HTPC feedback needed
wondering if the experts can provide their feedback on the setup i am considering.

this pc will be a day-to-day pc (surfing the web, streaming video online etc.) it will be my main XBMC setup with a two-2tb drive where all my media sits (video-audio to reciever for bitstreaming)
i will also be using the computer to rip (not encode) my bluray movies to the storage drives
using the OTA card to capture HD programing (very rare)

[case] SilverStone-Aluminum-Micro-ATX-Expansion-GD06B
[processor] AMD Athlon II X4
[motherboard] Asrock 880gm
[gpu] GT430
[power] Antec-EA-380D
[memory] 4gb 1333
[optical drive] Bluray Drive
[capture card] OTA HD Tuner
[wireless] usb adapter

TOTAL: 526 (496 after rebate) (didnt count the bluray drive as i am exchanging my external for internal)
**will buy the HP IR to sync with Harmony remote + ~15

i wanted to confirm a few things:
the setup above will work together (any misconfiguration)?
I was planning on using my spare 2.5" 100gb 7200rpm drive for the OS.. or is worth to spend the 60 bucks (after rebate) on the 30gb SSD drive?
should i buy this usb OTA tuner card instead and save few dollars? ( http://www.meritline.com/mygica-usb-atsc...urce=s2010)
will the OTA card allow to pause live tv through XBMC?
any changes that would work better?
my only concern would be on the PSU....
altho its a really good one, ANTEC is a really good brand of course!
But will your hard drive be 'green' ones?
will they spin at 7200RPM?

Because if not, im afraid you'll run short on Watts with your current chosen PSU...
Since your planning to do alot of different tasks too with your HTPC...

Better going the safe way with something like an ANTEC NEO ECO 400W...
but theres currently a sweet deal on the ANTEC NEO ECO 520W!!
$39 + Free Shipp
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817371030
cant go wrong here Smile
my 2tb hard drive are the 'green' ones.. belive they are rated at 5400 or just a little less

my OS hard drive will either be the 7200rpm or the 30gb SSD?

if i decide with the SSD will the current power supply work? or get the 530 watt one?
Honestly, at $39, cant go wrong with the ANTEC NEO ECO 520W...
I personally would choose that specially at $39 in special...

Now, i cant decide for you regarding the SSD drive,,,
why? because for me its worth it, maybe for others,
the price-tag isn't...

But SSD's like we know gives you blazing boot times & General system responsiveness!
Since they are also silent, that alone is enough for me to convince me in buying an SSD...
but thats me...

Either way, you'd still be fine with a mechanical hard drive...
Very similar to my build. The CPU is definitely huge overkill, as well as the 4Gb RAM... but I am happy with it. And it will be good into the future. Big Grin

You could get away with dual-core and 2Gb RAM. Easily.
From what I heard a AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz is fine. Also a non-SSD is fine too. I have a 2.5 HDD and it's solid.
I will def consider getting the dual core AMD instead of quad.. belive its a saving of 40 right there

My other question is that the case has 3-120mm 'silent' fans.. how noticable will that be.. i will be sitting about 14-16ft from it.. but if i am watching a movie and there is a silent scene.. how audible will it be?
i wouldnt worry about fAns here faheem5...
Besides, if anything, like many of us do, their easy to change Tongue
I don't like any of these TV tuners. Its hauppauge, HDhomeruns, or a waste of money.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC feedback needed0