Soundproofing like AcoustiPack or other foam
Has anyone used soundproofing insulation/foam on their builds and care to comment on the effectiveness of reducing noise?

I'm talking about cutting the foam and placing it on the sides and door of your case.

Something like AcoustiPack or Dynamat Xtreme. I'm sure there are many variations and alternatives.
Well I ordered some Zilla Mat 70mil sound deadener off ebay for $9.99 shipped, compare to Dynamat. I also ordered some Sonic Barrier 1/2" Acoustic Foam from Amazon for $9 each (needed 2 pcs), this will go on top of the barrier to help with high pitch noises.

Will report back later if there is some interest in the thread.
Sounds like it would help to reduce noise. I wonder if this material would hold in heat? that would be great if it works out well for you. Good luck.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
I read as much as I could on reviews on Dynamat and the like, including the heat issue.

Basically:
- don't cover vent holes, well duh
- don't let the aluminum surface (dynamat only) touch circuit board --- conducts electricity
- seems to not make any difference on heat if you have proper ventilation in case and don't cover holes

Here is my build:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=737834

My plan is to install the Zilla Mat on the lid of the case, and the two side panels. Depending on complexity and if it will fit, I may also try to install it on the hdd drive cages. The Zilla Mat is basically to reduce the vibration noises.

Then on top of that I will install the sonic barrier foam. The idea with the foam is to cushion/reduce the higher pitch noises.

If there is room I may try to install to the inside front of the removal front faceplate area as well, depending on complexity with the vent holes and etc.

For my particular build, the HDD's are the nosiest but I hope that even with (7) of them in this box it will still be quiet at 10ft.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Soundproofing like AcoustiPack or other foam0