[AppleTV2] Massive Lagging
XBMC on AppleTV2, SBM connection to the movies but this is the results..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkDfQIU9JtU

Sometimes it's even worse! I'm not an expert but maybe someone can help me!...Here the LogFile
gmeroni Wrote:XBMC on AppleTV2, SBM connection to the movies but this is the results..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkDfQIU9JtU

Sometimes it's even worse! I'm not an expert but maybe someone can help me!...Here the LogFile

1. How big is the MKV of Gran Torino?
2. Tell me about your router.
3. Are there any "older" (802.11 b/g) devices on the wireless network?
Hi there

Could you please extract a little sample file out of your Hancock.mkv file?
Like 60sec or so..? Smile
I need it to compare with some other mkv files.
TheRealDL Wrote:1. How big is the MKV of Gran Torino?
2. Tell me about your router.
3. Are there any "older" (802.11 b/g) devices on the wireless network?

1) a lot, but happens with all 720p & 1080p files!! All .mkw are up to 4 Gb

2) Belkin

3) I've tried with all devices unplugged from the wifi
Use a service like pastebin to link to log file. That why, the viewer don't have to download and open files in a separate program simply to view the log files. That's the general practice here on the forums.

For troubleshooting, have you tried it with the ATV2 connect directly to the router via ethernet cable? How about the computer hosting the movies? Is that also streaming over the wifi network?
dazex Wrote:Use a service like pastebin to link to log file. That why, the viewer don't have to download and open files in a separate program simply to view the log files. That's the general practice here on the forums.

For troubleshooting, have you tried it with the ATV2 connect directly to the router via ethernet cable? How about the computer hosting the movies? Is that also streaming over the wifi network?

Thx for the advice i'll keep in mind!...the movies are on a USB HDD (1Tb) connected to an iMac 2,4 Core2Duo & 4GbRam. The mac is connected to the router via ethernet...The WiFi is protected with a WEP password

Log File
gmeroni Wrote:Thx for the advice i'll keep in mind!...the movies are on a USB HDD (1Tb) connected to an iMac 2,4 Core2Duo & 4GbRam. The mac is connected to the router via ethernet...The WiFi is protected with a WEP password

Log File

I don't know about your router but when I have mine set to wep the connected device only connects at wireless g. Even if it says that it's broadcasting at N. Try to set a wpa2 password and connect from your apple tv and see if it improves the lag.

Edit: I just double checked. N does not support WEP encryption and it will be limited to 54mps
stevotdo Wrote:I don't know about your router but when I have mine set to wep the connected device only connects at wireless g. Even if it says that it's broadcasting at N. Try to set a wpa2 password and connect from your apple tv and see if it improves the lag.

Edit: I just double checked. N does not support WEP encryption and it will be limited to 54mps

Thx man....But i just have WPA-PSK i'll try that configuration i'll let u know!

Same as early...Set to the WPA2-PSK, but the lagging still remains...

Here another log file with a different movie...720p
Please use wired lan connection for your atv2 an post result?
If any firewall or antivirus software exist on your computer, disable it.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
alex84 Wrote:Please use wired lan connection for your atv2 an post result?
If any firewall or antivirus software exist on your computer, disable it.

It's really hard test the apple tv with a wired connection, cause the modem is far far away from the apple tv...

No firewall on the mac, expect the firewall function of the router & little snitch to prevent anomaly connections...
It would really be the only way to tell if you'd hook up the unit via LAN. (temporarily?)
My GUESS is that your wifi could be too slow, especially since you said it's far far away from the ATV. Wifi connections can drop easily 90% or more when obstructed.
yabbiman Wrote:It would really be the only way to tell if you'd hook up the unit via LAN. (temporarily?)
My GUESS is that your wifi could be too slow, especially since you said it's far far away from the ATV. Wifi connections can drop easily 90% or more when obstructed.

I've measured the signal strength and near the AppleTv i can gat the 45% of strength and 20% of noise...
Here's the issue with wireless routers. Not all of them are created equal. And then there are various interference at each location, it's really hard to trace down the root cause. It may be the wireless component that is the issue. Or maybe it's not. A quick wire hookup tells you yes or no so you know where to focus the troubleshooting.

See this article for example. You see how the various routers may have similar bandwidth capability under the same test conditions, yet one brand's router would have very consistent results compared with another brand?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/802....05-20.html

Consistency in the wireless signal is important for streaming solutions such as this. How much the ATV retains in buffer and how quickly it processes it will come into play and may need to be tweaked...but that will happen down the line.

In your particular case, we need to figure out where the problem is. Is it the wireless signal? Or is it something with your ATV2 XBMC install?
I really don't know! But i noticed that with a WEP password AppleTv doesn't lose the Wifi Connection, with a WPA2 do!...I can't figured it out if the Belkin sucks or if i screwed something on the appletv
It's probably not the ATV, unless you f*cked your unit somewhere.
FWIW a lot of wireless routers and ap's haven't got the needed processing power to deal with the complex WPA2 encryption algorithems and as a result drop dramatically in speed.
I have noticed this with even expensive units.
It wouldn't surprise me if your Belkin crashes under the heavy load of streaming WPA2 at max speed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Massive Lagging0