[ATV2] Netflix question
Apologies in advance for posting this here but a search of this site, macrumors.com and others has not helped me find the answer.

I've been happily running my ATV2 with a Greenpois0n RC6.1 JB over iOS 4.2.1 and XBMC and only recently attempted to use Netflix. It will let me log in, show me my correct Instant Queue etc but will not play any videos. The spinning icon shows up for a few seconds and then it is back to the menu.

I can play YouTube videos, Apple Movie trailers etc so it doesn't seem to be an issue with network connection to the Internet.

Are people still able to use Netflix?

Thanks.
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
unmesh Wrote:Apologies in advance for posting this here but a search of this site, macrumors.com and others has not helped me find the answer.

I've been happily running my ATV2 with a Greenpois0n RC6.1 JB over iOS 4.2.1 and XBMC and only recently attempted to use Netflix. It will let me log in, show me my correct Instant Queue etc but will not play any videos. The spinning icon shows up for a few seconds and then it is back to the menu.

I can play YouTube videos, Apple Movie trailers etc so it doesn't seem to be an issue with network connection to the Internet.

Thanks.

The only solution I'm aware of is to exit XBMC and use the native ATV client. The netflix plugin seems to require access to a (windows only?) web browser and simply passes the Microsoft Silverlight stream to the render engine.

But of course I made most of that up. Except for the part about it not working.

Cheers!
unmesh Wrote:Apologies in advance for posting this here but a search of this site, macrumors.com and others has not helped me find the answer.

Thanks.

Did you try a reboot?
If you're attempting to run the native ATV 2 Netflix client and having this problem, I was experiencing a similar issue. I had moved the Internet menu using Overflow. Moving it back to the main level solved the playback problem for me.
check your dns...
A reboot did not help.

I have not used Overflow

Changing the DNS from Comcast to 8.8.8.8 worked!

It's weird that Instant Queue would work with the old DNS but not the video content itself.

Thanks, guys!
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
unmesh,
Known problem with Netflix streaming and DNS. There's a long thread about it on Apple's support forum. Changing DNS to Google's public one @8.8.8.8 resolves the issue for some but not for others.

The problem has nothing to do with jailbreaking or XBMC installs btw.
Thanks, dazex.

Did a little bit of reading there and it seems to be related to DNSMASQ which is enabled on my network.

Now that I have the workaround; I'm inclined to declare victory and move along Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Netflix question0