My First Time...
I have been reading as much info on XBMC for the last few weeks and am ready to start building / buying my first HTPC. I have see a lot of great suggestions and ideas and feel like I have a good start on what I want to do...

1.) Most of the suggestions I am reading (thanks Poofyhairguy & eskro !! ) are based on "small" boxes and are very concerned with sound from the HHDs and fans. My theater room has a void (space under the stairs) behind the TV I will keep my HTPC in. Because of this I don't need the box to look special or be super small.... should I use something larger? Better cooling options?

2.) Many are suggesting using a small SSD for the OS. Is this for boot speeds? Heat? Sound?

Thanks for all your help!
Andro Wrote:2.) Many are suggesting using a small SSD for the OS. Is this for boot speeds? Heat? Sound?

More speed than anything - XMBC loves thumbnails/images taken from IMDB/etc. for your movies/TV shows - so the quicker those can load when browsing your library the better.

For me, running an XS35 the heat and noise benefits are another major bonus being a fanless unit.
First, you need to ask yourself what do I need it to do now, what will I need it to do going forwards. There are guys on here who need it to become a server too or perhaps will want 3D in a couple of months when there new TV arrives. Others want a simple box for the bedroom who's sole purpose is to stream 1080p MKV's in a small silent box.

Playing Devils advocate, I would be looking at good bundle deal or something similar (Except the case, though nothing against it Eskro) to Eskro's build here Perhaps using a case that's purely off the shelf with the right PSU in it. Hell it can be as garish as you like with a giant plastic dragon on the front if it costs you $20 with 500w PSU in it and all your kit will fit fine if its going to be hidden away.

Because of this, being able to save on other parts by going larger, I would go for the SSD. in my next build, that will be the heart of the box, and possibly be the largest expenditure (I too can go with Lager parts if needs be, it will be about the best spec for the lowest cost)
Warren17c Wrote:First, you need to ask yourself what do I need it to do now, what will I need it to do going forwards. There are guys on here who need it to become a server too or perhaps will want 3D in a couple of months when there new TV arrives. Others want a simple box for the bedroom who's sole purpose is to stream 1080p MKV's in a small silent box.

Because of this, being able to save on other parts by going larger, I would go for the SSD. in my next build, that will be the heart of the box, and possibly be the largest expenditure (I too can go with Lager parts if needs be, it will be about the best spec for the lowest cost)

My "needs"... 2 boxes.

1.) in upstairs in my bedroom. 1080p streaming, quiet, simple.

2.) main box hidden away. I have no plans on 3D (wife does not like it) but do want to future proof for bitstreaming audio for my future (within 6 months) receiver. I would like to setup a server eventually but really don't know how i will do that. But the idea of using MySQL to sync both boxes sounds awesome! I imagine i could setup my main box to do this at first, then when my media collection grows i could add a server at that point.
Andro Wrote:My "needs"... 2 boxes.

2.) main box hidden away. I have no plans on 3D (wife does not like it) but do want to future proof for bitstreaming audio for my future (within 6 months) receiver. I would like to setup a server eventually but really don't know how i will do that. But the idea of using MySQL to sync both boxes sounds awesome! I imagine i could setup my main box to do this at first, then when my media collection grows i could add a server at that point.

1st Box: Perhaps look at Eskro's Thread Looking at one of the Mini-ITX machines.

2nd Box: Go with a real beast of a machine with plenty of Room for Media, Good Card (the GT430 is the current champ for Cost & Future proof)

Or If you have the room (and the funds), Go with a 3rd box...

Box 2 a mid ranger machine that will do all your GPU and audio needs.
Box 3 a dedicated server solution. Plenty of room for your Media (I think some of the guys are in the Triple digits for TB's in there storage arrays.)

Hey I'm still a relative noob at this. PoofyHairGuy and Eskro are 2 amongst many who's advice is worth paying for. But now you have outlined your requirements, finding the kit to match is slightly easier.
Andro Wrote:1.) Most of the suggestions I am reading (thanks Poofyhairguy & eskro !! ) are based on "small" boxes and are very concerned with sound from the HHDs and fans. My theater room has a void (space under the stairs) behind the TV I will keep my HTPC in. Because of this I don't need the box to look special or be super small.... should I use something larger? Better cooling options?

If its a confined space concern number 1 is cooling. You can certainly use a micro ATX tower (heck, I do for my primary HTPC) but get one with adequate cooling. A safe bet is anything Antec makes.

Quote:2.) Many are suggesting using a small SSD for the OS. Is this for boot speeds? Heat? Sound?

All three.

[quote=poofyhairguy]If its a confined space concern number 1 is cooling. You can certainly use a micro ATX tower (heck, I do for my primary HTPC) but get one with adequate cooling. A safe bet is anything Antec makes.

The void is sizable and currently does not even have a door, so the space will get plenty of air. I was looking at this from someone else's build http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811154094.
Andro Wrote:My "needs"... 2 boxes.

If you really need 1080p in the bedroom, then this won't help, but if you can tolerate 720p then the ATV2 is definately the ($99) device for there. Also streams Netflix, as a bonus!
Keith

XBMC on Acer Revo, Windows 7.
ATV2.
Intel NUC, Windows 7
Gateway Laptop when traveling...
For $100 I could live with 720p. Any other downside with the atv2? If my box downstairs is running xbmc live they will still play nice? The os does not matter, correct?
Andro Wrote:If my box downstairs is running xbmc live they will still play nice? The os does not matter, correct?

Yep.

The only issue with the avt2 is that it REQUIRES network storage, something I kinda feel is an accidental god-send to the community.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Yep.

The only issue with the avt2 is that it REQUIRES network storage, something I kinda feel is an accidental god-send to the community.

Oh yes. I could not agree more. Network storage for media and separate front ends is IMHO the only way to go.
Keith

XBMC on Acer Revo, Windows 7.
ATV2.
Intel NUC, Windows 7
Gateway Laptop when traveling...
so i've been looking more into the ATV2, I am concerned with video file formats. I would like to be able to "rip" my dvd collection onto my xbmc box in the livingroom and stream them to the xbmc box in the bedroom. from what i am reading here Wiki (bottom of the page) the iOS machines will not play ISO. Should this be a concern or am I looking at the wrong programs to rip my dvds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My First Time...0