Windows 7 dropping file shares
Ok this is more of a windows question than an XBMC question but I cant seem to google and answer for this.

I have a fresh install of windows 7 with only a few things installed. Dreamweaver, Coldfusion Builder, GetDataBack for NTFS, Chrome, VMWare Server, XBMC, and PS3 Media Server.

Other than the 32bit Windows 7 OS, that's all the is installed. This machine is a 3Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram.

I have two 1.5TB HDDs and they are both shared. Windows 7 after a few hours consistently drops the shares and I cant access them from my XBMC HTPC or even from the machine that the shares live on.

I have done lots of research and have changed a few registry keys but nothing has helped.

I got this from another forum and it didn't work
Quote:Apparently you need to tell Windows that you want to use the machine as a file server and that it should allocate resources accordingly. Set the following registry key to ‘1':
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache
and set the following registry key to ‘3':
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size
After making these changes and restarting, I haven’t seen this issue arise again. Fixed!

Is it possible that I need more memory dedicated to file shared or something? I have over 2TB of shared content.

I really want to fix this because I am tired of having to restart my computer each time I want to watch a video or listen to music.

Thanks,

David
What do you mean you can't access the shares from the machine they are installed on? You can't access the drives at all just the shared folder? Shares aside, something doesn't sound right here.

Not that is helps much, but I am sharing drives (both internal and external) from windows 7 with no problem. I can't see memory being an issue to just share a drive.

y
fiddling around with these settings may improve things on a real fileserver, with hundreds of shares. For such a small build you definately don't need them, so I suggest you revert them.
You say you can't even access them on the local machine, do you mean through the share name, or even when browsing to the normal drive?
I can access the drives, no problem. It is when I try to access them as a share. For instance when this happens d:\media in explorer works fine but \\kratos\media does not. If I restart my computer everything will be fixed for a few hours. I had a PCI SATA card that I thought may be causing issues but I took it out along with the drive it had plugged in and I still have the problem

David
I am starting to think I am having trouble with the drive controller. Yesterday I found the drive offline. It is a brand new drive. I rebooted and it is fine again. I update the Intel rapid storage technology software which is supposed to fix some issues. It hasn't dropped off since then so hopefully it is fixed. Window 7 dropping file share is a pretty common problem but I think I had another problem with the same symptoms.
OK, so I am pleased to report that after I updated the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" software, I no longer have this issue. It has been 4 days and I have not seen this issue since I upgraded.

Thanks,

David

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 dropping file shares0