No autostart after Compile
Hi there,

I had a working XBMC based on the final Dharma and a little upgrade for the Libbluray to work.

Last friday i upgrade and things get nasty, i could not play most of my movies and i deside to reinstall xbmc.

I reinstalled but when i rebooted everything works except of th bluray iso support.
Thats when i desided to compile libbluray and xbmc.
Everything went fine but when i rebooted xbmc doesnt started automatic

i followed this tutorial, and then checked if xbmc-standalone was installed, and everything seems fine.

Does someone can help me further with this ?

Tobas
1. Is there a crash log? Or an ~/.xsession-errors, perhaps?
2. Did you make sure you installed XBMC with the /usr prefix? I install XBMC to /usr/local so I had to edit the startup scripts to point to the correct location.
1. Is there a crash log? Or an ~/.xsession-errors, perhaps?
No
2. Did you make sure you installed XBMC with the /usr prefix? I install XBMC to /usr/local so I had to edit the startup scripts to point to the correct location.
Yes i did

But when i reinstall with apt-get (no compile) everything works except the blu ray iso's
How are you autostarting it? The path is different between a default compile and the repository version.
ASRock ION 330
Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64 minimal install
xbmc from unstable ppa
I just followed the tutorial, and when is give the command
Code:
start xbmc-live
It says that xbmc-live is running on pid (and then a number)

Tobas
Tobas Wrote:I just followed the tutorial, and when is give the command
Code:
start xbmc-live
It says that xbmc-live is running on pid (and then a number)

Tobas

Your lucky ppl actually bothered to reply when you didn't bother to post any information that will enable anyone to help... The tutorial you followed only compiles xbmc and the system foleders etc, all other xbmc instalation files are untouched like xbmc-standalone xbmc-live etc. Without any logs including xbmc logs, all I can say is, compile again to correct /usr dir only not /usr/local and depending on what xbmc/Linus distro you started with reinstall your video drivers.

Post bloody logs as well by logs mean xbmc logs which should be on your /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log and xbmc.old.log

thx for the logs in advance.

As a general rule of thumb for every user when you have something working, I always recommend a full hdd image backup so things like this can be easily and quickly reverted.

gsgleason Wrote:How are you autostarting it? The path is different between a default compile and the repository version.

no no no, /usr installs exactly over the default xbmc.bin and system install paths, specially using the how-to he used which compiles same as what the ppa. Look at your default paths and check my compile logs which essentially same as how-to only its a script. http://pastebin.com/V2nCJPdn

people that want a different xbmc.bin install install to /usr/local but that is up to individuals and experience, I see no reason not to use what xbmc team recommends on the readmes for linux and ubuntu installs which is /usr once compiled xbmc official scripts take over the rest.
I don't think the init scripts are in git anymore. I installed using your guide and could not find them (also tried locate xbmc-live after refreshing the locate data base) and no files were found.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=698971&postcount=4

Maybe it;'s named something different?
I use this everyday with no issues on my xbmcbuntu built system asrock ION 330HT.

I compile everyday or every other day depending on fixes committed on GIT/Trac

Nothing is removed from system, so whatever is going on is down to user error.

also saying its not there anymore is not good enough especially with no logs posted by anyone, and you guys expect helpHuh how about providing information instead of crying wolf?

Scripts come for xbmclive install this update method does not interfere with xbmc-standalone or xbmc-live it only compiles xbmc.bin and system files as I shown on previous post pastebin log.

be serious.

<---- /me scratches head... oh dang 666 posts must be the devil talking then....Rolleyes
X3lectric Wrote:also saying its not there anymore is not good enough especially with no logs posted by anyone, and you guys expect helpHuh how about providing information instead of crying wolf?

Scripts come for xbmclive install this update method does not interfere with xbmc-standalone or xbmc-live it only compiles xbmc.bin and system files as I shown on previous post pastebin log.

be serious.
You honestly want a log stating that there is no upstart script?

It runs, there is no error when I start it. What the heck kind of log are you looking for about XBMC not auto starting?

***Wait a second - I just re-read your post. You are compiling and installing over the xbmc Ubuntu packages? I just assumed that you were removing them first. This honestly seems like a good idea to you? Well then, to clarify, no I am not asking for your help.

The warning bells should have kicked in for when you said to install locally complied and installed software into /usr/ instead of /usr/local
usr/ is the recommended install directory on the ubuntu and linux readmes, You DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE ANYTHING pre compile, when was that ever done? Ill tell you, never...

and yes logs are necessary be it xbmc logs be it aptitude show <packagename> to confirm if package is installed, NO ONE will help you or anyone else without real information, just a description of problem will get you 0 from anyone.... good luck

Don't do me any favours by not wanting my help (what a relief), I'm glad you know better then anyone else, by all means bud help yourself Wink, that's what I do since not many people here know what the hell they doing I will wait so what resolution is offered to a issues caused by users. PEBKAC

Since the how-to compile from Git and how to compile from svn always has been /usr and that doesn't cause any issues why would I go fish for problems messing with stuff just for the hell of it? Honestly, wheres commons sense you guys dont even backup despite on my how-tos I always suggest it... heck idk why I bother...

removing thread subscription asap.
X3lectric Wrote:usr/ is the recommended install directory on the ubuntu and linux readmes, and yes logs are necessary be it xbmc logs be it aptitude show <packagename>

Dont do me any favours by not wanting my help, Im glad you know better then anyone else, by all means bud help yourself, thats what I do since not many peple here know what the hell they doing.

