making HTPC from old parts
hello every one
im looking to make a HTPC from some old spare parts that i used to own
CPU : intel p 4 631 "3.0GHz/2MB cash"
GPU : ATI Powercolor X1950 pro
Mobo : G31 gigabyte
Ram : 1 gb DDR 2

so can the hardware above run 1080p res movies with no problems ?
i havent decided yet which os to go with windows 7 or ubuntu 10.10

thanx for ur help
No it wont.
nemek Wrote:No it wont.

whats the weak part ? tha CPU or the VGA ?
what about 720p
and im intending to connect the card via VGA To HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable
To decode full hd u need at least dual core very fast cpu (~3ghz) OR gpu that can do this (gf 8 series or newer, ati 4xxx or newer)
i think PoofyHairGuy could suggest you something,,,
he's the hardware GURU here Smile
so cant some one tell me for sure i found on some other forums that the x1950 can run 1080i !!
What is the x1950 ? agp ?

I've got an 8-9 yr old athlon that can play 1080p smooth as silk. For AGP, acceleration/support is broken but you can install the hotfix drivers (8.x) and get results

This is the bible

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/
no the x1950 is PCI-E x16

zonex Wrote:no the x1950 is PCI-E x16

Then you should have no problems. Please read the howtos and especially read from the link I posted.

If you're too lazy to read then throw the card in the bin and purchase a cheap recent Nvidia card that supports Purevideo > VP3 and VDPAU > B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...HD.29_GPUs
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Then you should have no problems. Please read the howtos and especially read from the link I posted.

If you're too lazy to read then throw the card in the bin and purchase a cheap recent Nvidia card that supports Purevideo > VP3 and VDPAU > B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...HD.29_GPUs

thanx for ur response one last Q is the CPU related to HD encoding in any way ? and is the one im using ok for that ?
zonex Wrote:thanx for ur response one last Q is the CPU related to HD encoding in any way ? and is the one im using ok for that ?

It's only needed for decoding audio which is not cpu intensive.

As I said my inferior almost 10 yr old hardware can playback 1080p but the cpu is so weak that xbmc itself is excruciatingly slow :o

I think your cpu is borderline like mine your system may be able to play 1080p in a player like mpc-hc but without a decent frontend like xbmc it's a pointless excercise.

As suggested maybe an upgraded gpu like the Nvidia card is your solution but in all fairness you could end up spending more money. The 8400gs G98 is your best bet at $10-$15 second hand Smile

If it were me I would dump the noisy, power consuming hardware and build/buy new
The ATI Powercolor X1950 pro is useless. ATI really starting putting decent decoding in the 4xxx series, anything before that is junk for HTPCs.

The CPU is plenty fast enough to play 1080p with the right GPU, and you are in luck to have a PCIe slot as that means you have many upgrade options.

For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130536

That card, $20 after rebate, I have personally used to play the meanest 1080p files possible on a system.

Just replace the card and you are set in either XBMC Live (recommended) or Windows 7 (less recommended).

A G210 for $20 would indeed be a bargain
Your listed hardware will be no better than an Xbox as far as XBMC is concerned... it will struggle on 720p... been there Wink

You need as previously stated a fast Dual Core CPU or a DXVA/VDPAU compatible GFX card.... its not just the power of the card its the chipset on it... for example a 7900GT Nvidia is still a reasonable games card... but it wont decode HD in XBMC... the GT210 is a NAFF games card but it will decode HD. Wink

I've been down the road your about to tread and in the quest for HD - seriously a £30 GT210 Nvidia card will dust FULL HD!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
making HTPC from old parts0