Scriptrunner - beta!
scriptrunner is something i pondered and finally worked on. it should be nearing the stages of an initial release tonight.

scriptrunner is a self-contained program, which requires internet access on the xbox, and will allow you to download new scripts (auto installed), run previously downloaded scripts, and will automatically keep track of any new updates for scripts downloaded through scriptrunner.

the program itself has the built-in functionality to automatically update itself.

the functionality, for the most part, is complete, but the interface is being worked on now.

below you can find a screen shot, provided by bigdeal.

check this thread later tonight and hopefully we'll have a link up for scriptrunner. (the initial .py file is only about 14kb, and is the only file required to run)
nice :p was about to do something similar but yours is definitely looking good
a copy is available to try out..

please let me know about any problems you run into, etc.

http://www.cenexlink.com/scripts/scriptrunner.py

-- the interface is just about done now, i think. (snapshot below)

:nuts:

looks the muttz nuttz, thanks

been waiting for a script like this.  :thumbsup:
how does it handle when items are already installed? not so well i imagine
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

is there a way to add scripts (i.e. aqtbrowser, xmovieguide) even if its not auto update yet?
an excellent attempt - thanks for starting it.

a suggestion:

the last time someone mentioned an 'auto-updater' the question of configuration files/settings was raised. your 'load.xml' files could contain extra tags dealing with particular settings that need to be dealt with eg:

Quote:<script>
<name>a sample python file</name>

...the usual gumf in your load.xml files...

<configure>
<file>ifilmbrowser.py</file>
<setting>
<variable>for_the_boys</variable>
<type>boolean</type>
<default>0</default>
<description>enable this for uncensored tag enabled</description>
</setting>
<setting>
<variable>rss_feed</variable>
<type>string</type>
<default>http://slashdot.org/index.rss</default>
<description>source rss feed url</description>
</setting>
</configure>
</script>

this would bring the variables up on the screen to be scrolled through/altered as necessary before 'applying'.

this would then alter the appropriate files accordingly. the files would probably have special comments above/below the block of 'user adjustable variables' so it would be easier for the script updater to work out where the variables were.

they could also be changed after installation and save people ftping to their box to change settings.

just a quick idea - feel free to comment/criticize.
just had another thought - might be worth documenting the spec of your load.xml. if the python scriptwriters know how it works,it takes some of the load off you - after all, you shouldn't have to do all the repository maintenance yourself :d
thanks for the quick feedback everyone..

the auto-updating (including the update of variables) is one that didn't cross my mind, but for the most part shouldnt be too hard to implement..

this version was put out because my head was spinning at 3 am.. Smile

keep the ideas, etc, coming and i'll get them in asap.
pike,
right now, it doesn't care what you already have on there.. that will be added in a future version.. i originally planned on that, but then i noticed there would be some updating issues, etc. i'll probably add a button to switch to "existing" mode and such, or just have it scan and put them on the same list.. really wouldnt be too hard, but would be troublesome when you run into a script that uses multiple .py, but only one main one.
(threezee @ feb. 02 2005,22:12 Wrote:thanks for the quick feedback everyone..

the auto-updating (including the update of variables) is one that didn't cross my mind, but for the most part shouldnt be too hard to implement..

this version was put out because my head was spinning at 3 am.. Smile

keep the ideas, etc, coming and i'll get them in asap.
once i've got the scripts i want, i probably won't want to see the other scripts that are available but not installed. a filter to show 'installed scripts only' might be useful.
cus,
that's one thing i was having trouble with. i couldn't decide if i should show them all on one, etc.. but because of a couple things in the script, i'd rather not have any actual "buttons" .. i may make a certain button to change lists, like the start button and such.

thanks!
instead of the filter, you could order the scripts so that installed ones were shown first?
cus,
yeah, i can do that. matter of fact, that's probably the best and simplist way to do it.. i'll work on that later tonight if my body can keep going without sleep.. Wink

threezee
i've done a load.xml for the v5 project mayhem aqt browser.

looks ok - if it'll save you time, let me know and i'll email it over

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scriptrunner - beta!0