[LIVE] 24P Playback Judder (no dropped frames in OSD)
Hi Folks,

So I've spent the last couple of weeks reading posts, trying to find matching symptoms with a solution that works for me and to no avail so far... So I've reached the point of posting here.

Basically when I play back a 1080 / 24P MKV file (tried with DTS-MA, TrueHD) I end up getting very "juddery" playback - it looks like dropped frames however the dropped frame count doesn't increase on OSD (I tend to get about 9-30 dropped frames at the start of playback and then it stays solid).

Pastebin of trying to play back two files (both exhibited issues detailed above);

http://pastebin.com/g9qdXyh2

I've noticed a lot of "Decode - avcodec_decode_video returned failure" messages in the log, but I can't seem to find a consensus on what that means, or how to fix it.

My system is a Shuttle XS35GT
I'm running XBMC live having updated nvidia drivers & libvdpau1 as well as the general set of files updated apt-get update / apt-get upgrade.

Software Versions;
NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 270.18
Linux build 2.6.32-26
XBMC Live 10.0 r35648

I have XBMC set up as follows;
  • Match refresh rate to video refresh rate
  • Use VDPAU
  • Bilinear Upscaling
  • do NOT sync playback to display

playback of mkv files which are not 24P works without a problem, CPU usage when playing back 24P content sits at around 6 - 15% / core.

I have already tried various combinations of XBMC settings (turning off match refresh rate, changing from bilinear to auto), I have also updated libvdpau from the ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa repository without it having an effect on the playback quality.

Any advice would be appreciated - and I'm happy to provide whatever additional information would help. Smile

Matt
It seems like it would be related to the refresh rate of the monitor compared to that of the movie. I am on an HDTV with 60Hz refresh rate. I do NOT have Match refresh rate to video refresh rate enabled, and do not have the issue.
ASRock ION 330
Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64 minimal install
xbmc from unstable ppa
hmm, gave that a try and it didn't make life better - in fact without matching refresh rates it was considerably worse (continuous juddering). Pastebin below showing results on this setting;

http://pastebin.com/Sj3rLB87
Should probably mention - Shuttle XS35GT connects to a Yamaha Rx-V3900 which in turn is connected to a Sony Bravia KDL46X3100. All of the "game/text mode" junk and processing in the TV is turned off, as well as any processing within the Yamaha.

I have the modelines configured in the xorg.conf file as per guides around the forum on the topic of judder free 24P playback.

All of these video files play without a hitch on VLC on either mac or windows, and all are direct copies of my blu rays.
well what do you know - the problem appears to have been that I incorporated;

<video>
<vdpauscaling>true</vdpauscaling>
</video>

into my advancedsettings.xml file - I put that in based upon other entries in the forum, but it appears to have made the playback fairly horrible... live and learn. Solved.
You somehow didn't read the
Quote:<vdpauscaling>true</vdpauscaling> <!-- scales with vdpau instead of opengl and turns on its HQ scaler when available, enabling this might slow down rendering and cause framedrops especially on ion systems, this setting requires a vdpau feature set C gpu-->
from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...3Cvideo.3E ? :p
Nope, you are dead right there - I did do go through the wiki thoroughly during config, but I eventually found references to that particular setting in a thread and never cross checked against the wiki to see what caveats there may be. I did know that feature set c was required but I thought that was the only restriction. sorry!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] 24P Playback Judder (no dropped frames in OSD)0