Encoding Box
I really think AMD wins here. You can get more cores for less money, and cores are the one thing Handbrake likes more than anything else...

bmcclure937 Wrote:Honestly, they are extremely overrated around here and people tout their benefits without knowing the true value and rewards.

SSDs are small, heatless and fast. It is hard to overestimate their benefit in HTPC-land when HDs are worse in each of those categories.

For an encoding box, any old HD is fine though. All the money needs to go to the best CPU possible.

i agree with the CPU thing,,,
to me, the ATHLON X4 640 PROPUS at $100
is the best cpu for this kind of job!
price-wise Tongue

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz
4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
ADX640WFGMBOX
Agreed. And I understand the many benefits of SSD. But sometimes people turn to them as the end-all-be-all solution.
Cool AMD it is, i'm not currently able to build it but will let you know when I do!
P.Kosunen Wrote:Why to re-encode and lose quality? Disks are cheap..

For DVDs, my reason is that I like to have media details accurate, example: aspect ratio. A straight DVD rip will always be reported as 16x9 for any anamorphic dvd and 4:3 for any non-anamorphic dvd, regardless of the actual movie aspect ratio.

I can get pretty close to transparency from the source that I'm satisfied with it. Anyway, might seem silly for some, but that is one of the reasons I do.
gabbott Wrote:For DVDs, my reason is that I like to have media details accurate, example: aspect ratio. A straight DVD rip will always be reported as 16x9 for any anamorphic dvd and 4:3 for any non-anamorphic dvd, regardless of the actual movie aspect ratio.

MakeMKV should work?
gabbott Wrote:For DVDs, my reason is that I like to have media details accurate, example: aspect ratio. A straight DVD rip will always be reported as 16x9 for any anamorphic dvd and 4:3 for any non-anamorphic dvd, regardless of the actual movie aspect ratio.

I can get pretty close to transparency from the source that I'm satisfied with it. Anyway, might seem silly for some, but that is one of the reasons I do.

P.Kosunen Wrote:MakeMKV should work?

files created with makemkv will give the same behavior I explained, because makemkv is just putting the video into a different container, and on DVD all video is either 16x9 or 4x3 regardless of the actual movie aspect ratio.

I've kind of found a workaround though by editing the stream info in .nfo files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Encoding Box0