Windows 7 Recorded TV (.wtv) files
Has anyone been able to play .wtv files? I have converted to dvr-ms and also tried .ts conversions and both start buffering and have choppy playback. WTV files don't even show up in XBMC so I don't know if those would play. Any mkv I throw at XBMC play great so not sure why these windows 7 files will not play. I even have an mkv that is 15GB that played great so I am assuming bitrate isn't the issue. I also heard there is a patch for FFMPEG that will allow support for WTV files now. That patch must not be applied to the latest version of XBMC yet though?

Any help or ideas of things to try are appreciated.
How about a different type of software that records video. I have the HDHomerun. Does anyone have an HDHomerun that they are recording broadcast tv that the ATV2 will play using XBMC?
Presume it's because it's not a suitable H264 video codec; the only format which has hardware decoding available on the ATV. Expect it's the usual Microsoft rubbish which relies on thrashing the living daylights out of the CPU to decode it as opposed to passing the decode off to a suitable graphics processor.
Does anyone know what format MediaPortal records to? Is this something the ATV2 would play?
MediaPortal records in the *.ts format. I have tried it same problem as the .wtv files. I am in the same boat you are in. Buffering/Choppy playback

I have an ATV2 with XBMC. I can play just about everything but my recorded tv shows. I have even tried using serveral dlna servers to do on the fly transcoding to no avail. So I am hoping someone figure out how to .wtv files on xbmc/apple tv2. Any suggestions.
I'd say this probably wont work...

Try using the WTV->DVR-MS conversion process, then feed the DVR-MS file to GDSMux (install Haali MKV splitter to get it) and it might be able to output the H.264 DVR-MS as an MKV file.

Alternatively maybe DVRMS Toolbox can do something with the file, it has an x264 plugin now it seems so it might be able to convert the video stream.
Try MCE Buddy out. I use that to auto convert to mp4 which does play. The quality isnt quite what i want. I am still looking for a better solution.
I have found a solution to Play wtv files. You need an app store app called Stream to me and a Prog called Serve to me on your PC.

Check it out here , works for me. http://projectswithlove.com/streamtome/

Pretty cool controlling apple TV playback from my iPhone!
Look up air video.. You can stream from pc to iphone or ipod touch or ipad then airplay them up to the ATV. Awesome. Smile
I tried Air Video. Both wtv and dvr-ms files say invalid. Did you even try these files in air video before posting? This thread is about wtv files....
I run air video on my pc then access them via the air video app on iPad or iPhone then use AirPlay to stream to apple tv. You need the latest beta available in their forum to get the wtv to work.
Ok. I got beta 2.5.4 from the forum and wtv files play on the atv2. There is some very slight stutter but this is a beta... The real question now is why cant xbmc playback wtv files? It sounds like this works because of the ffmpeg that now supports wtv files. Does xbmc just need this updated ffmpeg file?
Star 
Air video does work but you have to install at the newest beta server. Here is the link. http://inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/3039.page. Although it also uses ff peg to transcode just like mcebuddy, so same quality. Not really so great, but at least no more batch transcoding!
People please, please ease up the installation of fifty million other programs to do something that is so SIMPLE. WTV Files have been out forever. Surely XBMC can play these? Even Media Portal plays them with no issue...
I've yet to see a definitive solution to this. Is there a patch for ffmpeg or will updating to the latest nightly build do the trick? There are a lot of half/3rd party solutions mentioned but I've come across nothing concrete as yet. Any native way to solve this problem on ATV2?

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 Recorded TV (.wtv) files1