How does this look to you?
My first ever HTPC. I've got an old box right now with (4) Samsung 1.5TB drives in a SW RAID 5 running Debian 6 and XFS. Use it for backups but mainly for my media server.

It's full, plus I want to redo everything so that I can place this box in my living room next to my 65" DLP and not screw with wifi anymore. Previously I was using PS3 media server and streaming wirelessly.

OK, the build:
[CASE]SilverStone LC10B-E
[PSU]Corsair CMPSU-650TX
[MAINBOARD]Existing Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
[CPU]Existing Q6600
[MEM]Existing 8GB
[GPU]Asus GT 430
[HDD]Existing (4) Samsung 1.5TB plus adding (3) additional of same, will do linux RAID 5 or 6
[CASE FANS](2) in front of drive cages, (2) to replace existing Silverstone fans in back: Noctua NF-R8 Raised-Blade design and SSO Bearing Fan
[REMOTE]AVS Gear GP-IR02BK

My goal here was try to be as silent as possible without spending a ton of money. Because this is housing my massive HDD array, I knew I had to put some fans in it to keep it cool.

My AV receiver is a few years old, a Denon AVR-3805, and it doesn't have HDMI. So I'll be using either the coaxial or optical from the mainboard. I read some posts on xbmc about HDMI bitstreaming on the GT 430, but I figured it will be resolved by the time I buy a new receiver (if I ever do, this one is fantastic).

Please give me your impressions. How loud do you think it will be from 10 feet? Did I make any mistakes? Should this run out of the box on Dharma 10?

I plan to do an Ubuntu install from a USB stick. I was surprised there wasn't an Ubuntu package for xbmc?

Thx
BTW probably my biggest concern is clearance between mainboard and HDD's, especially with the added fans in front of the cages.

Can anyone comment on that as well.

Thx
Hi there, not to be rude but,
i think your shooting yourself in the foot
when your trying to achieve the goal of to being as silent as possible
when your intentions are to place 7 mechanical HDDs in your HTPC...
O.O
eskro Wrote:Hi there, not to be rude but,
i think your shooting yourself in the foot
when your trying to achieve the goal of to being as silent as possible
when your intentions are to place 7 mechanical HDDs in your HTPC...
O.O

Yeah I understand. But the drives are non-negotiable. Any other comments on the rest?
pretty powerful HTPC you'll have their!
you'll be able to play anything including HD Audio!
Wow no one else? I was hoping for input, in particular with the spacing between the drives and the mainboard (with the drive cage fans)...

I'll have the system put together next weekend if there is time and will report back, if there is any interest on this thread.
there's always interest on new HTPC builds,,,
However please note that we dont get paid to give advices Tongue
meaning, replies aren't always done the same day....
u might have to wait 24 to 48 hours for a reply...
Understood. Just a kid in candy shop Big Grin. I've built a zillion PC's for over 20 years now, but this is my first HTPC so was just looking for some "feel good" posts more than anything else, lol.
In my opinion having NAS in HTPC is bad idea. I believe htpc should be small and silent. I would go for NAS + HTPC but its up to you.
nemek Wrote:In my opinion having NAS in HTPC is bad idea. I believe htpc should be small and silent. I would go for NAS + HTPC but its up to you.

Yeah I understand. But this is what works best for me. If I build it and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, I'll have to make other plans. But I think it will be fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does this look to you?0