Best nvidia drivers for 23.976 playback with 0 frame drops
Hi all,

Seems like I have posted loads recently but here goes again.

I have just switched back to windows from Linux in an attempt to get rid of my dropped frames in 23.976 content. the issue is much less severe than in Linux but I am still getting the odd frame drop.

Could anyone who has managed to get rid of dropped frames all together with an Nvidia Ion setup please be kind enough to let me know which version of nvidia drivers you are using. The latest drivers seem to drop less frames than the second to last drivers but wondered if anyone had managed to find drivers that don't drop frames at all?
I don't know abput dropped frames, what I discovered is that 23.976 does not happen with Nvidia drivers. It's more 23.971 and custom resolution creation is so messed up that I gave up trying to fix it. Plus there's the silent stream bug, I'm getting so annoyed that I'm thinking going back to ATI Sad
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Done it!!!

After messing around for 3 days straight now I have finally got it playing with 0 frame drops. It was to do with the 23.971 framerate issue.

For anyone having as much difficulty as me check out the last post on this thread. With this custom resolution set as the windows 24hz setting I am getting 0 dropped frames, not even when the movie starts!!!

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showt...3212&st=60
Cyberkid2002 Wrote:Done it!!!

After messing around for 3 days straight now I have finally got it playing with 0 frame drops. It was to do with the 23.971 framerate issue.

For anyone having as much difficulty as me check out the last post on this thread. With this custom resolution set as the windows 24hz setting I am getting 0 dropped frames, not even when the movie starts!!!

You didn't end up with the other resolutions limited to 16-bit colour?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Interesting. I was never aware of this issue and it seems like a glaring problem... StareEek
Some of the stuff on the NVidia forum is over my head, guys. Do the Linux drivers have the same problem, causing the frame drops for 23.976 material?
mr.sparkle Wrote:Some of the stuff on the NVidia forum is over my head, guys. Do the Linux drivers have the same problem, causing the frame drops for 23.976 material?

They did for me, and from my thread over in the Linux forum, quite a lot of other people!

Strangely I didnt seem to get the 16bit resolution issue. The only problem I have outstanding (which isn't an issue for me) is that I now have no true 24fps mode. From what I have read windows lumps the two modes together but this isn't a problem for me as I have no true 24fps content.
bmcclure937 Wrote:Interesting. I was never aware of this issue and it seems like a glaring problem... StareEek

Dont go looking for it then would be my advice!
Cyberkid2002 Wrote:Done it!!!

Tried those settings, I confirm they lead to perfect 23.976 refresh rate as measured by Reclock after more than half an hour of continuous playback. But creating the custom resolution messed up all the others. 16 bit colour, not possible to switch easily.

Nvidia, Angry shame on you for crappy drivers. You used to be the best at this, now you're like everyone else.
@ashlar: just checked my settings and all other resolutions are still at 32bit... strange.

What did you switch to in the end? I thought Nvidia were the only cards that could do 23.976 (supposedly Smile)
Cyberkid2002 Wrote:@ashlar: just checked my settings and all other resolutions are still at 32bit... strange.

What did you switch to in the end? I thought Nvidia were the only cards that could do 23.976 (supposedly Smile)
For the moment I'm staying with my GTX 460. Supposedly the next release of the drivers should fix this bug with custom resolutions. On what version of drivers are you now?

If the next release doesn't fix it, I'll take a long and careful look at ATI's offerings.

In any case, since I sync to the display, resampling the audio (with high quality resampling, through advanced settings), I get smooth movement in any case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best nvidia drivers for 23.976 playback with 0 frame drops0