• 5(current)
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive??
Choque Wrote:You normally don't write on the SSD you are using in an HTPC. You install the OS and that's it. From that point on it's normally read only

Well not exactly. Anytime you add items to your library, there is info, posters, fanart that get written. Depending on ones usage, items can get added or removed from the library frequently.
Except I'm considering getting a larger SSD and using it for the real-time data drive too, offloading to external storage anything intended to be archived. Or even using a small SSD OS drive and a larger SSD data drive. So the longevity question could be a genuine consideration.

Certainly people "wore out" early thumb drives, but I'm still curious if anyone has "worn out" a current generation SSD in real life consumer use.
gabbott Wrote:Well not exactly. Anytime you add items to your library, there is info, posters, fanart that get written. Depending on ones usage, items can get added or removed from the library frequently.
I got my info, posters, fanart stored in the same folder in which the movie is. And each movie sits in it's own folder which is located on my unRAID server Wink So there's nothing written to the SSD
Choque Wrote:I got my info, posters, fanart stored in the same folder in which the movie is. And each movie sits in it's own folder which is located on my unRAID server Wink So there's nothing written to the SSD

I do the same (with an unraid server as well), when you scape though, it still caches it onto the local xbmc drive (unless you specifically setup a sql server, but that is not the norm) so those items are still written to your SSD drive. You can test that by try changing one of your posters and fanart on your unraid server and in xbmc it will still show the original one.

The info, posters and fanart sitting on your unraid server are only read from once, when you scrape that movie to your library, then its all on the local xbmc drive.
Choque Wrote:I got my info, posters, fanart stored in the same folder in which the movie is. And each movie sits in it's own folder which is located on my unRAID server Wink So there's nothing written to the SSD

All of the fanarts get cached in the userdata folder though don't they?
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
gabbott Wrote:I do the same (with an unraid server as well), when you scape though, it still caches it onto the local xbmc drive (unless you specifically setup a sql server, but that is not the norm) so those items are still written to your SSD drive. You can test that by try changing one of your posters and fanart on your unraid server and in xbmc it will still show the original one.
Oh ok, I shall stand corrected then Smile
Eskro did a great thing starting this thread. I do find it a little confusing to read though.

Could we recap, please ?

Activate AHCI (instructions below)
Activate Trim ( how do you do this ?)
I think that TRIM is enabled automatically in Windows 7, but would have no idea how to check.
Get thumbnails to get generated somewhere else ? - how do you do this ?

AHCI
Credit to "BlameTheBird"

"make this change in the registry:

1. Startup "Regedit".
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services.
3. Open msahci.
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify.
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok".
6. Exit "Regedit".
7. Reboot your rig and enter the BIOS (hold "Delete" key during Boot).

Now in your BIOS you can select ACHI instead of IDE under the settings labeled "Hardware Management", "Integrated Peripherals" or something similar.

When you boot back into windows 7, the OS will now recognize AHCI and install the proper devices. Now the system will prompt for one more reboot and, voila .. enjoy the improved SSD performance."
thing is fishypops, depending on your motherboard, setting-up AHCI will be different...

The way your describing is if windows is already installed an running in IDE mode...

Doing your steps will indeed enable AHCI mode....

What i did was set my BIOS sata type to AHCI prior installing WIndows...

So i didnt need to enable it after the install...
Choque Wrote:You normally don't write on the SSD you are using in an HTPC. You install the OS and that's it. From that point on it's normally read only

Would you also use a SSD or a NAS? My thoughts is that unRAID, CouchPotato, SABnzbd, Sick Beard, Headphones, and potentially MySQL would all run on the SSD. Would you agree? How large of a SSD would I need on the NAS? Is there any particular brands that are good or to stay away from and WHY?
i dont understand what your saying,,, lol

i dont think i've seen someone running their NAS software on an SSD yet,,, dont see the point of it either,,,
eskro Wrote:i dont understand what your saying,,, lol

i dont think i've seen someone running their NAS software on an SSD yet,,, dont see the point of it either,,,

What do you customarily run it on then? I'm new to this, but have built quite a few systems in the past. So, I'm trying to assimilate the information as quickly as possible reading through the forum.
if your talking about unRAID server,
it runs off of a USB FLash Drive,,,,
its tiny,,,,
Star 
Disabling system restore? That has saved my bacon a few times... Can I manually create restore points..?
u can use 3rd party application like DriveSnapshot or AcronisTrueImage to
create a 1:1 backup of your C drive
so u can restore it when needed using their respective Boot CD Recovery,,,
I am interested to know whether the SSD optimization techniques mentioned are also effective when the drive is used as SSD cache in Z68 motherboards. I have a RAID 1 setup (with two HDDs) and 1 SSD used as cache.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Optimize SSD Boot Drive??4