New Macbook Pro's (early 2011) and VDADecoder
Anybody tried out the new MacBook Pro's yet with XBMC? It may be a bit soon to be asking that but seeing as they're now shipping with...

Quote:Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
and (in 15" models and above)
AMD Radeon HD 6490M/6750M with 256MB GDDR5 memory

...it doesn't appear they'll be compatible with the current VDADecoder framework, which doesn't seem to have been updated and still only references compatibility with "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M" graphics processors. Presumably meaning no hardware acceleration, although I'm guessing the i5/i7 CPU's are man enough to do H.264 decoding at 1080p anyway...?
Im guessing apple will have to release apis for the intel 3000 card before Davilla & co can start working on it. Even though the cpu in these can handler the load, it would definetly be better having the gpu take care of it.
RckStr Wrote:Im guessing apple will have to release apis for the intel 3000 card before Davilla & co can start working on it. Even though the cpu in these can handler the load, it would definetly be better having the gpu take care of it.

Agreed. And here's hoping that'll be sooner rather than later...
VideoToolBox API will handle this without sweat. The test app for iOS works under OSX too Smile
Videotoolbox supports the new cards allready?
RckStr Wrote:Videotoolbox supports the new cards allready?

Without knowing to much about it, I'd say that was likely. From an interview with our very own Scott Davilla aka the "accomplished Apple TV hacker and lead developer of XBMC for Mac OS X" Cool

Quote:"The discovery of the private API suggests Apple has been using it for some time on both Mac OS X and iOS to power hardware-based decoding. The VDADecoder framework is limited to working with H.264 decode hardware on certain NVIDIA GPUs, while it appears that the underlying VideoToolBox can work with a wider variety of hardware, including Apple's A4 mobile processor."
yea i read that, but this intel card is newer, isnt it?
RckStr Wrote:yea i read that, but this intel card is newer, isnt it?

Does not matter how new they are, Apple supports them under VideoToolBox APIs for quicktime and all their own Apps.
So if I buy a new MacBook pro today, xbmc is ready to roll with hw acceleration and all its bells and whistles? No modification needed on your part? If thats the case, talk about future proofing! Im impressed!
RckStr Wrote:So if I buy a new MacBook pro today, xbmc is ready to roll with hw acceleration and all its bells and whistles? No modification needed on your part? If thats the case, talk about future proofing! Im impressed!

"No modification needed on your part", did not say that Smile

Right now OSX uses VDADecoder and iOS uses VideoToolBox. VideoToolBox is planned for OSX but that will not occur until iOS merges with trunk. That merge is 'in progress'.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Macbook Pro's (early 2011) and VDADecoder0