database refresh question
Last summer I was playing with database refreshes and posed a few questions:

Original thread;
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77644

I since set down the project and I've picked it up again, and I have some additional questions Smile

jmarshall Wrote:1. You can't.
2. Rescanning your input source should pick up changes in local artwork, yes.
3. If the cached image is already there it will be used unless there's local artwork present.
4. The image is cached based on the CRC of the artist name, or based on a combination of artist and album name.

I've resumed playing with the db changes etc. I've tried updating my local with newer files and additional scans of the input source doesn't pickup the local changes.

Steps to test:
1. create a source to a directory called artist
2. Scan this source into the library
3. export the library, saving the artist info, fanart and folder files to the /artist directory
4. go into the /artist directory and replace the fanart file with another fanart file.
5. rescan the source into the library, the new photo isn't picked up. Which goes along with the comment that if the cache file is there already then it will use the cache file.
6. go into my /userdata/thumbnails/Music directory and clean it all out... ie nuke all directories and files in here.
7. Rescan the source once again, no luck none of files are updated.
8. go into my system > File Manager > Profile > database and delete the MyMusic7.db file
9. When I go back into the music menus, obviously the artists are gone etc..
10. Rescan the source back into the library
11. Voila my thumbs and fanart appear, however the artist information from the artist.nfo files is not imported as part of the scan.
12. "Query info for all Artists" however will re-import the artist.nfo files if present or go to the scrapers if that file isn't available locally. Or I can do a refresh on a single artist instead (but one isn't going to want to be doing this across hundreds if not thousands of artists)

But here's my problem.. once details are in the database or once a cache file has been made there is no way to update them via a bulk method without:
1. The complete deletion of the MyMusic7.db file and cache thumbs
2. Scanning in the source to rebuild the cache thumbs
3. Issuing a 'Query info for all artists' to rebuild the nfo data.

Shouldn't there be another scan that would detect changes to the fanart/folder images and detect changes to the nfo files. If a change is detected then the local files would override the cache/database entries?

Maybe there is but I don't have that option set in my advanced settings? I can see what the main advantage would be in doing things the way they are today, very fast addition of new music. Presumably fanart, thumbs and band info isn't updated that often, or if it is it would be done within XBMC itself; but for those of us wanting to do the edits offline, our only option is to start everything from scratch each time Sad
Try doing it with album covers. Changes to them should be picked up on rescan. Please confirm.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Try doing it with album covers. Changes to them should be picked up on rescan. Please confirm.

I went and changed the embedded album art on each of the MP3s in one of the given directories. The embedded art didn't change with the following scans:
- rescan of the source
- Nope it wasn't reflective in the rescan of the source
- Query info for all artists
- Artist information > refresh
- Query Info for all albums

So its a similar issue really where the rescan at whatever level isn't over writing whatever is in the cache/database. What's there is there, unless rebuilt.
So rebuild of database is the only work around here?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. folder.jpg for an album, NOT embedded art (though to be honest embedded art should have triggered updates but may not have re-cached the art) (you can just "Scan for new content").

Essentially what I'm asking is 2 fold:

1. Does changing art trigger a rescan of the folder, or is the folder skipped (scan for new content)?

2. Does the artwork update on said rescan.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:Sorry, I should have been more specific. folder.jpg for an album, NOT embedded art (though to be honest embedded art should have triggered updates but may not have re-cached the art) (you can just "Scan for new content").

Essentially what I'm asking is 2 fold:

1. Does changing art trigger a rescan of the folder, or is the folder skipped (scan for new content)?
Folder is still skipped.

jmarshall Wrote:2. Does the artwork update on said rescan.
Nope
Ok, just tried. The folder correctly rescans when updating any artwork.

However, the artwork does not update.

This is to be expected given the current code - it'll be taken care of when music art moves to the new texture cache.

Belgrath Wrote:But here's my problem.. once details are in the database or once a cache file has been made there is no way to update them via a bulk method without:
Then what we should be doing in the meantime is following these steps to ensure that what we have in our DB is true to what's in our given music directories. If one does edits within XBMC then we should be doing an export to the music directories to update that data, and if updates are doing within the directories themselves then in order to update the XBMC library one needs to nuke the db then re-import things.
If you change one or two images, then just Get Thumb/Fanart where appropriate.

If you change thousands of images at once, then yes, a rescan is probably the best way to go.

If you change tags they'll be automatically updated when you Update Library.

If you change .nfo files then I'm not quite sure what happens Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

(2011-03-08, 22:51)Belgrath Wrote: Last summer I was playing with database refreshes and posed a few questions:

Original thread;
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77644

I since set down the project and I've picked it up again, and I have some additional questions Smile

jmarshall Wrote:1. You can't.
2. Rescanning your input source should pick up changes in local artwork, yes.
3. If the cached image is already there it will be used unless there's local artwork present.
4. The image is cached based on the CRC of the artist name, or based on a combination of artist and album name.

