Problems with HD .ts files
You know xbmc needs a jailbreak to run. So noone has experience...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I have exactly the same problem. Is there already a solution for this issue?
no
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
The only real solution would be to have transcoding set up on the PVR backend server. I'm pretty sure MythTV, VDR, and NextPVR, are some that I believe are able to transcode.
Has anyone tried remuxing the file in advance? The following command executed with ffmpeg should remux from a transport stream to a program stream without altering the audio or video:

ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mpg

I'm gonna give this a try and see what happens.
So I couldn't wait to get home from work so I started messing with a file I could access remotely.

Well, some good news to start - remuxing a 1 hour HD file took about 5 minutes which makes this something that you can do on just recorded files without angering the family, unlike a re-encode.

File size is slightly smaller on a 1 hour HD recording of Bones. 6.14GB down to 5.85 GB, I believe this is because program streams (.mpg) store significantly less error correction data in the header than transport streams (.ts)

Windows Media Player is much happier with the program stream compared to the transport stream in W7. I get the little preview image from the file, and WMP can actually playback the program stream, while WMP normally just shows me a black screen with the timer running for my HD transport streams (sound like similar behavior to our ATV2's to anyone?)

Now I just need to get home and try the file on my ATV2!! I'll post as soon as I can.
Well, almost...

File opens instantly and starts buffering then plays sort of, seems to drop quite a few frames and then and after a minute had to buffer again, but compared to my .ts file (which doesn't even always open) this is a giant improvement.

File is 720p at 12.8 Mbit/s bit rate. I am going to try a hard line rather than wifi and see if that helps. Try and figure out if it's a connection issue or bitrate limitation issue now.
Well, ethernet removed most of the buffering, but it's still not flawless video playback. Audio is perfectly smooth with AC3 passthrough. Seeking does work but can trigger more buffering.

Thinking this might be as good as it gets without moving to lower bitrate file, since we don't have hardware decoding of MPG2.
This is 720p mpeg2 12.8MBit/s via software decode? I doubt that. ATV2 doesn't have the ponies for soft decoding such - you should experience unwatchable stutter/buffer imo.
Yes, the end result is this weird slow down/normal speed cycle like every other second - normal/slow/normal/slow - with regular speed audio going the whole time, but it doesn't actually break up or crash - it's actually dropping lots of frames, not just a few as i said above. And this is definitely HD-Lite from my cable company with MPEG2 at only 12.8Mbit/s.

So if you've got HD MPEG2 files whether they're transport stream or program stream - GO FORTH AND RE-ENCODE Sad

...prior post update in bold, i think at first i was too excited that the file was just playing...

Normally tv companies send HD stuff using h.264. But in my country all of these are interlaced so the iOS hw decoder just pukes on them sadly Sad
The Hauppauge HD-PVR would be a good recording device for ATV2 owners, takes component input from cable box and encodes to your choice of 720p or 1080i in H.264. So you just lock your cable box to 720p, set the HDPVR to 720p and be happy playing your files. It's just an expensive route if you want a multi-tuner setup.
In theory, a Raspberry Pi could be used as the PVR backend, since it has both hardware video decoding (from mpeg2) and hardware video encoding (to h.264). However, I don't think anyone has taken advantage of this yet (not even sure if the hardware encoding is enabled yet).
Same problem here.
This thread is over 2 years old - doesn't fix? Huh
Same problem here. No

EDIT
Fix for german HDTV records (TS-File)

Code:
General
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
Video
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps

"Settings" > "Video" > "Playback" > "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" - On start/stop
"Einstellungen" > "Video" > "Wiedergabe" > "Bildwiederholfrequenz automatisch an Video anpassen" - Beim Start/Stop

Hardware: Intel Atom, NVIDIA 9400 (VDPAU)
Source/Quelle: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with HD .ts files2