[issue] Home Menu Images Delay
Question 
Hitcher,

Upon entering the home screen, after the menu image frames display I see the "Thumb Not Available" in the backdrop area (within the frames) for ~1 second before the backdrops fill in... is this intentional?

My PC is very fast for XBMC: E7400, 6GB RAM, Win7 x64, 100% on SSD.

thx for the help
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
The fallback image is loaded before the other image/s because they're background loaded.

I could remove the fallback image altogether.
Hitcher Wrote:The fallback image is loaded before the other image/s because they're background loaded.

I could remove the fallback image altogether.

I would, even blank looks better than a fallback. I'd have thought that the logic for fallback would be more as 'fail over' ...

IF <assigned image> does not exist or fails to load THEN load <fallback image>
I have noticed this behaviour aswell, and it really is annoying when you're used to seeing images load instantly. Since i'm popping in and out of the Home screen quite a lot while browsing around xbmc it's been somewhat of a showstopper in migrating to 2.8+
A possible feature request would be to split the "loading..." image away from the "fallback" image?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:A possible feature request would be to split the "loading..." image away from the "fallback" image?

I don't know exactly what you mean, probably because I don't know how the code logic works. I assumed that the skin engine had logic similar to...

IF <assigned image> does not exist or fails to load THEN load <fallback image>

... this way it does not spin cycles loading a fallback unless the intended image cannot be loaded (does not exist, corrupt, etc)
Apologies, I should have prefaced my post with @Hitcher.

@Hitcher: do you see the use in the above?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:A possible feature request would be to split the "loading..." image away from the "fallback" image?

I've just removed the fallback image for the custom home items (if the user has gone to the trouble of a new item then they should have choose an image) seeing as all the other standard images have are background loaded anyway.

EDIT: Curiously the standard item images don't use the fallback while the main ones are background loaded.
Great that there's no fallback image anymore. The issue I'm seeing is that with 2.8+ the blank frames can be seen for around ~2 sec on my otherwise fast PC before they are filled with the default or custom artwork. It used to be instant before.

PS! This is not the bug regarding no images at all, it's just this way when going from tv shows/movies back to home and as you can see there's plenty of time to capture it in a screenshot before the images load.

They've always been background loaded so I've no idea what's happened there unless it's a case of having too many items.
OK, it's weird then. I just reverted to an older release and there the images are already loaded at the zoom animation, but not the case with the newer releases (only frames loaded at the zoom stage). And don't think it has anything to do with the amount of items, since I've only added 1 custom item and rest is default. Can anyone confirm this or is this really only a problem on my end?
I had the same problem with custom backgrounds when I was using jpgs. Converted them to png, which made filesize bigger, but they sure load much faster. Got a nice fadein on each section now (custom backgrounds, chose custom icons of which there are none, leaving only text and background image) :

ynwa
Ah, come to think of it I did increase the fadetime for nicer transitions so you could try changing it back to 400.
Hitcher Wrote:Ah, come to think of it I did increase the fadetime for nicer transitions so you could try changing it back to 400.

I finally got around to trying to change this. But it only affects how the images are loaded in the frames after the zoom in animation completes on empty frames. But I have not yet managed to have them start loading at the same time with the frames.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[issue] Home Menu Images Delay0