• 4(current)
some E350/HD 6310 results - AMD Zacate on MSI E350IA-E45
I fired up my zacate system today.

I have a Gigabyte E350N-USB3.

I unplugged the fan just for 5 minutes in bios. Temps got to 75C! This is just sitting in its shipping box, in a reasonably cool room.

Needless to say, fanless operation with the stock heatsink isn't going to happen. The fan on there is completely inaudible over the background noise in my room, however.
Yea that little gigabyte board has a pretty weak heatsink compared to some of the others..but I must say...still a better heatsink than you get with the ASrock or cheaper MSI board. I wonder if we can get any aftermarket coolers as an improvement? I did some swaps on the old Atom boards using Zalman chipset coolers..I'll have to break out the dremel again!
yeah it clearly wasn't meant to be used passively. Are chipset coolers sufficient for machines like this? I intended to run it in an M350 case, was hoping for passive. If I can get away with it using a chipset cooler I will mod it for sure!
yea the M350 is what I use, and technically speaking a heatsink is a heatsink. Doesnt matter if it was designed for this processor or some motherboard chipset. If you can make it fit, and it can handle the heat, then it's going to work. Perhaps a pair of these or just a modded 1u server heatsink using a low speed fan. An 60-80mm fan at low speed will push a lot more air than even the best 40mm fans.

Or maybe...who wants to see a water cooled zacate? lol

So what's the distance between does holes? (sounds pretty bad without a pic Laugh)
Hi guys,

Well i'm sorry if the answer seems obvious to most of you but on the subject of playing 1080i H264 content, what i'm getting from your messages is that XBMC does not handle dxva deinterlacing, but if you check automatic deinterlacing in catalyst center it will do it anyway?

That's 100% sure and tested ?

Thanks (a possible futur buyer of a zacate mini-itx board Wink)

[edit] i had another question: with automatic refresh rate enabled, is there any known issue?
Dual screen setup - HDMI/TV (sound on Digital Audio toslink) - DVI/PC Monitor
AMD PII 955 (3.2GHz) - 4GB DDR3 - Geforce GT 240 - Win7 x64
magnetik: GPU 76°C, CPU 45°C after 60mins of 8Mbit 1080p video playback, w/o GPU acceleration, not modded heatsink and fan turned off. I'm used to much higher temps with my old Atom 330+ION nettop with laptop-style active cooling. Smile
When I replugged the fan, temps decreased to 37 and 50deg, along with an annoying noiseNo The Akasa case has enough room to install any slim fan, if needed. There's 2cm gap between MSI heatsink and a case cover. I think 12x12x1.2cm Scythe KAZE-JYUNI Slim SL would be nice. (Wicky, is active cooling possible with M350?)

I'll test it further next week with case closed, fan removed and working GPU acceleration.

BTW I wonder what these temps mean - I thought CPU and GPU are on the same chip, so why are the temperatures so different? Big Grin

KiSUAN: I'm not going to disassemble my build, but you can download&open HQ picture of naked MSI board and resize it to miniITX size (17x17cm) on your screen Smile Take notice of vertical 5cm and horizontal 8cm line near the chips.
The distance between heatsink mounting holes seems to be exactly 45mm for both chipset and APU.
@babca
How does the Zacate build handle Skins like Aeon MQ 2? Could you try this for me? As I'd really love to use this skin and it would suck if it's laggy with the E350
Temps are different because the power being used by the CPU and GPU are not the same, the same applies to each core, each core temperature is independent of the others as power delivered to each core is separate from the other and power consumption depends on the task and load of each core.

E-350 Max Temp is of 90º so you are not so easy in temps in fanless, if you are in a room with controlled temps and the readings you took are for max work load you are safe, but if not I suggest you start looking for something to help decrease that temps as you can go 10º up with no haze. Also, looking at your build I would keep an eye on that SSD as it look pretty cramped and without much air flow, safe operating temps for it are from 0º to 70º.

Already had that pic, the thing is using pic for measure won't suffice for me, too much margin of error and I was just asking, so no worries.
How to check chipset temperature?

KiSUAN: According to specs, a maximum allowed temperature for Atom 330 is 85º. My nettop runs at 86º all the time and 92º when playing HD since 2009 with no issues Laugh a critical temp is around 96º when it becomes unstable.

