Any way to speed up symbolic links?
I am using a symbolic link from my XBMC clients to a central Thumbnails folder. I have my Zotac ND-22 acting as my lightweight server. It runs XBMC, sickbeard, SAB, mysql, and has the Thumbnails folder that my other HTPC clients access. My other clients are on a dedicated wireless N network running at 5Ghz. I dont have any problems streaming 1080p video so I know my wireless connection is good.

My issue is that accessing my library can be a bit slow and scrolling through the library in showcase mode is little jerky. Its nothing I cant live with for the convenience of having a central Thumbnails database but was hoping there is something I can to help speed things up a bit. I recently changed to an SSD on my server which helped a lot. Is there anything else I can do? Perhaps clean up the Thumbnails folder to get rid of unused images?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What specs are your client machines?

You may want to look at DDS fanart and thumbnails to speed up browsing.
thank you for the reply. My clients are both atom based devices, with SSD, and 4gb of ram. Would that have any impact? Both of these perform well when accessing the thumbs when its local. I assume that the host machine capabilities have more impact on this or even the sharing protocol that symbolic links use??

I am already using DDS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any way to speed up symbolic links?0