My XBMC Review
Basically, I just started using XBMC a couple of months ago, and I have to say that it's near perfect for me. Because of this, I decided to write a review of it on my new blog, KleoTech, the link to the post is below.

http://kleotech.blogspot.com/2011/03/xbm...eview.html

I just thought I would post it here to get some feedback, not only on my blog, but on the review itself. Anything that you feel I got wrong? Agree with me? I don't know, but a comment on the blog would be great, as would a reply here.

I'm not doing this to spam the link to my blog, I genuinely want some feedback about the review. If you decide that you like the blog while looking at it, then so be it. Smile
Nice review, I basically use it as an htpc on a Vista install and am using the computer to download torrents with. I don't find it a resource hog at all as I can play 1080p files at the same time with out stuttering.
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
treefour Wrote:Nice review, I basically use it as an htpc on a Vista install and am using the computer to download torrents with. I don't find it a resource hog at all as I can play 1080p files at the same time with out stuttering.

I think he was referring to the GUI, which does have a certain load even when idle. Not a problem for most people that use it as only a media center, but I can see the drawback of having it up and running on your normal work/game-station while doing something else.
Praesten Wrote:I think he was referring to the GUI, which does have a certain load even when idle. Not a problem for most people that use it as only a media center, but I can see the drawback of having it up and running on your normal work/game-station while doing something else.
Fair enough, as I said I only use it as an htpc with some torrents constantly going for the most part. Pretty decent review none the less.
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
Thanks guys, the feedback's appreciated, and yes, I was talking about the GUI, I just find it too bulky to use for music while gaming for example.

Any more feedback will still be great!
I think another plus under compatibility is the ability to play directly from an ISO image file.
Wow, I actually had no idea that you could do anything like that. I won't use it that much, but I can definitely see that it would be very helpful to some people, depending on how they use their media setup.
Great review, and a pleasure to read!!
Well done!
Thanks, it's nice to have some positive feedback!
Quote: it does take up a fair bit of your system resources even when it's idle and the window is minimized, particularly the CPU.

Respectfully disagree. On my atom/ion, the CPU never hits above ~30% - and that thing is as powerful as a 10-year-old Celey. You mention you're using XBMC on a PC with a HD5770 card, which should do all the heavy lifting with DXVA. I don't think you've set up XBMC properly if it's tasking your system.
Hmm, all I've done with XBMC is install it, point it towards my media library, and start watching stuff. I've never actually gone into the settings to change anything, so it must be an issue with the default ones.

I'll try and change it around a bit now, see if I can get any different results.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My XBMC Review0