TV remote profile has about 18 buttons plus Pair, unPair and Reset. Here's a list and the /var/log/syslog output for each.

Menu: 1
Menu long: 2
DirectionUp: 3
DirectionDown: 4
Select: 5
DirectionLeft: 6
DirectionRight: 7
Play/Pause: 10
PageUp: 13
PageDown: 14
Pause: 15
Play: 16
Stop: 17
FastForward: 18
Rewind: 19
Skip Forward: 20
Skip Backwards: 21
Select long: 22

Pastbin of the syslog output for each of the button presses:
http://pastebin.com/QywCrwzQ

can you stick that on some other pastebin site, pastebin.com is down.

EDIT: nm, pastebin.com is back.
dazex Wrote:I configured my Harmony as an Apple TV remote. The Apple TV remote profile has about 18 buttons plus Pair, unPair and Reset.

I'm in the same boat right now - everything is working, but I'd like my Harmony One to be able to use the Play, Pause, Stop, Fast Forward and Rewind keys while in XBMC. I snooped syslog and got the same values as you did, but don't know what to do with them.

Here are the values indicated to me by syslog:

16 = play
15 = pause
18 = fast forward
19 = rewind
21 = skip backwards
30 = skip forwards
17 = stop
Well, I think the next step is to edit the source so the button ID can match up to what's outputted by syslog so that it makes it a little easier to edit joystick.AppleRemote.xml

I am gonna hacking away and do a private build for myself to see if I can get it working.

I also found the syslog output for the various keypress out of the Remote app for iPhones and iPods. Gonna have to put up a pastebin log for that when I get a chance tonight.
^^Thanks OP, this is just what I was looking for. Now I have to play with the xml file to get it to work to my liking.

My wife keeps rolling her eyes, but I just can't believe how cool the Apple TV is now that I have XBMC on it.....I just hope Apple doesn't screw it up with a firmware update Wink
ncnmra Wrote:^^Thanks OP, this is just what I was looking for. Now I have to play with the xml file to get it to work to my liking.

My wife keeps rolling her eyes, but I just can't believe how cool the Apple TV is now that I have XBMC on it.....I just hope Apple doesn't screw it up with a firmware update Wink

you can block firmware updates.
ncnmra Wrote:^^Thanks OP, this is just what I was looking for. Now I have to play with the xml file to get it to work to my liking.

If you aren't using your ATV as Apple intended, why would you need to update?
one800higgins Wrote:If you aren't using your ATV as Apple intended, why would you need to update?
In case they break Netflix or YouTube or something. Xbmc makes up just one part of this great all encompassing media center.
Guys, quick question: why do the button ids posted here differ from those posted at this thread? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94577
What I posted isn't the button id used in the joystick.AppleRemote.xml. It is the syslog output and the actual BREvent ID recognized by the ATV2. Internal programming allows XBMC to translate between the Button id and the BREvent ID.

Once you have the BREvent ID, you can take advantage of that and expose it to the joystick.AppleRemote.xml so that you, the enduser can map it to the physical remote button.

If we had started from scratch, we could have made the Button id match up with the BREvent ID. However, we have to be mindful of the fact that ATV2 is a branch of the main XBMC codes. So changing things to match up right now would mean we sacrifice compatibility with OSX and ATV1, which uses the joystick.AppleRemote.xml as well. We can go through and make the necessarily changes throughout, but then that pisses off the user who have customized their joystick.AppleRemote.xml file already, leading to support nightmare and such.

Anyways, the posted syslog BREvent ID was to help the developer insert those IDs into XBMC source code, exposing the 9 additional buttons we can use in joystick.AppleRemote.xml.

I already completed the codes. We just need to get a commit and build. However, the developers are in the middle of doing a clean in preparation for the big merge to main branch. Check out the official post on xbmc.org if you haven't already seen the latest status update.
ncnmra Wrote:In case they break Netflix or YouTube or something. Xbmc makes up just one part of this great all encompassing media center.

From my experience with using jailbroken iPhones for the last 2 years, I can say that it would require you updating your system in the first place for Apple to block / break functionality with these services. I can't recall a single instance where a jailbroken app I've had was disabled by something Apple did outside of a firmware update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
displayremotecodes not working?0