Has anyone tried 4K Resolution video?
Samples of h.264 4K resolution video is hard to find and I only found one ready to use sample. ...It crashed XBMC hard. This isn't a technical problem since I was half expecting video that's 4096 pixels across to potentially cause a problem.

Anyway, using Windows Vista with a Radeon HD 4650 for DXVA I found that 2K resolution works in XBMC. That's 2048 pixels across, the sample I used is infact right here: http://www.sintel.org/wp-content/content/download.html

2K is only slightly higher resolution than 1080p so this wasn't a surpise that it worked. And it's nice to know that XBMC can readily support 2K cinematic resolution that is typically seen in digital theaters.

4K, well, I dunno what the issue is. I'm wondering if the ATi driver for DXVA has a resolution limit and 4K is just well beyond that limit. Technicly, ATi only states that the cards accelerate up to 1080p but 2K is higher than that, even if only slightly. Maybe with CPU decoding, 4K could be decoded but my XBMC box is only a single core Athlon 64 and it won't do 1080p on CPU, then alone 4K.

Has anyone done similar testing? Maybe with a CPU powerful enough to deal with 4K footage in software decoding?
I tried 3840x1080 which worked on my ION but with so many framedrops it was crazy
4K is honestly useless in an home environment, unless you have a full theater in your home, that is....
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Impractical for most users. Overkill for the home environment. No 4K content available.

The list goes on, but it would still be awesome to know it works on XBMC! Wink
bmcclure937 Wrote:Impractical for most users. Overkill for the home environment. No 4K content available.

Just for the kicks, right? We may not have content to play, but if it arrives, we better make sure XBMC is 4k ready. Hey, perhaps a new slogan: XBMC, the 4k ready media hub... Big Grin
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
bmcclure937 Wrote:Impractical for most users. Overkill for the home environment. No 4K content available.

That's my thinking. More 'it'd be awesome'. I mean, the HDMI 1.3a port on my XBMC machine will push 2K resolution but not 4K. It's more a technical quandry.

I used a different 4K sample to test and maybe it was problematic. I'll be trying the Sintel 4K encode when it's uploaded. Right now they are uploading th 48bit color uncompressed 4K version (640GB) to be distributed. When someone makes a nice h.264 encode of that I'll be trying that in my XBMC machine.

But I'm still suspecting that this may not necessarily be an issue of XBMC itself but the limitations of the hardware decoding for XBMC.
Any 4k video I try to play would come out at 1920x1080 anyway. Smile

Basically you need 4x the amount of ram in the video card to even consider decoding 4k video in a GPU. 1080p with 10 reference frames uses about 512meg, so to support 4k you need 2gigs just to support 10 reference frames. It'd be more of a technical hurdle in most cases right now. Same RAM requirements for software... 2gigs ish just for the video decoding cache. That's a lot of data to be plopping in and out at 24 frames per second.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Has anyone tried 4K Resolution video?0