I've resumed playing with the db changes etc. I've tried updating my local with newer files and additional scans of the input source doesn't pickup the local changes.

Steps to test:
1. create a source to a directory called artist
2. Scan this source into the library and then kick off the scrapers to Query info for all artists
3. export the library, saving the artist info, fanart and folder files to the /artist directory
4. go into the /artist directory and replace the fanart file with another fanart file.
5. rescan the source into the library, the new photo isn't picked up. Which goes along with the comment that if the cache file is there already then it will use the cache file.
6. go into my /userdata/thumbnails/Music directory and clean it all out... ie nuke all directories and files in here.
7. Rescan the source once again, no luck none of files are updated.
8. go into my system > File Manager > Profile > database and delete the MyMusic7.db file
9. When I go back into the music menus, obviously the artists are gone etc..
10. Rescan the source back into the library
11. Voila my thumbs and fanart appear, however the artist information from the artist.nfo files is not imported as part of the scan.
12. "Query info for all Artists" however will re-import the artist.nfo files if present or go to the scrapers if that file isn't available locally. Or I can do a refresh on a single artist instead (but one isn't going to want to be doing this across hundreds if not thousands of artists)

But here's my problem.. once details are in the database or once a cache file has been made there is no way to update them via a bulk method without:

Shouldn't there be another scan that would detect changes to the fanart/folder images and detect changes to the nfo files. If a change is detected then the local files would override the cache/database entries?

Maybe there is but I don't have that option set in my advanced settings? I can see what the main advantage would be in doing things the way they are today, very fast addition of new music. Presumably fanart, thumbs and band info isn't updated that often, or if it is it would be done within XBMC itself; but for those of us wanting to do the edits offline, our only option is to start everything from scratch each time Sad

(2011-03-14, 05:27)jmarshall Wrote: If you change one or two images, then just Get Thumb/Fanart where appropriate.
If you change thousands of images at once, then yes, a rescan is probably the best way to go.
If you change tags they'll be automatically updated when you Update Library.
If you change .nfo files then I'm not quite sure what happens Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan
I'm now testing with Fodo RC3 and the behavior has changed somewhat. Or is more convoluted.

A. I redo the steps as above from 1-3 in order to create a new export of the nfo, art thumb and fanart
B. I do steps 4-10 and everything to this point still holds true one has to completely number the music db as well as all the thumbs. however I don't see a /Music directory anymore as it looks like all thumbs are placed in the root. this is bad because I'm probably removing all of my photo thumbs as well
C. doing a rescan does not import my artist thumbs anymore, nor does the fanart or NFP infomation

Could someone shed some light on how I can update my fanart and artist thumbs within the /artist directory outside of XBMC since I'll be using many other sources of pics and then be able to tell XBMC to do a refresh of this info. Also, is there some way in which to FORCE a scan of a specific artist or folder for that matter. It seems that when a folder as been scanned I'm unable to rescan, not sure how that would work if I'm adding additional albums later on down the road...

I did some additional testing and it seems as if the thumbs and fanart (local) are somewhat linked such that if I go into artist info, and then say get fanart the pic will show up in the list, however it wasn't being displayed so I have to manually select it and then pop out of the edit window. This means that for an import of a library one would have to redo all of their art manually...
If I completely uninstall XBMC and then reinstall, add the source, then scan it all back in THEN my fanart and thumbs are all found again. Not sure what that would mean for all of the various art for the video side of things, but really I think we need another method of forcing a scan of everything again and taking the source directories over whatever is in cache. Bury it in an option and turn it off by default but I don't think that we should need to uninstall everything just to do a full refresh of the music database. Or allow for the nuke of the database and then a refresh somehow. I must be doing something wrong and I'm acting as a noob....
Anyone know the workflow I should be using here or could point me to a page that lists off how to do this..I've invested around 100 hrs cleaning up and populating fan art and thumbs and I'd lime to bring this info to another PC in the house.....
(2013-01-20, 23:53)Belgrath Wrote: Anyone know the workflow I should be using here or could point me to a page that lists off how to do this..I've invested around 100 hrs cleaning up and populating fan art and thumbs and I'd lime to bring this info to another PC in the house.....

?
I'm interested in this too. Still running Eden and looking to do the same thing. Being that most things in xbmc is very easy to update ( and for that, I thank you ) but you'd think wanting to update new fanart/covers etc , it would be a matter of rescanning the new ones in via a "update database" of some sort, and not having to delete your your whole database and starting afresh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
database refresh question0