neewbie need help
hey guys my name is darren i have used xbmc for years on my xbox1 and loved it so recently i decided to make a htpc so i got myself a mini itx board an Asus AT3GC-I dual core atom i installed 512mb of ram to get me going and a seagate barracuda 320gb hdd and a Nvidia GeForce fx5200 256mb and a generic htpc case with 200w ps.
right i downloaded xbmc live 10 and unetbootin-windows-494 and followed instuctions the installation finished i removed the usb stick and rebooted BUT
when it starts up i get the xbmc logo and then
Ubuntu 10.04.1 Lts dhcppc2 tty1

dhcppc2 login:
i am at a loss as to what to type in
any help please
really sorry if im doing something stupidHuh
right i feel like a pleb figured out the login and pass were xbmc. so now ive welcome to ubuntu blah blah blah
to run a command etc etc
see "man sudo_root" for details
xbmc@dhcppc2:~$
i am totally lost please help SadSadSad
what am i doing wrong
or is my hardware not compatibale
Hi
Have you checked here first?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live
Im a still new to all this so you might wanna wait for a more knowledgeable person Smile
anyway
Try to boot from the live install device again but select demo mode and see if it runs all the way into XBMC, then you will know if you have basic support for your hardware..If not then 90 % of the time (as your seeing the login prompt) its video drivers.
If you can run in demo mode then try a reinstall and stick to the recommended default settings..Is your net connection via a cable or wifi ..cable(ethernet) makes the install much easier, as it will try and grab some updates during the install
Wozza
The login prompt with xbmc live normally indicates that xbmclive have no drivers for the graphical card. if the card is good enough it should start working once you manually install drivers.
drnmalone Wrote:Nvidia GeForce fx5200 256mb
wait... what? entry-level card from 2003? anyway, with that atom-processor coupled with that card, i don't think you'll have much fun watching anything but very loosely compressed formats. since getting an ION-box (like, say, a Mag) is out of question now, I would consider getting a cheap current generation nvidia-card which supports VDPAU and is known to work well with XBMC.

These forums will be a great deal of help to you when selecting such a card.
XBMC on Gentoo is as good as it gets! :o
hey guys i took out the nvidia card and reinstalled xmbc and hey presto it starts straight away Smile
i feel like a dope
this is my first time building a htpc thanks for the replys will see how it works with the asus board Big Grin
right hopefully this will be the last annoying post
everything wotks but the audio is seriously low like i have to turn my tv or amp up to nearly man to be able to hear it any ideas ive checked the volume bar and the settings and everything is up full
would i be better off installing windows and then xbmc as an appBlush
Maybe it solves the problem by setting the volume in alsamixer:

1. Start the terminal
2. Type in terminal: alsamixer and press ENTER
3. Here you can navigate with your arrow-keys and set the volume of your sound. Press ESC to save and finish.
sorry bout this but how do i access theterminal
Sorry for being unclear, for this time being I don't have access to XBMC, hmm how should I explain this; when you are exiting XBMC, your are prompted with options to either shutdown, sleep and so on. There is an option where you can exit XBMC. This will close XBMC and the login-prompt of the terminal will appear. Login, and there is the terminal-prompt.

To startup XBMC, you can type terminal: runXBMC and press ENTER
Else if you want to reboot, you can type: reboot and press ENTER (or maybe it was sudo reboot)
drnmalone Wrote:sorry bout this but how do i access theterminal
long ver
CTRL + ALT + F1 or F2 to get to terminal mode user name password
ALT+F7 to get back to xbmc
sometimes the settings wont take if xbmc is running in background so
exit icon ~ exit xbmc (normally red square depending on skin)
when prompted user name password
at the prompt type alsamixer enter.
use arrow keys to move through channels and to up/lower levels
make sure the channels ect you need are unmuted they should be highlighted green,use the m key to toggle mute.
then esc key when finished
type in sudo reboot enter password when prompted and system should reboot.......

short ver
xbmc running ~ programs~ use audio mixer app ..Big Grin

only reason I typed in long ver is sometime soon ya gunna need the info (took me a couple of tries to find it Big Grin ) ...also google "basic linux commands" write em down ya gunna need them...

Wozza

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
neewbie need help0