HTPC with bluray player and XBMC
Hi people,

So 2 months ago i decided to build my first HTPC so i could go back to XBMC (after using a HDX-1000) So i thought it would be a great idea to get a bluray player aswell then I could sell my samsung bd-1500 player.

So i found out the hard way that XBMC doesnt support playback of original bluray disks. That was a huge bummer. SO at the moment im using PowerDVD 10 so i didnt bought the internal bluray drive for nothing.

My question is, will there be in (the near) future playback of original bluraydisks with xbmc like the same way as you can use xbmc with nomral dvd's.

thanx.
you could link xbmc to powerdvd10 with playercorefactory.xml or if you just want movie no menus you can play index.bdmv file on your blu ray in videos.
The problem is a lack of open source support for BluRay. It will come eventually, and when it does I'm sure it will be included in XBMC.

JR
Ok thanks alot for the information. I cant wait for XBMC supporting bluray disk but till that time PowerDVD has to do.

Now what is that about playercorefactory.xml? Does XBMC tell PowerDVD to startup and play the disk? If so how do i configure it. any info about this?

Many thanks!
Just rip your blu-rays to hard drive and use XBMC to watch them.
pro510 Wrote:Just rip your blu-rays to hard drive and use XBMC to watch them.

No thanx, because im not paying 20 euros for a bluray and then rip them. Easier to download then.

Can anyone tell me how to configure xbmc so it starts up powerdvd?

thanks
From your reply it sounds like you may be unaware that you can rip without loss of quality (bit for bit copy of the movie). Since you're buying the movies then I assume you're planning to watch more than once. If that is the case then ripping may be a better solution. You can choose to just rip the movie, so you don't have to sit through the trailers and other crap each time you watch. You can also set XBMC to download movie information, dvd covers, and fan art for your ripped movies.

I only say this because I was in the same position as you. I bought PowerDVD and was looking at how to launch it from XBMC. In the end, for movies I'm just watching once (rental), I just use PowerDVD directly. For the movies I buy (which in my case are mostly kids movies), I put them on to hard disk and download all the cover art etc, and that way my kids can use XBMC to launch their movies very easily, and without them getting their grubby little hands on the blu-ray disks. (Typically a blu-ray movie takes between 20GB and 40GB. I don't fancy downloading that).

Anyway, don't want to go in to the whole ripping discussion. Just thought you should know that there is another solution, and depending on your circumstance, maybe a better one.
Ajedi Wrote:No thanx, because im not paying 20 euros for a bluray and then rip them. Easier to download then.

Can anyone tell me how to configure xbmc so it starts up powerdvd?

thanks

I hear ya Ajedi,
Try the code for Externalplayer.xml from here.
That post/thread also has reconfigurations for the MCE remote to work in XBMC & PowerDVD10!

Peace
TheFonz Wrote:I hear ya Ajedi,
Try the code for Externalplayer.xml from here.
That post/thread also has reconfigurations for the MCE remote to work in XBMC & PowerDVD10!

Peace

Thanx all for the suggestions but i dont want to rip my bluray disk and save them on a harddisk. Too much work and to much space needed. Also i dont want to mis my HD-audio aswell.

@TheFonz, ty for that link I was looking for that. Im gonna check it out to see how it works.

thanks all!
Hi Ajedi,

perhaps my post could help you.

Greetings
Horst

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC with bluray player and XBMC0