smooth 24p playback on 50hz-60hz displays
Lightbulb 
Hi,

I found a nice AviSynth script that someone posted on doom9.org where it avoids the 3:2 pulldown when playing a 24p movie in 60hz displays.

This is done by using a blended frame (out of 2 adjacent frames) instead of a repeated one.

Here is the quote of the man who did the script that has all the info, including the script itself:

Quote:Actually I found a blending pattern to avoid 3:2 Pulldown judder.

Imagine ABCDEFG the original Film frames.

Then 3:2 Pulldown will look like this:
AAABBCCCDDEEEFFGGG
which will result in judder

but using

AAxBBCCxDDEExFFGGx, where x is a 50:50 blend of the adjacent Frames.

A script that turns 24p into 60p may look like this:

Code:

Input = Last
Blend = Merge(Input, Input.DeleteFrame(0))

Double = Interleave(Input, Blend)
Output = Selectevery(Double, 4, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2)

Return Output

I tried it and it worked perfectly, it is almost as if you are running at a native 24hz display with 24p playback.

So I was wondering, if this would be interesting to the XBMC community and if would it be hard to implement it as a feature?
interesting Smile
also if you don't need ac3/dts passthrough you can have perfectly smooth 24 fps @ 50hz by 4% speedup

Refresh Rate - 50 Hz
Adjust display refresh rate to match video - not checked
Sync playback to display - checked
A/V sync method - Video clock (resample audio)
Can someone give me a "HowTo", so that I can use this script for Medieplayer Classic?
sonic00 Wrote:Can someone give me a "HowTo", so that I can use this script for Medieplayer Classic?

It's really easy, you need to have installed and working FFDshow codecs and Avisynth, then in FFDShow properties under Avisynth Tab copy paste the script there and activate it.
ezechiel1917 Wrote:interesting Smile

Yes I do think this will interest a whole lot of people who don't have TVs that can do proper 24p playback and this will be a very good solution for them.

Quote:also if you don't need ac3/dts passthrough you can have perfectly smooth 24 fps @ 50hz by 4% speedup

Refresh Rate - 50 Hz
Adjust display refresh rate to match video - not checked
Sync playback to display - checked
A/V sync method - Video clock (resample audio)

But you are not really playing it at 24p, you are playing it at 25p. Wink
I wonder if this could be made to work with the (now dead) DS Player? I mean, AviSynth interpolation scripts work.... Hmm....

Nektarios Wrote:Yes I do think this will interest a whole lot of people who don't have TVs that can do proper 24p playback and this will be a very good solution for them.

But you are not really playing it at 24p, you are playing it at 25p. Wink

That's true, but the point is it's smooth. Your solution is not true 24p playback too, just another interesting workaround. Imo 25p > 24p with blended frames. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
smooth 24p playback on 50hz-60hz displays0