My experience with ATV2 and XBMC
Just thought i would share my experience with my newly purchased atv2.

My Setup:

Wireless N - SMB Shares on home PC (win7)
ATV2 - HDMI
Optical Connected to JVC DD3

Setup ATV2 first and connected to home WiFi and checked update software
Performed jailbreak with the latest greenposi0n (worked first go without power cord)
Installed XBMC official version (after the install of cydia of course)

All working perfectly and first time.

SMB shares setup for movies and TV, all scrapped perfectly and fanart looks awesome (and runs very quickly)

For movies i run the sound through optical and have no issues with DTS etc and for tv shows run sound through hdmi to tv.

720 vids work perfect after a quick buffer at the start, but 1080 movies will continue to buffer throughout.

So far very happy XBMC/ATV2 user, it has certainly come along way when i was using this on my xbox 6yrs ago..
Thanks for the info. Just ordered ATV2 and getting it tomorrow and after reading [AppleTV2/iOS] Unofficial builds for testing! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED threat wasn't sure that XBMC will replace my HTPC. Now I think I can rest.
Thanks again Big Grin

S@
Apple should pay the XBMC developers IMHO. They wouldn't sell half the units if it were just the standard lame stuff we could use ;-)
yabbiman Wrote:Apple should pay the XBMC developers IMHO. They wouldn't sell half the units if it were just the standard lame stuff we could use ;-)

I don't know about that...
Do they actually make any profit on the sales of the atv2?
I think they sell it under production-price and expect to make profit on the sales they make in the iTunes-store.

So selling more units to xbmc-users will surely not make them very happy Laugh
It certainly is an astonishing price point! I was happy enough to buy two just for the AirPlay functionality (I wanted to create my own Sonos setup and anyone who has heard of them would know they're alot more expensive and do less). So for the past 4 months they've both been sat connected to stereos happily streaming music. Now they've been liberated!

2 years ago I was looking at building myself a HTPC, after doing a little research I aborted the idea and bought a PS3 Slim instead. It could play 90% of my media on my telly from my NAS, it wasn't pretty and slow to navigate but it could be controlled via Viera link which made it a seemless experiance (TV remote to rule them all). The Apple TV is less than half the price again and with XBMC is a truely fantastic product. All my friends who have seen it are amazed and want one themselves although all but a few of them will expect me to set it up for them...
Image Don't even think about my mother!
Fire69 Wrote:I think they sell it under production-price and expect to make profit on the sales they make in the iTunes-store.

Apple has never and will never sell hardware below cost. It's something they just don't do as a rule.
Yeah same here. I used XBMC for a while many years ago on an xbox I used to have. But im not much into gaming much anymore (too expensive of a hobby). But with ATV2 and that fact that it can be jailbroken opens up a whole new world of ideas.

All though I think xbmc on the ATV2 still has a little way to go its well off to an awesome start thanks to the community and developers. Much thanks.

I have ATT U-Verse U450 and pay the extra $$$ for the higher up/down speed as I use it for work a lot. I am trying to consolidate as much of the daily TV/Movie stuff done on my TV through out the typical day and would like to ditch the $150 (just for the TV service) a month bill since I can so-far replace about 75% of it with the ATV2 and XBMC. And the best part about it is. Since this whole area of Digital Home Entertainment via cloud services will only get better over the next few years it only mean there is much more instore.

I just got me a semi cheap BT Keyboard to use as the Remote that comes with the ATV2 is too slow when it comes to typing in search stuff into XBMC. I have not tried it yet on my ATV2 but it does work with my iPhone 4. Smile

I cant wait for something like Skype along with a Webcam on ATV2. That would be F'n awesome. I read that you can already do skype on ATV1. But I dont have an ATV1.

~SOL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My experience with ATV2 and XBMC0