mySQL db and EMM and scraping
Just a quick Q i hope!

If I use a mysql db located on my server, then carry out an update in EMM, what do I need to do to get my sql db updated to reflect the new additions? - or do I need to ask xbmc to auto-update my library?

I'm just trying to think about getting the bulk of the db either real time, or overnight, so when xbmc boots all it has to do is a quick scrape and cache the images locally.

Is there a way for xbmc to be configured to not search a website during scrape, as all my thumbnails, fanart, covers, other detail is handled already ... i.e. can xbmc 'scrape' the media files and use the mysql db.

apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

jt
If you use MySQL as the database backend, any updates on any XBMC configured to use it automatically add/remove/edit data directly in the database: ie every time you press "TV Shows" it logs on to the (potentially remote) database, performs a query to return the list of shows and then shows them on your XBMC session.

So I don't really get what you're saying about getting the bulk of the db in real time? It is always real-time. If you update the library with a new movie on one machine, and then access your Movie listing on another, it will be instantly present on the second machine.

If you have .nfo files for your media already, it should use by default when adding to the library, instead of using the Internet. If you don't already have .nfo files for your media, but have all the fanart etc for them in your current XBMC library, then export the data before you start.
I guess where I draw a bit of a blank is the correlation/relationship between my media, all with .no's, and that SQL DB which would contain the reference to my media.

So, I have a film called TRON, which is scraped in Ember and has all relevant data, coverart, fanart, nfo etc, and on that same server is mysql with the xbmc DB - how does that SQL DB receive it's update with the new film listing?

Do I have to switch on my appletv/xbmc for that to run it's update/scrape for that film to appear in the DB? Or is the DB updated already and when I switch on my appletv just the artwork is cached?

Thanks for the info and taking your time to reply! I didn't know about the .nfo being used over a web connection.

Cheers,
Jt
I think this is what I need to know: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87472

If I didn't have to switch on xbmc, maybe I could have xbmc running on my server if needed?
I think that you are getting confused about what happens when you change information in your nfo's.

Think of the nfo's as really no more then a backup copy of what the db uses for a movie. If you make changes to them, the only way that XBMC will use the changes is to "refresh" a movie, or remove source and re add and scrape. Make sure that you set content to have XBMC use local info.

Until then, you will not see any changes to your db.
jtonthebike Wrote:I guess where I draw a bit of a blank is the correlation/relationship between my media, all with .no's, and that SQL DB which would contain the reference to my media.

Aha, ok I think I'm with you a bit more now. No...creating .nfos with EMM does not affect the DB at all, it just creates the .nfos, fanart, etc and places them all together in the same folder with a naming scheme that XBMC understands. This means when you then tell XBMC to update, it scans through the folders, finds a new movie/epsiode, checks for .nfo files and images and updates the database to reflect the information it has pulled out of the .nfo files.

Editing the .nfo files after this will not change the information stored in the database, until you go to the file in XBMC and tell it to update the information. Using a media manager such as EMM means that you can manually choose your own images, or displayed information without having to do it through the XBMC interface, whilst the advantage of using .nfo files means that you do not have to redo all the things above every time you install XBMC. This is true whether using the SQLite default DB XBMC uses or the MySQL one, the advantage of using MySQL shows when you have multiple XBMC instances as it means you only need to update one machine to have it reflected everywhere.

jtonthebike Wrote:So, I have a film called TRON, which is scraped in Ember and has all relevant data, coverart, fanart, nfo etc, and on that same server is mysql with the xbmc DB - how does that SQL DB receive it's update with the new film listing?

Do I have to switch on my appletv/xbmc for that to run it's update/scrape for that film to appear in the DB? Or is the DB updated already and when I switch on my appletv just the artwork is cached?

The SQL DB is not updated automatically through EMM as far as I know; I use Media Companion so I can't even say whether it's a planned feature for EMM, sorry. Until it is, you need to switch on the XBMC machine and tell it to update library for the new file to appear, whether this is by using script or manually.

Hope this helps

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mySQL db and EMM and scraping0