XBMC Stuttering after extended use - Summarising Info ***Anybody Investigating?***
Hi all,

I have created this thread to try and summarise the information many people have posted about issues related to XBMC starting to stutter over time. Hopefully this will be some use to devs to try and resolve the issue. Here are what ***most*** people are reporting (there will always be one or two with different symptoms but they are often entirely different issues).
  • The stuttering starts when XBMC has been running for an extended period.
  • It seems to affect those who put their computers to sleep and who leave it running which seems to rule out a wake/sleep issue and point to XBMC gradually going out of sync over time.
  • It affects all video types, not just DXVA
  • It seems to affect a variety of video hardware from DXVA accelerated chipsets through to Processor-based decoding machines.
  • Affects both 32bit & 64bit systems
  • A reboot of XBMC cures it every time

Hopefully the above information is of some use. I wondered if any of the devs would like to comment on whether this is being investigated and a patch issued as it seems to affect a significant number of people and has been ongoing for around a year or so.

Thanks,
Michael
See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69245 - that thread gets bumped often but no talks about a fix yet.
what do you consider an extended period of time?

TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
dquille Wrote:See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69245 - that thread gets bumped often but no talks about a fix yet.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I am aware of the various other threads and have even posted in a couple myself. What I was trying to do with this thread is summarise the symptoms most most people are having and hope that a developer could give some kind of update as to when this is likely to be looked at.
tcman47 Wrote:what do you consider an extended period of time?

TC

This is what isn't exactly clear as it just starts happening. Some people report 6 hours, others a week. Mine is around 1 day.
Mine is about a day - have to reboot to sort.
No other processes taking up memory.

Still investigating.

Vorm
I've seen this issue on both my Core i3 (which goes to sleep) and my friends Atom Ion (which never goes to sleep). Restarting the XBMC process fixes it, so I wrote a little monitor process that restarts XBMC whenever it exits. I'm hoping that this bug can be found and fixed soon.
Devs... please, please, please let us know what is going on with this issue. It seems to have been ongoing for months and months with no end in sight. Has fixing windows bugs been abandoned? Is there any update at all?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82879

Just putting another thread I found on this issue here to focus/bump discussion. Again, I'm willing to put some time and energy in to support the devs in sorting this issue. I find it odd that this has been lingering for so long. I think one post I read mentioned something ~1year!Shocked

Not to be critical but I would have thought that smooth playback after sleep/wake or after an extended up time would be table stakes. I've been surprised to not find more comment from the developers.

To continue this thread's attempt to 'summarize': my experience 100% matches the described symptoms. I'm running XBMC 10.1 on a Dell ZinoHD using Win7 x64 and an ATI 5450 MXM card (v11.2 Catalyst drivers). I don't leave my machine on 24/7 but I do sleep/wake it daily. Restart of XBMC seems to solve the issue 100% of the time without need to reboot.
Sounds like a memory leak problem.

You can check if maybe freemem goes to low and the system starts swapping.
Just go into the system info page.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
not sure if this info is of any use but here goes.

Since I found this problem I have set my remote control to automatically shutdown and restart XBMC when I turn my TV on. This has been working great and, whilst not ideal, has resolved the issue so that I get decent, judder free viewing.

Today however, only an hour or so in to the film the juddering started. This makes me wonder if it is not a side-effect of being left on for a long time but rather something running at set intervals which makes the judder kick-in (python script running etc.). A reboot, as always, resolved the issue.
I think it has something to do with direct3d, but this stuff is really difficult and slow to debug, and my windows machine is pretty slow as well.
I can reproduce a similar problem.
intel CPU and nvidia GPU (notebook)

after a while xbmc is not used (one day or so) every movie is stuttering.
restart xbmc and everything is fine.

win 7 64bit, xbmc 10.1
Thank god I'm not alone !
I spent WEEKS trying to get xbmc to sync properly, I always had stuttering problems with DVDs, and sometimes even with 24p content, and I was sure it was a refresh rate problem... Then one day I rebooted my computer and everything worked fine ! And the following day the stuttering was back. If let it run for more than 24h it begins stuttering.

btw I'm running windows 7 64bit on a core i3 + HD5450.
Same issue as well. Box goes into standby as a default..

Previous V9 builds I would get stuttering after 1 - 2 months of use. A quick reboot every now and then was all that was needed...

Since 10 I need to reboot after almost every suspend and at times I cannot make it through a whole movie (all mkv) without stuttering. Reboot and all is good again...

Pondering going back to 9 until this is resolved..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Stuttering after extended use - Summarising Info ***Anybody Investigating?***0