PS3 Media Server - ATV2
Hi folks

Could someone please point me in the direction of the instructions to set up Ps3 Media Server on a Windows 7 machine in order to stream content to my ATV2 XBMC machine.

I've done a fair bit of googling but to no avail.

Thanks.
1) Download the Windows build of PMS & install
2) Start PMS and go to "navigation/share settings" tab and add folders holding media.
3) On the same page tick the box for hide video settings & transcode folder
4) Go to "transcoding settings" tab and select each transcoding engine and click the plug icon to disable
5) Click the save icon then click restart HTTP server
6) Go into XBMC, select videos, select add source UPnP and add the PS3 Media Server (do not use the set content feature at this point)

(optional) To scrape the PMS server go into its listings in videos and you should see the folders you added, bring up the context menu for each one and select set content, tell it movies and run automated scan. Media file names should be accurate so XBMC can ID the movie.
Just use smb. No need for any server apps on windows.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Just use smb. No need for any server apps on windows.

Unless you are seeing severe buffering using SMB, and for many that have posted here (myself included) PS3 Media Server alleviates it.
Thanks for that

Cant seem to get it to show up in xbmc / upnp. Weird though because it shows my computer under upnp
I have tried to setup PMS to ATV2G but I don't think I have it working properly. MKV's still crash XBMC, and the status of PMS is empty, meaning the transcoding buffering status never changes. I added my UPnP device which was the PS3 server but something isn't right.

Any help would be appreciated. I really need to have large MKV files play. This is the only format I have Sad
Starstream Wrote:1) Download the Windows build of PMS & install
2) Start PMS and go to "navigation/share settings" tab and add folders holding media.
3) On the same page tick the box for hide video settings & transcode folder
4) Go to "transcoding settings" tab and select each transcoding engine and click the plug icon to disable
5) Click the save icon then click restart HTTP server
6) Go into XBMC, select videos, select add source UPnP and add the PS3 Media Server (do not use the set content feature at this point)

(optional) To scrape the PMS server go into its listings in videos and you should see the folders you added, bring up the context menu for each one and select set content, tell it movies and run automated scan. Media file names should be accurate so XBMC can ID the movie.

When I follow step (4) I no longer see any video files in the folders on the apple tv.
If if crashes just on your setup something is going wrong somewhere. Try leaving transcoding enabled, I'm not sure on the profiles that PMS uses, it may not transcode when it detects XBMC.

Or try Serviio as an alternative UPnP server although you cannot scan items into the library with this server.
Here's the thing, MKV's crash when using SMB on ATV2G. Not all, but the larger ones will crash XBMC. I have tried it both using SMB and UPnP with PMS but both crash when playing those larger MKV files.
Mine play fine and they are quite large. If you are having crashing issues vs hanging (they ARE different), then paste the crashreporter.plist to a pastebin site so we can see what's going on.
Just a thought: Have you tried to see if your NAS - or whatever you're using to serve your media - supports the NFS protocol? This is another protocol option which (I believe) is supported for library integration. Might be worth a try if the option is there.

EDIT: scratch that - NFS can't currently be done on iOS/ATV2. More info:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=nfs

And for those of you using PMS, you should try using this add-on to receive your media
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92310
roygbiv Wrote:Unless you are seeing severe buffering using SMB, and for many that have posted here (myself included) PS3 Media Server alleviates it.

I have tried SMB, PS3 Server, UPNP etc and I get buffering on 99% of the video files I play. I have a desktop w/ Vista that is connected to my wireless network as well as a Macbook Pro both connect to a Netgear Dual Band Wireless N router. The most luck I have had was playing XVID movies; I get horrible buffering on H264 and MKV files. I have connected my ATV2 wired to my router and still get buffering. If someone could tell me where the log file is located on the ATV would greatly appreciate it. I know there is a difference but I installed Bluecops HULU add-on and it works flawlessly little to no buffering. I am at my wits end and would really love to stream all of these movies I have. If anyone can help I would be very thankful.
Log file locations are all in this stickied topic
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480
procrastinator Wrote:Log file locations are all in this stickied topic
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480

Thank you!
After further testing on MKV's it seems that one particular file was giving me trouble. I played numerous other MKV's and they played fine without issue.

The place I do see problems is with movies in 720p that are .m4v and .mp4. These particular ones buffer every 30 seconds or so. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PS3 Media Server - ATV20