Help With Lirc - HVR 4000
Hi guys,

I've tried my best to get everything running, been a little bit of a struggle with a hauppauge HVR 4000 (more the mythTV side of things though) and I'm nearly there. I've come across problems though which I'm struggling to get my head around with Lirc. Basically XBMC can navigate left/right, up/down and select, but nothing more no matter what combination of things I try with the mapping .... So I figured I'd investigate Lirc to see if that is where my issue lays; and I think it is.

I'm following a guide here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...lk_to_XBMC

I use the command "irrecord --driver=devinput --device=/dev/input/by-path/pci-... a few number...-event-ir /etc/lirc/MyRemote"

When I hold down a button on my remote I get a bunch of .... on the screen, then asks me to name it, all seems fine .... I run lircd with the same parameters, run irw, and it does not respond to anything!!

I am wondering though, even when I do killall lircd, and hit the up/down buttons on my remote, the terminal window browses through my history. Is there a process running separate to lircd which is interfering??

I'm running mythbuntu 10.10, and a hauppauge HVR 4000.

Cheers guys
Any suggestions??
ok getting a little further but does anybody have any further advice on the following?? ::

I now have lircd running, added the -n parameter so it does not run in the background and I get output to the terminal. I have irw returning messages for each button pushed on my remote. Also, when I run irw, lircd outputs that a client has connected, and subsequently disconnected .... all appears ok!!

When I then open xbmc, I still have the up/down, left/right working (as they always have), but still nothing extra, even after playing with the Lircmap.xml file. One thing I have noticed though is that when I then exit xbmc and look at the lircd terminal, I do not get notified that any client has connected ... is this where my error is, or is this normal?

cheers
CoximusPrime Wrote:ok getting a little further but does anybody have any further advice on the following?? ::

I now have lircd running, added the -n parameter so it does not run in the background and I get output to the terminal. I have irw returning messages for each button pushed on my remote. Also, when I run irw, lircd outputs that a client has connected, and subsequently disconnected .... all appears ok!!

When I then open xbmc, I still have the up/down, left/right working (as they always have), but still nothing extra, even after playing with the Lircmap.xml file. One thing I have noticed though is that when I then exit xbmc and look at the lircd terminal, I do not get notified that any client has connected ... is this where my error is, or is this normal?

cheers

looks like wrong Lircmap.xml is used.
finally got it sorted!!!! .... with one issue remaining

basically with the standard install of mythbuntu, both inputlirc and lircd were started at boot time. When I try running irw after lircd has started, I do not get anything when running irw /dev/lircd .... but I get the correct events firing when I run irw /dev/input/event4 ...

however xbmc doesn't look at /dev/input/event4, it looks at /dev/lircd

if I stop lircd, then restart inputlirc, and then run irw /dev/lircd, i start seeing things like xx KET_SELECT event4 ... If I then name my remote event4 in the lircmap.xml file, things work ..... it might not be pretty, but I'm happy enough.

Then stopped lircd from running at boot time to cure the problem .... my only other issue is that none standard buttons fire an event twice, which is apparently an issue within the 10.10 kernel, but I can like with it for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help With Lirc - HVR 40000