SSD under control with backing HDD
How are you guys keeping your SSD under control in windows 7?

I have a 30gb SSD and a 2tb HD in the same box. Basically I have my downloads going to the SSD, but I noticed my USER folder is taking a chunk of space.

How / what do you guys recommend setting to go on the HDD as far as system files?
A SSD works faster if you use it for a boot drive and to run programs only. You want to eliminate as many writes to the drive as possible so it works more or less a read only drive. The first thing I would suggest, especially because it's a small SSD, is to download to your 2TB drive. It is my understanding SSD's will slow down once they start hitting near max. capacity. You need to give the drive room to breathe by over provision / short stroking the drive. Depending on the drive you have, GC or Trim need to be active to keep things running smooth. If you have a Intel board, loose the MS drivers and update them with Intel drivers.

Have you looked at the forum from your drive mfr.? There is usually a large amount of help and suggestions you can read. That would be the first place to start.

I'm not recommending any of this information as truth, so it's up to you to decide if you want to try any of the tweaks - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/708...s-7-a.html

Keep in mind most SSD's are not ready for prime time, depending on the Mfr. and model they seem to have very unique problems, and you "could" wind up with drives that won't boot or turn up "missing", or BSOD.
Always back up your information. Always.

Until SSD's become more "Prime Time" I would consider yourself a Beta Tester and would advise you understand the potential risks involved. As a example of what I'm talking about - One mistake on a firmware update and you could brick your drive. It will cost you shipping to send it back for a replacement, and you will have downtime while you wait.
I was without a drive for 3 weeks when my Agility2 died for no apparent reason after 5 1/2 months of faithful service. Yes, OCZ replaced the drive for free (if you don't count the 10.00 it cost to return it, and my time wasted going to UPS) but there was never a reason given to me as to why the drive failed, they just said I was covered under the 3 yr. warranty.

I'm very happy with both of my drives, but in the back of my mind I know there is always a chance something can go wrong. I would very strongly suggest you go to the forum for your drive and read as much as you can about any problems other users may have. And make a current Back Up of your information before you make any changes to your system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD under control with backing HDD0