Remote power 'ON"
Hi gang, I recently built myself a HTPC. Everything is going great so far but I would love to figure out a way to turn it on remotely.

I have a Gigabyte Mobo and the highly recommended HP Media Centre IR USB receiver. In the BIOS settings I've enabled USB keyboard & mouse and I've also enabled power on by keyboard & mouse settings.

Does anyone know how I can configure my Harmony remote to turn on my HTPC remotely?

I also have the Logitech diNovo Mini keyboard and I can't turn on my HTPC with that either. I've tried double-mouse click, all the keys on the keyboard but still no luck.

The Gigabyte manual states I should be able to turn on my PC by "pressing the power button on a Windows 98 keyboard". Is there a way to emulate this with the Harmony and the HP USB receiver?

Thx.
It helps quite a bit to provide info on your platform. Windows, Linux, XBMC-Live, otherwise, we can't really answer your question.

It's possible. I turn my HTPC (XBMC-Live) on and off with my imon remote. However, the receiver is an Antec Multimedia Station Elite with a built in vfd and sits between the power supply and motherboard.

I'm not sure about powering a computer on with a remote. The computer has to keep the usb device "hot" so that it can receive the instruction. However, it should be pretty easy to set your remote up to wake your OS from suspend or hibernate.
I'm running Windows 7 but I don't see how the OS has anything to do with it. It's a function of the Mobo and BIOS settings before the OS even loads.

I've turned on all the power functions for the USB ports in BIOS. Even when the PC is turned off I can see blinking red lights on the HP USB receiver, so it's definitely "hot".
This IR receiver can be used to turn on PCs with the remote:

http://www.atric.de/IR-Einschalter/index.php

(not sure if there is an English page...)
aelahi Wrote:I'm running Windows 7 but I don't see how the OS has anything to do with it. It's a function of the Mobo and BIOS settings before the OS even loads.

I've turned on all the power functions for the USB ports in BIOS. Even when the PC is turned off I can see blinking red lights on the HP USB receiver, so it's definitely "hot".

The initial power on is done through the motherboard but there are various run levels that are passed from the OS that indicate the difference between off, sleep and hibernate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote power 'ON"0