KiSUAN: I think 80deg will be max temp I will achieve on MSI board, but I could be wrong. It needs further testing. I wouldn't mind installing a silent fan, not spinning most of the time, starting at 85 or 80deg - this would be possibly the best solution.
Fortunately SDD is not HDD, Kinston is not heating up. @all: I'll test my build thoroughly during this week. @Choque: ok, but later
Zacate isn't Atom, as well as a Atom 330 isn't a 525 and they have different max temps, 100ºC for the 525, so what might be fine for X CPU probably won't be for Y CPU.

For example, a P 2160 has max temp of 73.3º but I've tortured several of them to around 100º, this is only because it has little and none thermal safeguards, the architecture and node helps also, thanks to that I have the world record OC with that CPU in air and mixed results under LN2 being always in top10. Anyway, if you try to do the same with for example a C2D 7400 you are in a hard road, iv'e toasted one (not my first or last) in the process of pushing it as far as I could, the max temp is 74.1º and they hardly can get stable at 90º. Then take a core i7 870, max temp 72.7º, with luck you can get 75º without getting a shutdown immediately and at 70º almost every time unstable, they have proper thermal monitoring, not like a Pentium or a CD2. So what's the point of all this, simply that as you get more up to date tech/cpus they have better thermal monitoring and don't get pass the specs given by manufacture.

Also, if you push an electrical component to higher temps you will have more chances of errors and degradation of the component will be way higher, this happens even faster with every new node shrink/new architecture, almost all Pentiums I've had continue to OC at the same voltages without problems, C2D after 2 years of 24/7 presents degradation and Core i is a pain, they don't last a year, same applies to GPUs. So it's always recommended to run your whatever as low temp as you can. You might not notice this in the long run until a day you power up your pc and it can't boot to the OS without errors, you lower the clocks and voltages and then you can, running at stock specs you have little chance to see this happen, but hi temps will not help you.

All this said, Zacate is 40nm, it has a GPU on die and I feel pretty sure has pretty tight thermal parameters/monitoring. I've made some builds with Zacate (Asus and Asrock) at work, sadly didn't have the chance to test it extensible and push the little bastard, not even a little OC yet, as soon this boards arrives or a build is finish they rip them of my hands Sad

Everything said is keeping in mind your hard will work for long time without problem.

HWMonitor gives you the chipset temp, depends in the mobo how its call, but usually is the first temp reading after the voltages, as you only have one chipset there should only one reading there, that should be the chipset.
well Atom and Zacate are in the same performance class, zacate is faster but it is still slower than the typical 65w dual core you would get with an Athlon X2 or the Core based Celerons.

I would not consider zacate or atom to be high end platforms. Scrolling through 700 movies it is slower to navigate and load fan art than the e3200 I was previously using. I made the trade off to go towards lower power and smaller form factor, which zacate met.

So really, if you have tried Aeon MQ 2 on Atom, expect zacate to be slightly faster.
wicky Wrote:I made the trade off to go towards lower power and smaller form factor, which zacate met

i agree too...
the biggest trade off of having a mini-ITX HTPC is its overall performance
compared to a micro-ATX form factor....

So either prefer getting a system that has a small power consumption
and form factor

or either prefer getting a system thats bigger in size and has enhanced performance....

Smile
wicky Wrote:I would not consider zacate or atom to be high end platforms. Scrolling through 700 movies it is slower to navigate and load fan art than the e3400 I was previously using. I made the trade off to go towards lower power and smaller form factor, which zacate met.

So really, if you have tried Aeon MQ 2 on Atom, expect zacate to be slightly faster.

Firstly, thanks wicky for an excellent thread - you've posted a lot of valuable information.

Just got a query ... Have you done any analysis as to where the bottleneck is ? What exactly is the CPU waiting on ? etc.

I've primarily been using Aeon NOX and have found it to perform fluidly through walls of photos and navigating movies. I may just install MQ2 and do some traces myself but not this evening Wink
babca Wrote:My final Zacate build:

The case seems quite large on the pictures, but it's not Smile

That case is identical to the Aplus CS160, I decided against it after struggling to get my ASRock E350M1 and HDD into it, it was just too tight for me. In the end I went with a Compucase 8K01 but I am finding the included FlexATX PSU runs too hot and too noisy, so I have ordered a PicoPSU 80watts. I have also ordered a 60mm case fan as I am finding the CPU and GPU runs at approx. 55degC when under load with a 720p movie. I also find power consumption to be 45watts under load which I think is possibly a very inefficient PSU issue, The PSU draws 1watt when it is off.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
some E350/HD 6310 results - AMD Zacate on MSI E350IA-E452