need to mounting ntfs ?
hi i post here bcz i get afew command line how to mount my ntfs drive .i boot from my xbmc live usb that i made but i wanna know where to write all the commands for mounting :
fdisk -l
mkdir.......
mount -t ntfs ......
bcz i try this from my menu load ubuntu and it give me few options that i try all of them :
1. press c for command line before xbmclive begin
2. press e edit commands before booting
and the commands "fdiskl -l" not recognize pls help

where i need to put this lines ,sorry but i dont know linux
Have a look here and try and lay out exactly what your problem is I'm not even sure what you're trying to accomplish exactly so we can't be much more help until we know.
bolero76 Wrote:hi i post here bcz i get afew command line how to mount my ntfs drive .i boot from my xbmc live usb that i made but i wanna know where to write all the commands for mounting :
fdisk -l
mkdir.......
mount -t ntfs ......
bcz i try this from my menu load ubuntu and it give me few options that i try all of them :
1. press c for command line before xbmclive begin
2. press e edit commands before booting
and the commands "fdiskl -l" not recognize pls help

where i need to put this lines ,sorry but i dont know linux

Sounds to me like you're entering the GRUB command line, not the XBMC command line, and that's why you're getting the command not recognised error.

Let XBMCLive boot all the way to the XBMC interface, then press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and a login prompt should appear. Once you have logged in, you should be able to enter the commands.
ok thanks first u right i need to be in xbmc live command prompt line.
but even there i cant do this commands after i login xbmc and password xbmc ,im write this fdisk -l and nothing happen i dont get the list that people here say that i need to see my hard disk volume.
and when i m write " mkdir -p /mnt/my_ntfs_volume " . its say that i dont have premission to make dir .
when i m write mount -t ntfs/dev/.... its write me that i m not root
. so what the hell i need to do to mount my ntfs drive can someone help me from the begining until the end what to do and why it write all that .
im very disappointed
hope to get help soon bye
bolero76 Wrote:ok thanks first u right i need to be in xbmc live command prompt line.
but even there i cant do this commands after i login xbmc and password xbmc ,im write this fdisk -l and nothing happen i dont get the list that people here say that i need to see my hard disk volume.
and when i m write " mkdir -p /mnt/my_ntfs_volume " . its say that i dont have premission to make dir .
when i m write mount -t ntfs/dev/.... its write me that i m not root
. so what the hell i need to do to mount my ntfs drive can someone help me from the begining until the end what to do and why it write all that .
im very disappointed
hope to get help soon bye

Ok, so...

In Linux, there's a concept of privileged users and non-privileged users. I won't explain the whys (they're documented around the web if you're curious) but in this case xbmc is a regular user. The root user is the most privileged account in the Linux world, it can do anything on the computer. This means use it with care.

To run a command as root whilst being logged in as a non-privileged user, prefix the command with
Code:
sudo

It'll then ask you for xbmc user's password, and once that has been entered (the characters won't appear btw) then your command will be run as root.

Therefore to mount your drive:

Code:
login with xbmc:xbmc
sudo fdisk -l
sudo mkdir /mnt/NTFSDrive
sudo mount -t ntfs /path/to/drive/from/fdisk /mnt/NTFSDrive
hi my friend all i wanna do is to see my hard disk driver in my xbmc live media center.
i understand that i need to mount my ntfs disk driver that after that i can see all my folder in my hard disks.
when i log to xbmc live command prompat i do this:
first line im write is that " sudo fdisk -l " and i get alot of lines that i guess its my hard disks driver i have 2 hard disks :
1. is 500 gb that have 2 partitions:
c: my system win7 , d: data.
2.is 80 gb that have backup there is labaled in e:
and i have my sandisk flash driver that i boot .thats all my disks.
this is the list that i see after the commands " sudo fdisk -l "
sda1 * in the right place he write me hpts / ntfs
sdb1 * in the right place he write me hpts/ntfs
sdb2 in the right place he write me hpts/ntfs
sdb3 in the right place he write me hpts/ntfs

the rest list is i guess my linux san disk bcz in the right place he write me linux
so what exactly i need to write in the command lines ? i done this and this isnt work : " sudo mkdir -p /mnt/sdb1 (i guess this is the hard disk that i wanna mount or fix me if im wrong pls )"
the next line is : "mount - t ntfs/dev/sdb1/mnt/sdb1 (i dont know what is means but this is how i got explained or i wrong again after i write this commands nothing happen just its open alot of explains of mount commands function .and i m really dont know if i mount it or not i dont know what happen)"
pls pls i dont know linux and if u can write me here exactly what to write that i can do copy paste and its works i will be so glad plsssss and sorry about my english .
Is there any chance you can copy and paste the output from "sudo fdisk -l"? It sounds to me like:

sda might be your 80GB backup
sdb might be the drive containing 2 partitions (but might have 3 due to a OEM partition)

The command mkdir makes a new folder, it can be anywhere and be named anything.
The command mount takes a device and a folder as its options. It then mounts the device at the folder.

You wrote the command as mount - t ntfs/dev/sdb1/mnt/sdb1 There isn't enough spaces in this command. It needs to be:

Code:
mount<space>-t<space>ntfs<space>/dev/sdb1<space>/mnt/sdb1

Try this. If it doesn't work; a complete copy and paste output of "sudo fdisk -l" would be very helpful.
my friend how can i do copy paste in linux i dont know lol really .
i will do copy paste pls help how to do this and how i scroll up and down too ?
thanks my friend hope to hear from u soon

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
need to mounting ntfs ?0