Since the how-to compile from Git and how to compile from svn always has been /usr and that doesnt cause any issues why would I go fish for problems messing with stuff just for the hell of it?
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/f2031b...ADME.linux

Quote:NOTE: You may need to run this with sudo (sudo make install) if your user
doesn't have write permissions to the prefix you have provided (as in the
default case, /usr/local).
The wikki doesn't say to install in /usr/ either.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ian/Ubuntu

I would be really amazed if you show me the dev or doc that states that you should compile xbmc over the files from the packaged xbmc. Maybe you are used to Gentoo or Slackware, but this is not how you install files on systems that use package managers for installing software

I believe you are getting prefix=/usr from this
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/f2031b...DME.ubuntu but that is for compiling libcurl on older ubuntu installs.

I guess the other clue to me would have been downloading from the internet then compiling your sources in a terminal logged in as root just because you hate sudo.

Your guide is still nice, there are just a few (large) flaws with it. But since there is already a compile guide from the xbmc devs, I'll won't pick at yours.
JackieBrown Wrote:https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/f2031b...ADME.linux

The wikki doesn't say to install in /usr/ either.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ian/Ubuntu

I would be really amazed if you show me the dev or doc that states that you should compile xbmc over the files from the packaged xbmc. Maybe you are used to Gentoo or Slackware, but this is not how you install files on systems that use package managers for installing software

I believe you are getting prefix=/usr from this
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/f2031b...DME.ubuntu but that is for compiling libcurl on older ubuntu installs.

I guess the other clue to me would have been downloading from the internet then compiling your sources in a terminal logged in as root just because you hate sudo.

Your guide is still nice, there are just a few (large) flaws with it. But since there is already a compile guide from the xbmc devs, I'll won't pick at yours.

wiki is outdated in much of the cases & readmes still not up to scratch heck

read what it says here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/README.linux
Quote:Tip: To override the location that XBMC is installed, use PREFIX=<path>.
For example.

make install DESTDIR=$HOME/xbmc

*snip

If you overridden PREFIX to install XBMC into some non-standard location, you
will have to run xbmc by directly running 'xbmc.bin'. For example.
that doesnt mean you cant compile in usr or install over.. w00t ill smoke what your smoking pal. Nothing in the docs says you shouldn't compile over... ~$!!*%%!

Oh BTW thx you for really ripping into what attempts one makes to help others, and thank you further by being so informative and sharing your knowledge

Thank you again for showing your superiority and contributing 0

And thx again for telling me my how-to is great but shit.

I would be really amazed if I found any cooperation rather then snide remarks and put downs, you pal should learn how to cooperate and help perfect whatever flaws, not rip into it.

Jokers, this is the best laugh I had in this year, thx a bunch... let me know where your performing next Ill take missus.
X3lectric Wrote:wiki is outdated in much of the cases & readmes still not up to scratch heck

read what it says here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/README.linux
that doesnt mean you cant compile in usr or install over.. w00t ill smoke what your smoking pal. Nothing in the docs says you shouldn't compile over... ~$!!*%%!
I never said it did. It also does not suggest you run rm -rf /

But regardless, you specifically said that the read me doc said to install it in /usr as I quoted and that is false.

Quote:Oh BTW thx you for really ripping into what attempts one makes to help others, and thank you further by being so informative and sharing your knowledge
You're attitide toward anyone questioning your "guide" is just crap. Take the advice I gave and fix your guide (or don't.) At least put up a warning on your guide that their xbmc will probably be screwed up whenever the ppa start updating again.
rm -rf /

where does anyone suggest that? I certainly dont ever wtf your smoking some weird weed man.

My how to suggests clearly ppl should image ther hdds and btw You have no issues with my guide I been using it for nearly two years on xbmc-live, you can just use ppas or compile makes no difference.

Go get your facts straight, mine have been passed in trial by fire in over 2 years of XBMC complete installer development, otherwise known as XCI, dont have issues with ppas running in fact you can merrily change one o r the other without ever breaking anything.

thx for your advice, Ill pass
X3lectric Wrote:rm -rf /

where does anyone suggest that? I certainly dont ever wtf your smoking some weird weed man.

My how to suggests clearly ppl should image ther hdds and btw You have no issues with my guide I been using it for nearly two years on xbmc-live, you can just use ppas or compile makes no difference.
I wasn't trying to say you told people to rm -rf. I was explaining that just because a guide does not tell you "not" to do something, it doesn't mean you should.

You are giving bad advice then acting like it is fine to give that bad advice since you told people to image their hdd.

Start showing that you can take constructive feedback without responding rudely as you have done in each thread to anyone that questions your advice. Don't take things so personally and you just might learn something.

cheers Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No autostart after Compile0