[iPad] XBMC and USB WiFi Drive ?
According to this article

http://forums.ilounge.com/ipad/257869-ho...hotel.html

I can attach my IPAD to a wifi device (the Airport Express). This same device has a USB port for attaching an external USB drive.

Was wondering if anyone has attached the drive, and mapped it on a simple wifi network location, then used XBMC on IPAD to play saved video files or audio files there.

This would allow a very portable platform to play all your saved video, no matter where you are. the IPAD can also send the video out via the VGA or Component/Composite cable, or via an HDMI cable to your hotel TV with an open HDMI port or open VGA or Component/ Composite on it.
There's several solutions. You can set up your router with a service like DynDns.org and serve videos from you desktop. The only reason to use Apple is when you cannot get the functionality from something else. You usually spend too much and get too little.

Don't screw around with the Airport. Forward a port on your router to an FTP or SAMBA port on you desktop. Ensure you have strong security. Then register a free dyndns.org account like ktjensen.dyn-dns.org to your router. You will then be able to SMB://ktjensen.dyn-dns.org and all your files will be shared.

An airport costs $100. You can pick up a Linksys router (they specialize in network communications, unlike apple who specializes in high prices) with more functionality for $50, then add a 500MB-1TB iomega NAS (a server which will manage media for you ) with a iTunes server for another $50. You can serve that to a dyn-dns account for free... You end up with alot more functionality then a silly airport.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
ktjensen,
Which article are you referring to?

The link you posted is to a forum post from a user asking for help. Smile

Anyways, from my research of the Airport Express, the USB port is for connecting a printer. I don't see any functionality in the Airport Express which allows for USB sharing of connected HD like you are asking to do.

You may want to research for other portable wireless router that is able to allow sharing of connected HD. With such a device, you'll be able to connect to it with the AppleTV-XBMC.

Does the
outleradam Wrote:There's several solutions. You can set up your router with a service like DynDns.org and serve videos from you desktop. The only reason to use Apple is when you cannot get the functionality from something else. You usually spend too much and get too little.

Don't screw around with the Airport. Forward a port on your router to an FTP or SAMBA port on you desktop. Ensure you have strong security. Then register a free dyndns.org account like ktjensen.dyn-dns.org to your router. You will then be able to SMB://ktjensen.dyn-dns.org and all your files will be shared.

An airport costs $100. You can pick up a Linksys router (they specialize in network communications, unlike apple who specializes in high prices) with more functionality for $50, then add a 500MB-1TB iomega NAS (a server which will manage media for you ) with a iTunes server for another $50. You can serve that to a dyn-dns account for free... You end up with alot more functionality then a silly airport.

I'd have to very much disagree with this. I'm not going to get into a debate about Apple's pricing, but regarding their Airport Extreme (I don't know about the Express) Base Station, it's a -very- good router that is well wroth its cost.

Linksys, whom I once loved, has gotten a lot more crappy lately. Often they will still make a good router, but the firmware on it can be awful. If you do get a Linksys make sure it's able to be flashed by a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT.

If you don't really want to mess with things and have an out-of-the-box router that works great, then I actually would recommend the APE. However, if you don't mind a little extra set up then I would suggest looking into some of Asus's routers. I can't recall any specific models, but last I heard they had some that are compatible with DD-WRT, have USB ports, and are very robust and a fair amount of processing power in the router itself (for a router).
All linksys routers are able to be flashed now. They come out of the box running linux and are open source. If you don't like the firmware, you can contribute and test your changes on your own router!

The firmware was bad about 2 years ago when they changed the look of the router entirely. They were making a changeover to linux at the time and hadn't quite caught up to the point that their WRT54G series was at. They have released firmware upgrades for those routers.

I would definately stay away from the no-name brands. Bigger companies which specialize in one thing is always the way to go. Apple is a DECENT router for a high price. It does not have all the features I would expect for $100. You can get more for your money by using a stock linksys. You can get even more by using DD-WRT. You can modify the firmware to meet your needs. With apple, you have to hope that they have identified, isolated and fixed the problem. You can be proactive with Linksys.

Now, the routers are great. I picked up a N router with wireless printing/NAS/media server and high gain antennas for $70 on amazon about a year ago. Some of the newer ones are even better. Their E series is great.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
outleradam - will think about what you mentioned. Knowing NAS is the way to go. Can you recommend any router with NAS that is super small and portable? Need something that can be packed in my carry on bag, with my USB drive. Would like to spend less than $50 for a USB to NAS router solution, that will only work as an access point for my IPAD with XBMC or my IPHONE with XBMC; serving up movies, and TV series that I converted to *.M4V and stored away.

ned - I agree that the airport extreme can do this, but it is too big to be carrying around in my carry-on bag. would like something smaller.

Dazex - you are correct. the airport express will NOT work. it has no NAS capabilities. Am even thinking of limiting myself by just getting a 64GB version of the IPAD, and living with it.
What i know the airport express cant handle an usb disc. Its for printers only. The early airport express it was possible to use usb hdd.but what do i know? I returned mine to get an atv2 instead.
Outleradam - just experimented and reread what you mentioned. I think you are correct. But my upload speed is only 500kbps. I am too cheap to get a faster upload connection, right now.
Just my 2 cents... I think the AirPort Express is a very nice Wireless access point for the money, I'm in love with the AirPlay functionality and intend on buying more to spread through the house, the plan is to setup a "network" of AirPorts with speakers attached in a few different rooms, helps spread the network out and you get the added bonus of AirPlay streaming music.
bircoe Wrote:Just my 2 cents... I think the AirPort Express is a very nice Wireless access point for the money, I'm in love with the AirPlay functionality and intend on buying more to spread through the house, the plan is to setup a "network" of AirPorts with speakers attached in a few different rooms, helps spread the network out and you get the added bonus of AirPlay streaming music.

That sums up the AP Express (and maybe Apple stuff in general)... ya it's a bit expensive but it's easy to use, reliable and have features (namely Airplay, unfortunately no Airdisk) that set them apart. Too bad the AP Extreme didn't have an audio port for Airplay, 4 LAN ports like the rest of the competition, and QoS... I'd have bought one instead of the WNDR3700.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[iPad] XBMC and USB WiFi Drive ?0